1. Bootlegs that are sold for money are certainly not legal without the artist's copyrighted permission.

Some artist's do say to their fans that they can record concerts but not to sell them on.

The bootleg industry is an illegal industry and some say criminals use it too to fund the buying and selling of drugs - just as they counterfeit clothing and perfumes.

The toleration of recordings on youtube is because it has become near impossible to control it and seek legal actions against all uploaders but because it seems that there is no 'selling' involved and advertising is still used by companies then artists seem to see this now as marketing.
  2. Prince argued that a fan uploading is still illegal because the artist wouldnt have the final say in camera angles etc.

Things are fairly lax now but I agree with him. Even a mixlr recording shouldnt have the right to be broadcast without the express written consent of the artist.

U2 obviously let it fly but they dont have to and not all artists do.
  3. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:Bootlegs that are sold for money are certainly not legal without the artist's copyrighted permission.

Some artist's do say to their fans that they can record concerts but not to sell them on.

The bootleg industry is an illegal industry and some say criminals use it too to fund the buying and selling of drugs - just as they counterfeit clothing and perfumes.

The toleration of recordings on youtube is because it has become near impossible to control it and seek legal actions against all uploaders but because it seems that there is no 'selling' involved and advertising is still used by companies then artists seem to see this now as marketing.
    When you put U2 song or any artist on youtube. 100% from commerials etc youtube will paid to U2 etc.
  4. A minimal amount. Probably not enough to compensate for the loss of presentation. Not to mention a saturation issue.
  5. When I put one song from vinyl on youtube, I get info from youtube that license and all money if video will earn will send to U2. Cause on youtube you used license but youll not owner of music. Also check info on this video who have license and rights:

all money earn U2
  6. Outside of the last few hours of banter, I picked up a copy of Croke Park 85 on Vinyl back in 1998(ish) at the height of my collecting days. Got it in Ottawa I think. @MiryClay, that's the one you got on cassette right? I think it's missing '40' at the end though.
  7. Matt,

I think you are referring to another user.

I bought a copy of Croke Park in 87 on Grafton street. If you check my fan bio you can read about it.

The My Hometown vinyl was a recording of Croke 85. I only have that on CDR.
  8. When a fan uploads a tribute song it is likely that the creators will not get compensated. The fingerprint of the audio track is what identifies the artist through algorithim.
  9. Originally posted by miryclay:Matt,

I think you are referring to another user.

I bought a copy of Croke Park in 87 on Grafton street. If you check my fan bio you can read about it.

The My Hometown vinyl was a recording of Croke 85. I only have that on CDR.
    Nope, I had the user right, the date wrong! I thought yours was the 85 Croke, not 87. At any rate, it's a decent show!

10. November... December... Remember... Are we just starting again
  11. Not my pic but I picked this one up in February. €75 it cost, wish it was the 4th night bootleg, but still a beaut.