Good
    Summer of love
    Blackout
    Get Out Of Your Own Way
    Red Flag Day
    Book Of Your Heart

Mediocre
    Love is all we have left
    Best Thing (acoustic live version is good)

Poor
    Showman
    American soul
  3. The Best Thing is actually the worst thing.
  4. All my opinion, but below is how I feel about these songs.

As stand alone songs:
    -Little Things 10/10 (top 3 best U2 songs of the 2000’s)
    -Love Is All We Have Left 7/10 (love experimental U2)
    -Red Flag Day 9/10
    -Summer of Love 8/10

Better In a live setting/set list placement than on record:
    -Lights of Home 10/10
    -Blackout 7/10 (Chaplin intro is top 3 show openers for me personally it’s so so great. The Blackout just misses some “oomph.” Wish it was dirtier and heavier like the sample they posted on Instagram.
    -Best Thing 8/10 (LOVE the stripped down version right after the fast paced elevation-vertigo-real thing- then of course the dark Acrobat. Perfectly placed)

The okay songs:
    -Showman (fun little pop song. Nothing to take too seriously. Better than wild honey)
    -Book of Your Heart (I like the editing and approach so much. Pretty straight forward, just the 4 guys and no BS.)
    -Get Out Of Your Own Way (not great, not bad. Nice little tune, glad it was on the album and played live)

Bad:
    -American Soul (couldn’t work without Kendrick Lamars intro imo. Similarly to The Blackout, it’s just missing some “oomph”.... a lot of oomph actually. Like what even is that solo? That one note string bend was the best edge could come up with? Glastonbury is miles above AS.)
    -Landlady (endearing, but pretty boring imo. It just never goes anywhere. Would’ve been better served as a B side)
    -Love Is Bigger (their best attempt at going full blown pop. Again, endearing but it just never connected with me. I tried sooo hard to get into it because I know it’s a favorite here but it’s just never clicked with me)
    -13 (yeeeesh. It’s sooo boring. The best part of the song is the chorus but identical to the chorus from their song from 3 years prior. Sounds like it should be on Disney movie. Endearing because it’s a “letter to Bono’s sons” but man...it could’ve been left off the album.)
  5. My unpopular opinion: Little Things is overhyped because of the ending. The build up is very slow and some lyrics are just corny ("you were talking at me, not to me," really?) I put it in the Good category only,
  6. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:My unpopular opinion: Little Things is overhyped because of the ending. The build up is very slow and some lyrics are just corny ("you were talking at me, not to me," really?) I put it in the Good category only,
    Fair point.

A lot of the lyrics on SOE are trash. But at least the "every door smells of fresh paint" line was removed from The Best Thing. But still, it's a terrible song.
  7. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:My unpopular opinion: Little Things is overhyped because of the ending. The build up is very slow and some lyrics are just corny ("you were talking at me, not to me," really?) I put it in the Good category only,
    Your opinion will remain unpopular, imho. Little Things is the best song of U2 post-2000.
  8. The build up of Little Things is the best thing of this jem of a song.
  9. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:[..]
    Fair point.

A lot of the lyrics on SOE are trash. But at least the "every door smells of fresh paint" line was removed from The Best Thing. But still, it's a terrible song.
    I dunno if you are trying to be provocative to keep interest in the forum going , maybe you don't understand the lyrics or are just looking for attention but hey you got it.
  10. Originally posted by ferrari:Ok, my opinion about the SOE songs:

Great:
    Book Of Your Heart
    The Little Things That Give You Away

Good:
    Red Flag Day
    Landlady

Average but live way better:
    The Blackout
    Get Out Of Your Own Way
    American Soul

Below average/boring:
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    Love Is All We Have Left
    13 (There Is A Light)
    Summer Of Love
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    The Showman (Little More Better)

SOE is the U2 record with for me the the least number of great/good songs and most Average songs.

Exactly my ranking!
    Perhaps i could lift up Best Thing one level, the acustic studio.
  11. The little things lyrics have a Stay vibe in my opinion. Take the music and melodies out of it and look at the poem itself and you have some similarities in regards to its simplicity. “You were talking at me, not to me” vs “And when you talk, you talk at me”