1. I guess I'm starting to search for a next favourite band then
  2. I don't know if we'll know when they are done...I kind of feel like they wouldn't want to say "This is it" and then get creative and be ready for another album and stuff... which is kind of why I feel like they wouldn't end with an album called Man just in case they came back.

That being said albums called Songs of Innocence and Experience do seem like they could be an ending point.

3. +1
    As long as they can find melodies and riffs they will never stop making music!!
  4. The question I have about Songs of Experience (assuming it is released in the next year or so) is whether it is going to be a commercial, radio-friendly album like SOI that is trying to reclaim the throne of biggest band in the world, or whether it will be a more lyrically and musically sophisticated album, a complement to the singles-heavy SOI.
  5. Originally posted by BonoIsTheMessiah:The question I have about Songs of Experience (assuming it is released in the next year or so) is whether it is going to be a commercial, radio-friendly album like SOI that is trying to reclaim the throne of biggest band in the world, or whether it will be a more lyrically and musically sophisticated album, a complement to the singles-heavy SOI.

I hope it will be a more Zooropa kind of release, so the latter.
  6. Originally posted by BonoIsTheMessiah:The question I have about Songs of Experience (assuming it is released in the next year or so) is whether it is going to be a commercial, radio-friendly album like SOI that is trying to reclaim the throne of biggest band in the world, or whether it will be a more lyrically and musically sophisticated album, a complement to the singles-heavy SOI.

I kind of want more of the same. One last kick at being the best.
  7. If you ask me, I don't think U2 tried to retake the throne with SOI. They practically stormed the Bastille and took it by force. It doesn't matter if people like them or not, everyone is talking about U2. And if you use itunes, you're seeing U2 and Bono's mug on a daily basis. If their mission was to reclaim the top spot, mission accomplished.

My interpretation of all of information we've got is that U2 came into this album release with a well defined plan for their next couple albums. SOI didn't really have a central theme from a musical standpoint, but the lyrical theme was pretty obvious. That being said, the next albums may continue that trend of musical variety accompanied by lyrical cohesion.
  8. Originally posted by BonoIsTheMessiah:The question I have about Songs of Experience (assuming it is released in the next year or so) is whether it is going to be a commercial, radio-friendly album like SOI that is trying to reclaim the throne of biggest band in the world, or whether it will be a more lyrically and musically sophisticated album, a complement to the singles-heavy SOI.

Everybody's saying that there is no song in the album that stands out from the others and it's all pretty homogeneous, and you say it's single-heavy? lol... Everybody's entitled to their own opinion of course, but I can't really see your point
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Everybody's saying that there is no song in the album that stands out from the others and it's all pretty homogeneous, and you say it's single-heavy? lol... Everybody's entitled to their own opinion of course, but I can't really see your point

But then again, if all of them are practically qualitatively equivalent, then every song must theoretically be as single-worthy too...
    Personally I don't see many singles on this. Or 'hits'. Good, growing songs, but no hits.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

It is homogenous only in the sense that every song on the album could be a single. This is the most commercially accessible album they have made. It's like Michael Jackson's Thriller or Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A. in the sense that it is full of catchy songs that you can imagine hearing all the time on the radio. Just listen to it! It's much more of a pop album than, say, NLOTH. The songs that stand out for me as singles are The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, California, Song for Someone and Volcano.
  11. Originally posted by BonoIsTheMessiah:[..]

It is homogenous only in the sense that every song on the album could be a single. This is the most commercially accessible album they have made. It's like Michael Jackson's Thriller or Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A. in the sense that it is full of catchy songs that you can imagine hearing all the time on the radio. Just listen to it! It's much more of a pop album than, say, NLOTH. The songs that stand out for me as singles are The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, California, Song for Someone and Volcano.

Agreed.
  12. Guys I've been away for a few days, have you seen this interview with Bono and Edge?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bono-s-dublin-a-long-way-from-where-i-live-1.1927184

It mentions a new unreleased song, The Crystal Ballroom

Bono leans in to my face so our noses are almost touching, and he sings, unaccompanied, “Life begins with the first glance, the first kiss at the first dance, all of us are wondering why we’re here, in the Crystal Ballroom underneath the chandelier . . . We are the ghosts of love and we haunt this place, in the ballroom of crystal lights, everyone is here with me tonight, everyone but you.” It is sean-nós in shades.
    “I need to tell you something really weird about this song,” he says. “It’s called The Crystal Ballroom, which used to be the name of McGonagles in South Anne Street [now knocked down]. A whole generation of Dubliners would go to the Crystal Ballroom for dances, and many couples first met there. My mother and father used to dance together in the Crystal Ballroom, so that song I just sang you, which hasn’t been released yet, is me imagining I’m on the stage of McGonagles with this new band I’m in called U2 – and we did play a lot of our important early gigs there. And I look out into the audience and I see my mother and father dancing romantically together to U2 on the stage.”

Seems to be following the trend discussed earlier, describing early U2 years, maybe the 80s.
    Sorry if its been mentioned before!