1. Originally posted by germcevoy:I think that privilege is gone. Certainly in the context of the concert itself. What makes it special is the weekend as a whole. The bars, the tribute bands, the fans. I always say the shows become secondary and sometimes they are magic. But I certainly would never recommend Dublin as the place to see the best U2 shows.
    no, the best shows you only know afterwards and even then it's still very subjective. And indeed, it's probably as much about the interaction with other fans, having a great time in U2's hometown etc as it's about the actual U2 show. But then even more surprising that one wrong snippet is killing the mood. You should just decide in advance that nothing is going to spoil the fun, that's what 99% of the fans do and that's why there's such a great atmosphere.
    And while some were complaining, an Irish family of four couldn't get their hands on Croke Park tickets. Luckily they could afford to book a trip to Berlin. And guess what; they got the Heroes snippet and even a German version that they probably didn't even recognize.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    For me I think the daylight makes a huge difference to the gigs it was bright for almost half that JT Croke Park concert the same for 360 which really impacts the show as it works much better when it's dark , you get a lot of casual fans who only know the hits and just wanna tick it off the bucket list most of whom probably never heard side 2 of the JT .The E&I tour was fantastic in Dublin certainly the 2 gigs I went to, atmosphere was incredible and you get more of the hardcore fans who sing a long to all the songs not just the hits.
    luckily JT started of with 7 big hits in a row. For 360 that probably was a bit different. Not sure if it really makes a difference. On the Croke Park 2017 video's I think it really adds to the pleasure of watching as you can see all sorts of individuals enjoying the songs.
  3. I think a strong case could be made for Dublin 4 being the strongest night of E&I, the bands performance anyway was better than Berlin from a technical point of view I think. I wasn’t at Dublin so don’t know how the atmosphere compared to Berlin which was great. As for JT2017 Dublin I can understand how it wasn’t people’s favourite show but I don’t think it came across as a poor show either. Just standard level JT2017 which was good. I’m personally hoping to see the band in Dublin the next time they tour, want to go to all the UK and Irish dates. I’ve generally only heard good things about Dublin as a place to visit, a bit expensive is the worst thing I’ve heard which doesn’t bother me at all when I’m away from home.
  4. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    For me I think the daylight makes a huge difference to the gigs it was bright for almost half that JT Croke Park concert the same for 360 which really impacts the show as it works much better when it's dark

Agreed.
  5. Originally posted by Ricku2:you're completely entitled to do so.. I remember you were not too excited after another Dublin show in 2018, so maybe there's an underlying problem?? maybe you expect too much... Dublin shows mostly are just like other shows.. the 3rd one on Vertigo was a bit different... don't expect special tricks from the band, seeing U2 in their hometown is the special trick. Maybe it's different these days, but seeing U2 in Dublin used to be a bit of a privilige.
    Maybe there's an underlying problem... that's rich.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    For me I think the daylight makes a huge difference to the gigs it was bright for almost half that JT Croke Park concert the same for 360 which really impacts the show as it works much better when it's dark , you get a lot of casual fans who only know the hits and just wanna tick it off the bucket list most of whom probably never heard side 2 of the JT .The E&I tour was fantastic in Dublin certainly the 2 gigs I went to, atmosphere was incredible and you get more of the hardcore fans who sing a long to all the songs not just the hits.
    The daylight plays a part. It adds some charm at times such as some of the lovely dusk skies in 09. The other uses of the stadium usually dictate that the gigs happen earlier in the summer rather than in August when it would be a little bit darker. One of the drawbacks of European summer shows, especially Croke with its open side.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:I think a strong case could be made for Dublin 4 being the strongest night of E&I, the bands performance anyway was better than Berlin from a technical point of view I think. I wasn’t at Dublin so don’t know how the atmosphere compared to Berlin which was great. As for JT2017 Dublin I can understand how it wasn’t people’s favourite show but I don’t think it came across as a poor show either. Just standard level JT2017 which was good. I’m personally hoping to see the band in Dublin the next time they tour, want to go to all the UK and Irish dates. I’ve generally only heard good things about Dublin as a place to visit, a bit expensive is the worst thing I’ve heard which doesn’t bother me at all when I’m away from home.
    You’ll have a great weekend.
  8. there's an example in the next sentence, I didn't mean anything medical or something if that's what you're suggesting
  9. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    no, the best shows you only know afterwards and even then it's still very subjective. And indeed, it's probably as much about the interaction with other fans, having a great time in U2's hometown etc as it's about the actual U2 show. But then even more surprising that one wrong snippet is killing the mood. You should just decide in advance that nothing is going to spoil the fun, that's what 99% of the fans do and that's why there's such a great atmosphere.
    And while some were complaining, an Irish family of four couldn't get their hands on Croke Park tickets. Luckily they could afford to book a trip to Berlin. And guess what; they got the Heroes snippet and even a German version that they probably didn't even recognize.
    You can’t decide in advance. The anticipation in rose moments is what can make or break a show. When Bad calms down and you are itching to see if Bono is about to launch into Heroes 20ft from your but instead he starts spewing that America snippet from a few months before. Yea it’s a bit of a let down (again within the context of this weird U2 world we operate in).

You seem to have stronger opinions of a show you didn’t attend bro g good than the people who attended thinking it was just ok.
  10. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    I'll admit that my attitude towards the JT30 tour was negative from the very moment it was announced so I was prone to get disappointed Also I made a big deal of the Dublin gig, being the only show of the tour I could afford going to and being my first U2 Dublin gig (and after having missed Dub3 in 2015 in dramatic circumstances and last minute), so everything "had to be perfect"... And it wasn't.

The America snippet was just the icing on the cake of the fact that they weren't playing ASOH instead of Bad. Then came RTSS which is a favorite of mine and was a big disappointment, then came Little Things as the closer (when they could have closed with I Will Follow) and everything just added up and up... to rank it as the worst U2 show I've seen.

Is it a big deal? No, it's just a drop in an ocean.
    Does it mean it was a bad show overall? No, I'm sure thousands left the stadium really satisfied.
    I'm very sad to reckon I didn't. I didn't imagine I would leave the almost-sacred Croke Park after my first U2 Irish gig feeling disappointed, but I did. Why should I not speak about it openly? I'm not one of those who bashes the band just for the sake of it. I'll gladly admit that 2 of the 4 2018 shows I saw by the same band are among the best live shows I've ever seen. Dublin 2017 was just not.

As Gerard said I'm really surprised that you didn't attend the show and still try to fight back when some of us (who did attend it) say it was a bit disappointing
  11. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    You can’t decide in advance. The anticipation in rose moments is what can make or break a show. When Bad calms down and you are itching to see if Bono is about to launch into Heroes 20ft from your but instead he starts spewing that America snippet from a few months before. Yea it’s a bit of a let down (again within the context of this weird U2 world we operate in).

You seem to have stronger opinions of a show you didn’t attend bro g good than the people who attended thinking it was just ok.

I don't think I really made a quality judgement on the show. We were just discussing an alleged U2 blooper, that's all. Didn't realize it was for attendees only. Unfortunately we'll never hear from the other 79.995, but only hearing the same handful of people coming up with the same complaint over and over again. I think it was a pretty good discussion until you came with this non-argument.
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I'll admit that my attitude towards the JT30 tour was negative from the very moment it was announced so I was prone to get disappointed Also I made a big deal of the Dublin gig, being the only show of the tour I could afford going to and being my first U2 Dublin gig (and after having missed Dub3 in 2015 in dramatic circumstances and last minute), so everything "had to be perfect"... And it wasn't.

The America snippet was just the icing on the cake of the fact that they weren't playing ASOH instead of Bad. Then came RTSS which is a favorite of mine and was a big disappointment, then came Little Things as the closer (when they could have closed with I Will Follow) and everything just added up and up... to rank it as the worst U2 show I've seen.

Is it a big deal? No, it's just a drop in an ocean.
    Does it mean it was a bad show overall? No, I'm sure thousands left the stadium really satisfied.
    I'm very sad to reckon I didn't. I didn't imagine I would leave the almost-sacred Croke Park after my first U2 Irish gig feeling disappointed, but I did. Why should I not speak about it openly? I'm not one of those who bashes the band just for the sake of it. I'll gladly admit that 2 of the 4 2018 shows I saw by the same band are among the best live shows I've ever seen. Dublin 2017 was just not.

As Gerard said I'm really surprised that you didn't attend the show and still try to fight back when some of us (who did attend it) say it was a bit disappointing
    that last thing is a complete non argument. I've seen U2 in Ireland so I know what I can/should feel like.
    Funny thing is I was hoping for Little Things and we got I Will Follow (which was great). I also would pick Bad over ASOH anytime.
    I'm going to quit this discussion. I thought it was pretty mature up until now.