1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Feel free to listen to the Saitama gig that’s recently been made available for Bono belting out the ‘it’s true’ bit. The streets you’ve posted is overrated and Raised By Wolves tbh I don’t really know they hardly played it on E&I, it sounded fine to me but Bono got lost a few times.
    Just listend to NYD from both Saitama shows and to me there where no belting at all
    He sang it slow and carefull....

It sound like he doesn't give much effort at all on the line, which is sad due to that it is that line that builds up the song and take it to it's climax.
  2. I think Bono sounded damn fine on TJT2019...
  3. I agree. JT Saitama 2 is one of my fave Bono performances of the past 5 years.
  4. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]
    Just listend to NYD from both Saitama shows and to me there where no belting at all
    He sang it slow and carefull....

It sound like he doesn't give much effort at all on the line, which is sad due to that it is that line that builds up the song and take it to it's climax.
    I think you’re talking nonsense then, there was absolutely nothing wrong with his vocal delivery on NYD in Saitama. He went for it during the ‘say it’s true’ line. The ‘we can be one’ bit was delivered really well too.
  5. Since 2017, New Year’s Day is sung a tone lower than the usual.
  6. Yes but it’s not been lowered to such an extent that it takes out the ability for Bono to hit some nice high notes in it.
  7. The tones might be lower nowadays, but I can't think of a song that's lost its intensity because of that. Bono still hits some impressive high notes & obviously they're always playing the songs in a key that's comfortable for Bono & at the same time still serves the song if that makes sense.
    Bono sounded great in Bad in 2019, he hit some nice high notes.
    Wide Awakes:
    5:44

6:04

I just remembered they had lowered the key during the tour in 2015 and that was a wise choice, then Bono could really belt it out and deliver a stunning performance.
    Initial key May 2015 (Moment of surrender snippet bonus!)

Lower key November 2015

Songs still sound great (like NYD that's been discussed a lot & Bad) even with the key changes. As long as the song's intensity isn't lost and Bono delivers a powerful vocal performance, no need to over - analyze things. Yeah, some might say he sounded better in 2009 or 2011 or 2015. Well, that's fine, but that's the past. We're in 2020, he'll be 60 in a few months and he sounded pretty damn fine in JT 19, quite impressive at times!
  8. Actually, it's a semitone, so only half a note. It was always in G# (studio and live) and since 2017 it's in G, so not that much of a difference.

And agree with deanallison, Saitama is an excellent vocal performance, he even nails the "chosen few" part there in full voice. He essentially stopped doing that in '89, bar for a few rare occasions maybe..

I'd always prefer "delivery" above the "absolute highest note" in a technical sense. I have the feeling Peterrrr is only going for the latter as a lot of his examples are more "shrieks" than singing..?
  9. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    Actually, it's a semitone, so only half a note. It was always in G# (studio and live) and since 2017 it's in G, so not that much of a difference.

And agree with deanallison, Saitama is an excellent vocal performance, he even nails the "chosen few" part there in full voice. He essentially stopped doing that in '89, bar for a few rare occasions maybe..

I'd always prefer "delivery" above the "absolute highest note" in a technical sense. I have the feeling Peterrrr is only going for the latter as a lot of his examples are more "shrieks" than singing..?
    If I remember right he sang the "Choosen few" first time in years a few times on 360 and in 2015.

When it comes to the "delivery" and " higest note"; on Bad for an example " Wide Awake" and "Say Its True" from 360 tour was pure belting and clean.
    I prefer listen to notes without straining and overuse(JT/LT tour).
  10. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:The tones might be lower nowadays, but I can't think of a song that's lost its intensity because of that. Bono still hits some impressive high notes & obviously they're always playing the songs in a key that's comfortable for Bono & at the same time still serves the song if that makes sense.
    Bono sounded great in Bad in 2019, he hit some nice high notes.
    Wide Awakes:
    5:44
    [YouTube Video]
    6:04
    [YouTube Video]
    I just remembered they had lowered the key during the tour in 2015 and that was a wise choice, then Bono could really belt it out and deliver a stunning performance.
    Initial key May 2015 (Moment of surrender snippet bonus!)
    [YouTube Video]
    Lower key November 2015
    [YouTube Video]
    Songs still sound great (like NYD that's been discussed a lot & Bad) even with the key changes. As long as the song's intensity isn't lost and Bono delivers a powerful vocal performance, no need to over - analyze things. Yeah, some might say he sounded better in 2009 or 2011 or 2015. Well, that's fine, but that's the past. We're in 2020, he'll be 60 in a few months and he sounded pretty damn fine in JT 19, quite impressive at times!
    Melon51 might correct me if Im wrong, but all of these Bad version, the Wide Awake is high B.