1. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Not on U2Start. There are the torrent sites, of corse... But what is the problem with MEGA? It should be add-free and all that stuff...
    Issue resolved, whatever it was.
  2. Looking for an audio recording from the Europe shows; want to listen to the Zoo Station/Fly/Stay/Wild Horses stuff!

What's the best show recording out there (so far) that includes those performances?
  3. Originally posted by spenceast:Looking for an audio recording from the Europe shows; want to listen to the Zoo Station/Fly/Stay/Wild Horses stuff!

What's the best show recording out there (so far) that includes those performances?
    Try Manchester 1
  4. I know it’s not easy to rate the recordings so not a criticism at all here just a compliment on how good I think the London 1 recording is, definitely underrated imo. I’ve not got round to downloading London 2 yet but look forward to, thanks all involved.
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:I know it’s not easy to rate the recordings so not a criticism at all here just a compliment on how good I think the London 1 recording is, definitely underrated imo. I’ve not got round to downloading London 2 yet but look forward to, thanks all involved.
    Yeah, London1 should be easily 4 stars!
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:I know it’s not easy to rate the recordings so not a criticism at all here just a compliment on how good I think the London 1 recording is, definitely underrated imo. I’ve not got round to downloading London 2 yet but look forward to, thanks all involved.
    In my opinion the @chatts99 London 1 recording is a potential 4-star recording for sure, but as a "bootleg" I though it was still a bit too raw and rough for the 4-star rating.

It is a thin line however. For instance, I rated the Manchester 1 recording by Robert Brands 4-star, while one can also argue that it is still a bit too "clappy" and too "screamy". The difference, again in my opinion, is that the RB recording has a perfect sound balance and clarity, whereas the @chatts99 London 1 recording needs a little extra work to bring out the full clarity.

And, yes, rating hundreds of recording with a given (or limited) set of ratings does lead to compromises one way or the other. That's part of the game. Anyway, most audience recordings are pretty safe in the "3.5" area. In my opinion these are the recordings that are acceptable captures, but with noticeable handicap (or "challenges"), such as near-by claps, screams, whistles, audience chatter. Paired with a less than perfect EQ (equalization) and/or clarity (depending a bit on definition). To be sure: these are the recordings that I think are "on par."

4-star audience recordings are more rare (noticeable "above par"). They would have a perfect (or close to perfect) clarity and very little intrusive noises (such as those mentioned above, like near-by clapping). 4.5 star audience recordings are perfect in every way, while I reserve 5-star for (excellent) iem/aud matrices, soundboards and broadcasts - this is a consequence of the hybrid nature of the U2Start bootleg database (i.e. we don't have separate ratings for so-called "line-recordings" - under which "iem receiver recordings are also counted).

But, as I have said before, my tolerance for rating recordings is that I accept that they can be off by 0.5 "star" in comparison to opinion given by peers.

And, last but not least, I am a critic. I'm not here to win the popular vote. Tapers are the real heroes here. They take all the risks, make the financial investments and sacrifice their dancing and sing-along... I just taste and listen (and do some home cooking on the side...)

PS: I encourage everyone to submit her/his rating of the recordings they listen to. But please elaborate on your opinion to make it count.
    It's one thing to shout "brilliant" or "crap" - or something in between - but another thing to provide arguments for your valuation.
  7. I understand the reasoning given above for the rating of the London show and accept it as well. In terms of reasoning to why I think it should be a higher rating I believe the sound is all pretty clear, only Adam is a little low in the mix. I’m also a fan of the recording because there isn’t too much crowd noise in it so I can really focus on the songs when I’m listening to them, I think there’s similar rated bootlegs to London 1 which have clapping, screaming, singing etc during songs and that distracts me a bit. I understand though it’s down to the individual, what I would say is I attended both nights in London and preferred the performance and the show in general more on the 2nd night but if I was to listen to a bootleg I’d pick Night 1 over Night 2 because of how I prefer the sound.
  8. I finally had a change to listen to these cellphone recordings, but they're not very good. Great as mixlr, but even for a 3-star bootleg they would require a lot of extra work for which I don't have the time right now...
  9. UPDATE:

A second 2018-10-24 London 2 recording is now availlable at the show page / audio tab

Recorded by @ivanm85 from the seats with a ZOOM H2 recording and I think it sounds great.
    In fact, it sounds quite excellent over the speakers.... Perhaps some would rate this a 4-star,
    but, again, I set mine on 3.5 (mainly because I think it is just a tat too "rough" for a 4-star).
    But a great listen nevertheless

Unfortunately it will be available in mp3 only...
  10. UPDATE: The @Mariobrus recording of 2018-11-06 Dublin, Ireland - 3 Arena (2nd night)
    has been added to the show page / audio tab

NB: FLAC only