1. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    It wasn’t just that for Irish fans. It was just a USA fest. The snippet, the imagery. It just never felt like a special show like some of the 2015/18 shows.

I enjoy looking back at YouTube videos of the show more than I enjoyed the show. Expectations can kill a show.

And let’s be honest, we’re all a bunch of divas when it comes to stuff like this.
    Ireland is pretty USA oriented, maybe one of the reasons we got Joshua Tree in the first place. I agree that Heroes was a better snippet, but I don't get the 'hate' for America. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded really good. Nice melody and with band coming in again I think it fits nicely into the song.. I think you should just enjoy what you get and not expect too much. At least not details like this. If you expect a great show and it's crap, that's of course different. And no, I don't think all U2 fans are like that. I would say most are not. I remember in Berlin 2018, after the show we were having a few beers with some other fans that also check U2start every now and then and this Dublin snippetgate came up.. they were just laughing about how ridiculous it was.
    This was right after the America snippet:
  2. It is ridiculous in the grand scheme of things but when you are dealing with fans who do multiple shows which typically have static set lists, it’s often little fleeting moments like snippets that offer the magic. Heroes was more magic than America. It was just odd to go fro Heroes from the start of the leg to going back to that snippet.

It is what it is but when the standard of performance is quite high night on night and the set list the same night on night, the scope for standout moments is quite low. We’re a spoiled bunch for sure.
  3. yeah, but when calling it a 'blooper' or 'definitely killed the moment', I hope you realize that's only true from a very weird point of view. I wasn't there, but Dublin is the show that I've watched back most of all JT30 shows, because of the great atmosphere.
  4. Originally posted by Ricku2:yeah, but when calling it a 'blooper' or 'definitely killed the moment', I hope you realize that's only true from a very weird point of view. I wasn't there, but Dublin is the show that I've watched back most of all JT30 shows, because of the great atmosphere.
    Everything we say hear is from a very weird point of view. Some of us have been here for nearly 15 years living in a U2 bubble. Some of of major quibbles we have are so inconsequential in real life which is why we are happy to say things like that snippet killed the moment in that show.

It’s all in the context of both being (and conversing with) a bunch of fellow weirdos living in a bit of a fantasy.

People here leave shows to queue up for the next show. I don’t watch any 2005 videos because I despise Bono’s hair and Streets didn’t have the usual red light and flash intro.
  5. I partially agree, but I think most fans can go back to a more normal view and ridiculize their own observations/disappointments a bit.. but some seem to think that their point of view is the center of the universe. And, yeah, at home, you're in charge, that's a bit of different thing, you pick whatever you like. But at a concert, there are not that many choices. If you decide to go I think you should always try to make the best out of it. And if you're dissapointed, maybe you made the wrong choice.
  6. You trust your gut. Croke Park 2017 was the blandest U2 shows out of the fifteen I have been to. The show 8 days later was one of the best.
  7. I maintain they uploaded the Leg1 firmware into the Bono bot by mistake that night. Easy mistake to make.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:You trust your gut. Croke Park 2017 was the blandest U2 shows out of the fifteen I have been to. The show 8 days later was one of the best.
    Same here, been to 11 U2 shows since 2005 and it's so sad that I rank my first Irish gig as the worst of them all.

I'm so glad to be the center of the universe though
  9. you're completely entitled to do so.. I remember you were not too excited after another Dublin show in 2018, so maybe there's an underlying problem?? maybe you expect too much... Dublin shows mostly are just like other shows.. the 3rd one on Vertigo was a bit different... don't expect special tricks from the band, seeing U2 in their hometown is the special trick. Maybe it's different these days, but seeing U2 in Dublin used to be a bit of a privilige.
  10. I think that privilege is gone. Certainly in the context of the concert itself. What makes it special is the weekend as a whole. The bars, the tribute bands, the fans. I always say the shows become secondary and sometimes they are magic. But I certainly would never recommend Dublin as the place to see the best U2 shows.
  11. Originally posted by germcevoy:I think that privilege is gone. Certainly in the context of the concert itself. What makes it special is the weekend as a whole. The bars, the tribute bands, the fans. I always say the shows become secondary and sometimes they are magic. But I certainly would never recommend Dublin as the place to see the best U2 shows.
    For me I think the daylight makes a huge difference to the gigs it was bright for almost half that JT Croke Park concert the same for 360 which really impacts the show as it works much better when it's dark , you get a lot of casual fans who only know the hits and just wanna tick it off the bucket list most of whom probably never heard side 2 of the JT .The E&I tour was fantastic in Dublin certainly the 2 gigs I went to, atmosphere was incredible and you get more of the hardcore fans who sing a long to all the songs not just the hits.