1. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Lights Of Home is fine.

Summer Of Love is a bit on the worse side. One Republic had basically written the basic song, the riff, the "West Coast" line.
    It’s just not something that bothers me. I understand what you’re saying though. What I do think about summer of love though is u2 would have changed the whole meaning of the song to whatever one republic were coming up with. There’s no way they were writing a song on the same subject it isn’t one republic’s thing.
  2. never knew about that whole Haim thing. That makes the song even worse. It's just as 'horrible' as Showman and American Soul. It seems like they were just short of inspiration, but they wanted these lyrics on the album no matter what. Summer of Love is fine, but the One Republic is way too obvious which makes it hard(er) to enjoy.

PS: sorry about my ever returning complaints about LOH, especially to Dean. I'm just surprised about this 'new' fact and how it keeps dropping on my list of favourite U2 songs to the very bottom with a couple of other SOE songs. I rarely dislike U2 songs, suddenly having 4 or 5 songs on 1 album you don't like is hard to keep secret. Luckily there are also 3 (and a half) brilliant songs on SOE and a few very good ones as well, so all in all I'm still happy with the album
  3. No need to be sorry, we can’t all like the same things. And at least we can agree on American soul and showman being as you put it horrible. That’s the only 2 poor songs on the album for me though. Love is all we have left is a bit meh and I still wish best thing was something similar to the live versions. Lights of Home is still one of my favourites though.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:No need to be sorry, we can’t all like the same things. And at least we can agree on American soul and showman being as you put it horrible. That’s the only 2 poor songs on the album for me though. Love is all we have left is a bit meh and I still wish best thing was something similar to the live versions. Lights of Home is still one of my favourites though.
    yeah, I think many U2 fans agree on Showman and American Soul, LOH seems to cause a lot more division. I really do like Love Is All We Have Left, but I'm not really counting it as a full song so that's the half song I was talking about in my previous comment (but I think you already figured that out). The other 3 are Little Things, Love Is Bigger and 13. Best Thing is probably just above the degradation zone (bottom of the mid-range) on my list. With all the videoclips and mixes and the live debut during JT17 I think it was a nice (first single) project, but as an album track it's nothing special. Blackout, Landlady and GOOYOW are great songs, but still I feel like they are lacking something to really stand out.
  5. The live version of this song is far better than the studio version.

On the whole though, Lights of Home is a good song. But it's one of the standouts on a not so good album.
  6. Originally posted by DMMacdonald:The live version of this song is far better than the studio version.

On the whole though, Lights of Home is a good song. But it's one of the standouts on a not so good album.
    Quit well described.
  7. Originally posted by DMMacdonald:The live version of this song is far better than the studio version.

My problem with the live version is, that it's so much pre-recorderd that it's barely live anymore. Also it seems that i'm one of the very few who likes the album version more than the string version.

On the album, it's one of the 5 songs i listen to, so i agree with you that it's a good song on a not so good album (By the way: the others i listen to are love is al we have left, red flag day, blackout, and of course Little things)
  8. The BBC version with a real orchestra was the best.
    I also think that nowadays a U2 show is way too much prerecorded. Especially during the E&I tour.
  9. Wow I had no idea songs of experience was so despised now .. I think lights Home is a wonderful song
  10. Was listening throughout SOI (enjoyable) and a bit of SOE (hard to go through….) Lights of home is one of their worst songs or in fact it’s their worst song ever.
    SOE album is a hard one to listen… realy bad one imho. Undoable from start to finish unless you’re vacuuming or something.
  11. Originally posted by Pipo:Was listening throughout SOI (enjoyable) and a bit of SOE (hard to go through….) Lights of home is one of their worst songs or in fact it’s their worst song ever.
    SOE album is a hard one to listen… realy bad one imho. Undoable from start to finish unless you’re vacuuming or something.
    Funny how far opinions vary. Songs Of Ignorance to me is their worst album technically, though October is right there. More of a testament to how great the other albums are. Lights Of Home I really like. SOE is to me a bit better than both of those.
  12. And to add another opinion into the mix I think SOI is one of their best albums and lights of home is amongst their best as well, top 25 songs anyway.