1. Same old theme. It has been a fair chat.
  2. America was snippeted in Auckland too. I cringed.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I'll admit that my attitude towards the JT30 tour was negative from the very moment it was announced so I was prone to get disappointed Also I made a big deal of the Dublin gig, being the only show of the tour I could afford going to and being my first U2 Dublin gig (and after having missed Dub3 in 2015 in dramatic circumstances and last minute), so everything "had to be perfect"... And it wasn't.

The America snippet was just the icing on the cake of the fact that they weren't playing ASOH instead of Bad. Then came RTSS which is a favorite of mine and was a big disappointment, then came Little Things as the closer (when they could have closed with I Will Follow) and everything just added up and up... to rank it as the worst U2 show I've seen.

Is it a big deal? No, it's just a drop in an ocean.
    Does it mean it was a bad show overall? No, I'm sure thousands left the stadium really satisfied.
    I'm very sad to reckon I didn't. I didn't imagine I would leave the almost-sacred Croke Park after my first U2 Irish gig feeling disappointed, but I did. Why should I not speak about it openly? I'm not one of those who bashes the band just for the sake of it. I'll gladly admit that 2 of the 4 2018 shows I saw by the same band are among the best live shows I've ever seen. Dublin 2017 was just not.

As Gerard said I'm really surprised that you didn't attend the show and still try to fight back when some of us (who did attend it) say it was a bit disappointing
    when you say it like that, I have no problem with it at all. It sounds very personal, in contrast to the terms that were used at the start of this discussion. Now I really quit
  4. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    that last thing is a complete non argument. I've seen U2 in Ireland so I know what I can/should feel like.
    Funny thing is I was hoping for Little Things and we got I Will Follow (which was great). I also would pick Bad over ASOH anytime.
    I'm going to quit this discussion. I thought it was pretty mature up until now.

It was pretty mature but then "that last thing is a complete non argument" and someone "must have underlying problems" if they think differently than you. Right.

Seriously, the point being made is that people attending that particular show felt it was disappointing for their reasons - which I also happen to agree with attending that show. But to be fair, I went through that show forgetting I was in Dublin and at Croke Park. It didn't feel like an auspicious occasion because of Gerard and Sergio's aforementioned points.

You say "non argument" but then you must be missing the point when you say you've seen U2 in Dublin before. Every show is different, but it's vastly different when one goes to a particular show and one doesn't go to a particular show. Without sounding self-righteous, unlike your good self, you were not at that show at Croke Park so why should you challenge the views of people who have went to that show? Arguably, people who have went to that show have experienced it in its entirety so should know how it felt inside-out.

I'm sorry, Rick, but it's a strange argument to pick. One of envy, perhaps?
  5. Without weighing in too much the whole seeing u2 in Ireland thing does seem to have mixed responses in general. There’s obviously a few big shows that get spoke about but there’s plenty that I’ve never really heard mentioned on here or any fan site for that matter. I would put Irish shows top or near the top for lovetown, zoo tv, E&I and even though I prefer the Boston Setlist and similar (stay, bad, the fly, New York etc) I’d have to acknowledge Slane as being a legendary couple of shows too. But would many people put the Irish shows from Popmart, vertigo, 360, I&E or JT2017 amongst the best on they tours? I never hear them spoken about much. Genuine question. I’m personally hoping for indoor shows if I get to see them in Ireland but if it’s stadiums next I’ll still be there.
  6. Dublin2017 : not the best but not the worst.

It depends what you're looking for :

An Atmosphere :

The Town is dressed in U2 (only Amsterdam in 2009 gave me that impression)
    People come from Everywhere in the World (more than everywhere else)
    The stadium is 15 minutes by feet from the center (no wait for metro-train-busses...) so that's a heavy crowd walking (like going to a sport game)

The Show :

The setlist ok they could have put a surprise here and then but the TJT2017 was for me to get :
    NYD long version + side 2 (One Tree Hill - Exit - MOTD) + UV (not good as 360° but) + New song = Little Things

The Planes over Croke Park brillant idea
    On the other side the darkness comes too late so for the screen it wasn't the best.

By the way Great memories for me, spoke to several fans from all over the world (dutch, american, aussies!...)
  7. I think we all can agree Dublin 17 was a let down.
  8. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]

It was pretty mature but then "that last thing is a complete non argument" and someone "must have underlying problems" if they think differently than you. Right.

Seriously, the point being made is that people attending that particular show felt it was disappointing for their reasons - which I also happen to agree with attending that show. But to be fair, I went through that show forgetting I was in Dublin and at Croke Park. It didn't feel like an auspicious occasion because of Gerard and Sergio's aforementioned points.

You say "non argument" but then you must be missing the point when you say you've seen U2 in Dublin before. Every show is different, but it's vastly different when one goes to a particular show and one doesn't go to a particular show. Without sounding self-righteous, unlike your good self, you were not at that show at Croke Park so why should you challenge the views of people who have went to that show? Arguably, people who have went to that show have experienced it in its entirety so should know how it felt inside-out.

I'm sorry, Rick, but it's a strange argument to pick. One of envy, perhaps?
    Like I said, if they just tell their personal story like Like A Song did, there's nothing to argue about. I was only arguing about that snippet being a blooper or completely killing the vibe. I think it's just weird to argue with Bono's picks of snippets at that level. I went in a bit hard (because it really, really annoys me) and they reacted pretty mature.
    No, it's not envy. Why would I be envious at someone attending a dissappointing show? I've had the experience of seeing U2 in Ireland once and I'm very hesitant to go there a second time. Why are you always there to throw a bit of oil on the fire? why can you say it's envy and I can't say it's maybe having wrong expectations for Dublin shows? now it's feeling again like I'm in front of the good old U2start inquisition. Yesterday I got a message from someone (who apparently agreed with me) talking about self-entitled U2start royalty. I might be one of the few speaking up about it, but for sure I'm not the only one feeling like this. It's not always a friendly place for different opions. Imagine if you actually enjoyed that Dublin show or if you like a song like Grace or Elevation. You would think twice before posting it here, as it's not unlikely you get scoffed at.
  9. I think he was joking. Of course you can't agree on that, that's the whole point. You can't decide for 80.000 others that it was a let down.
  10. We need polling of attendees then. Get YouGov on the case. An exit poll.
  11. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    I think he was joking. Of course you can't agree on that, that's the whole point. You can't decide for 80.000 others that it was a let down.
    We're talking about miryclay. Assuming is a bit bold.

I'm the center of the universe so I can definitely decide for the other 79.995