1. Originally posted by hello123:[..]
    It is an incredible track. I disagree though..... I think it does set the tone for the album from a lyrical sense, which to me this album is all about a journey through its lyrics and melody. The content of the lyric about love is all we have left set the tone up for the album it is kind of like a prefix in a book.

Also i love Loghts of Home one of the best tracks shits all over love is bigger (thats a bottom 4 from the album for me) and I think the Iris chrous works great on it....
    Maybe I should clarify that I wasn’t an album that sounds like this. Start to finish. Committal to ansound amd tone for 11-13 tracks. I’d love it.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    Maybe I should clarify that I wasn’t an album that sounds like this. Start to finish. Committal to ansound amd tone for 11-13 tracks. I’d love it.
    Oh yeah I can agree with that for sure!
  3. It so great to finally have some gems again, and a new album that I connect with after the disappointment that I felt from SOI, which left me feeling the coldest I have felt listening to a U2 record for the first time
  4. I don’t get the hate for SOI at all. Seems like the popular thing to do now. The level of super fan is to love or like the last stuff and then completely turn on it.

I like this song. It fits so well on the album. But that is about it. It’s too sad and just doesn’t work as a stand-alone song when shuffling. The songs from SOI don’t need each other to me whereas this one needs the rest of the songs.
  5. I've had this stuck in my head all day.
  6. SOI is a good dame album but SOE is better!!
  7. Originally posted by kris_smith87:I don’t get the hate for SOI at all. Seems like the popular thing to do now. The level of super fan is to love or like the last stuff and then completely turn on it.

I like this song. It fits so well on the album. But that is about it. It’s too sad and just doesn’t work as a stand-alone song when shuffling. The songs from SOI don’t need each other to me whereas this one needs the rest of the songs.
    I think that's a fair point, to this day I still don't understand how mixed of a reception No Line has. That being said, SOI will forever have a shadow hanging over it for me. It came out in my freshman year of college and it was a reminder that my favorite childhood band was not this great artist force that I saw them as, but rather a tired band who was too calculating in their construction of albums. A lot of SOI has grown on me since, but I remember being actually angry at how much of a sonic retread songs like Joey Ramone and Song for Someone were. Felt like I was listening to a bizzare mix of Atomic Bomb and No Line with some Danger Mouse thrown in because relevancy.

Songs of Experience is amazing though. Faith restored completely.
  8. Originally posted by tkfiyah:[..]
    I think that's a fair point, to this day I still don't understand how mixed of a reception No Line has. That being said, SOI will forever have a shadow hanging over it for me. It came out in my freshman year of college and it was a reminder that my favorite childhood band was not this great artist force that I saw them as, but rather a tired band who was too calculating in their construction of albums. A lot of SOI has grown on me since, but I remember being actually angry at how much of a sonic retread songs like Joey Ramone and Song for Someone were. Felt like I was listening to a bizzare mix of Atomic Bomb and No Line with some Danger Mouse thrown in because relevancy.

Songs of Experience is amazing though. Faith restored completely.
    I so don't understand how you thought that?! This was a band who have been constantly at the forefront of delivering music pushing the boundary once more. I really wish they didn't beackpeddle on the release because it was truly bad ass.

The songs felt so full to me. Going back and writing about what made you want to be in a band? Genius.
  9. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    I so don't understand how you thought that?! This was a band who have been constantly at the forefront of delivering music pushing the boundary once more. I really wish they didn't beackpeddle on the release because it was truly bad ass.

The songs felt so full to me. Going back and writing about what made you want to be in a band? Genius.
    I think it is a genius idea, but I (at least at the time) thought it wasn't executed that well. Because of the iTunes thing (which certainly wasn't a problem in my mind) suddenly all my friends were aware of U2, and that album was not a forward thinking, modern release when the music being played around the dormitory was really interesting and artsy stuff like Chet Faker, Alt-J and Animal Collective. I think the 17-23 crowd that I was around at the time came to the consensus that SOI sounded like a poor Imagine Dragons/Coldplay soundalike, and there's very little on that album that allowed me to argue or feel differently. I mean, the album starts with an even less passionate version of Vertigo, and it's about Joey Ramone, making the fact that it's not a very punk rock song even more painfully obvious.

I think after listening to SOE, the two albums seem stronger as a set, and so SOI is a much more positive listen now for me. I also don't begrudge anyone for liking SOI, and honestly evny you more than anything.
  10. Originally posted by tkfiyah:[..](...) when the music being played around the dormitory was really interesting and artsy stuff like Chet Faker, Alt-J and Animal Collective. I think the 17-23 crowd that I was around at the time came to the consensus that SOI sounded like a poor Imagine Dragons/Coldplay soundalike, and there's very little on that album that allowed me to argue or feel differently.
    I think it's interesting from the point of view of the age gap... to me, (and just now it happens that I'm writing this in a different thread), SOI is way more interesting (and I thought modern) since Pop.

This shows how much I know about today's music.
    Still, I won't stop pretending that I know what I'm talking about, even if I know that I don't know, though.
  11. I mean, honestly I think if U2 wanted to court my age group seriously, the best thing they could do is record a modern Passengers and drop it in band camp without telling anyone. That would make a hipster millenial swoon.

Though for what it's worth, I've shown a couple friends The Showman and Red Flag Day and they've been received decently well.
  12. kygo need to make a remix of this song, more electronic vibes than you're the best thing agout me