1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    They were a completely different band in 1992 compared to 2001 and to 2022. They had the balls to kick off a show with a block of eight new songs and don't give a shit about crowds wanting to hear the 80s hits.

Go tell that to the guys that toured The Joshua Tree not once but twice.
    I didn't know there were various editions of TJT that they could pick different songs from lol 😆, Zoo TV had a similar setlists most nights for each leg so it wasn't that radically different and that was a time in their career when they had something to prove and they still do as they still put out new music and tour on the back of that, they could have just been a complete nostalgia act for the last 20 years and lived solely off playing their back catalogue and most people wouldn't have begrudged them that either as bands like GnR have proved.

2. Technically there were 3 Joshua Tree Tours, and they actually chose to do 2 out of 3 of them.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yep they did the same with I&E and E&I as well playing at least 7 new songs every night of the tour more on a good few occasions and 24 new songs combined over the 2 tours. I doubt you’ll find another band out there that give so much new material a chance on tour.

First leg of EI often had 11-12 new songs if including both SOI and SOE which was pretty good.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    You misread what I was saying of course they had rocking songs during zoo tv I meant they managed alright without elevation and vertigo back then. And yes and no with your 2nd point. They play a mixture of songs they want to play and songs the audience want to hear, Adam has even said they exact words pretty much before. There’s no doubt that elevation and vertigo are played because of the reaction they get, they’ll love that feeling on stage seeing the crowd react like that. Even during zoo tv that was just a cool response to say at the time but it’s no coincidence that alongside the new songs they played some of the more well known songs from the other albums.

Okay, apologies. Yes, I did.

They might be a completely different band from era to era, but I don't think that mentality changes. These songs - Elevation, BD and Vertigo, in particular - are familiar and easy to slot into sets. They'll virtually never disappear and it's not just because of the reaction they get. I would suspect that's pretty low on the set decision. They are catering for the casual fans as well.

I've been calling for BD to be dropped for years. It has sounded vapid beyond belief.
  5. It was good in 2018. 2017 and 2019 were boring. I think that's because I think it's a lot stronger earlier in the set.
  6. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]

Okay, apologies. Yes, I did.

They might be a completely different band from era to era, but I don't think that mentality changes. These songs - Elevation, BD and Vertigo, in particular - are familiar and easy to slot into sets. They'll virtually never disappear and it's not just because of the reaction they get. I would suspect that's pretty low on the set decision. They are catering for the casual fans as well.

I've been calling for BD to be dropped for years. It has sounded vapid beyond belief.
    No need for apologies it was an easy mistake to make with the way I worded it. I do get what you’re saying and yes the songs aren’t played ‘just’ because of the reaction they get I can agree there but I do think that plays a significant part in it otherwise the band would probably pick all their favourite U2 songs and play those and I’m pretty sure that’s very different from what is the case but being familiar with the song actually enjoying playing and singing it with their instruments will play a part as well as the crowd reaction I agree there.
  7. Originally posted by SJKamal:It was good in 2018. 2017 and 2019 were boring. I think that's because I think it's a lot stronger earlier in the set.
    Better without the long intro as well I’d say which was the case in 2018. It is a funny one why it seems better early in the set but I agree, something about it in the encore for I&E as well just doesn’t sit right.
  8. Just listened to the U2com gift version of Horses (from 2018-10-28 - Belfast) and I've noticed a lyric change by Bono I hadn't heard before:

Don't turn around, don't turn around again.
    Don't turn around your gypsy heart, you're on good track.

9. Originally posted by LikeASong:Just listened to the U2com gift version of Horses (from 2018-10-28 - Belfast) and I've noticed a lyric change by Bono I hadn't heard before:

Pretty sure the Berlin release performance is similar.

Ever listen to Spanish Eyes from whichever of the 360 tour audio releases? I dare anyone to repeat a single word Bono sings that isn’t ‘hey hey hey’.
  10. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    Pretty sure the Berlin release performance is similar.

Ever listen to Spanish Eyes from whichever of the 360 tour audio releases? I dare anyone to repeat a single word Bono sings that isn’t ‘hey hey hey’.
    I hereby confess I haven't watched the Berlin release attentively, only bits and pieces here and there (similar to Paris 2015).

Bono always makes a mess out of Spanish Eyes. It's part of the deal Madrid 2018 was the best in a long time, possibly since the end of the Joshua Tree 87, and it's still a big mess.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:Just listened to the U2com gift version of Horses (from 2018-10-28 - Belfast) and I've noticed a lyric change by Bono I hadn't heard before:

This needs to be uploaded onto youtube
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I hereby confess I haven't watched the Berlin release attentively, only bits and pieces here and there (similar to Paris 2015).

Bono always makes a mess out of Spanish Eyes. It's part of the deal Madrid 2018 was the best in a long time, possibly since the end of the Joshua Tree 87, and it's still a big mess.
    It's never been a real song I guess, so he's still making it up on the rare occasions they play it