1. I’ve had the same. I’m 20 years old. Before I was a fan of U2 I only knew Beautiful Day, Elevation and Stuck In A Moment from ATYCLB but I had never heard of (for example) Kite and Walk On... After a while I discovered these songs and I really liked them. So I think LikeASONG and Tim have a good point
  2. I think people are more aware of some of u2’s back catalogue more than we realise. It’s the same way we find an obscure song from an artist we only like not love. There will be people out there who are not mad about u2 but like the troubles or someone who’s heard fez and thought that’s pretty cool. I love an alternate version of a bob Dylan song called Born In time yet I couldn’t tell you the names of half his songs. A song doesn’t need to be big for people outwith the fan base to know and like it.
  3. Originally posted by Bart20:[..]
    I’ve had the same. I’m 20 years old. Before I was a fan of U2 I only knew Beautiful Day, Elevation and Stuck In A Moment from ATYCLB but I had never heard of (for example) Kite and Walk On... After a while I discovered these songs and I really liked them. So I think LikeASONG and Tim have a good point
    Yeah never said they were wrong just thought people may have known some non "hit" U2 stuff.
    sweet tat you like Kite and WO
  4. Beautiful Day and Vertigo
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:I think people are more aware of some of u2’s back catalogue more than we realise. It’s the same way we find an obscure song from an artist we only like not love. There will be people out there who are not mad about u2 but like the troubles or someone who’s heard fez and thought that’s pretty cool. I love an alternate version of a bob Dylan song called Born In time yet I couldn’t tell you the names of half his songs. A song doesn’t need to be big for people outwith the fan base to know and like it.
    I don't think that's more aware than we realize, but it's just anecdotal evidence.

Sure there'll be someone outside of the hardcore fanbase that loves a random album non-single track, (not even mentioning a b-side or a rarity) but the amount of people that fit in that category would be negligible.

Even among people who consider themselves "hardcore" fans, or lifetime fans of U2, there'll be plenty of rarities or bsides that they're not familiar with.

(Anecdotal evidence from me: I "love" REM, but I'm mostly familiar with their main albums (90's...) and hits... but maybe the song I love the most is Fretless, which as far as I know is a rarity ---> it's on the "Until the End of the World" soundtrack, so I found it because of U2)
  6. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    I don't think that's more aware than we realize, but it's just anecdotal evidence.

Sure there'll be someone outside of the hardcore fanbase that loves a random album non-single track, (not even mentioning a b-side or a rarity) but the amount of people that fit in that category would be negligible.

Even among people who consider themselves "hardcore" fans, or lifetime fans of U2, there'll be plenty of rarities or bsides that they're not familiar with.

(Anecdotal evidence from me: I "love" REM, but I'm mostly familiar with their main albums (90's...) and hits... but maybe the song I love the most is Fretless, which as far as I know is a rarity ---> it's on the "Until the End of the World" soundtrack, so I found it because of U2)
    I think it just depends on how you enjoy your music. How much time you put into discovering new songs. A lot of people nowadays will only know the singles from any artist, then there will be people who know whole albums without even necessary liking them. If I discover a good song I tend to look into the album it’s from and listen to that, then from there I consider the rest of the artists work. Very often some of my favourite songs are non singles so suddenly from hearing a bands biggest hit I could find one of there lesser known albums and enjoy one of the lesser known songs. That’s the general progression I’ve taken when it comes to getting into music, I guess I’m not the only one so I think people will have heard something like a man and a woman from initially listening to beautiful Day on the radio. I agree though the numbers of people doing that won’t be huge.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think it just depends on how you enjoy your music. How much time you put into discovering new songs. A lot of people nowadays will only know the singles from any artist, then there will be people who know whole albums without even necessary liking them. If I discover a good song I tend to look into the album it’s from and listen to that, then from there I consider the rest of the artists work. Very often some of my favourite songs are non singles so suddenly from hearing a bands biggest hit I could find one of there lesser known albums and enjoy one of the lesser known songs. That’s the general progression I’ve taken when it comes to getting into music, I guess I’m not the only one so I think people will have heard something like a man and a woman from initially listening to beautiful Day on the radio. I agree though the numbers of people doing that won’t be huge.

Yeah, we agree enough that we're risking going in circles now.
    I haven't listen to radio in years, almost decades.

But...

I'll go further... I'll say that more than half of the people attending any U2 concert don't know the names of all 4 members of the band, much less they know more than a couple b-sides, if any. And that's people attending a U2 show, don't even bother with the rest of the audience.
  8. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

Yeah, we agree enough that we're risking going in circles now.
    I haven't listen to radio in years, almost decades.

But...

I'll go further... I'll say that more than half of the people attending any U2 concert don't know the names of all 4 members of the band, much less they know more than a couple b-sides, if any. And that's people attending a U2 show, don't even bother with the rest of the audience.
    Yep. I've even come across with people on the first row of a U2 show who doesn't know the name of more than 10 or 15 songs from the top of their heads. I don't have anything against that, all the best for them bc their minds are about to be blown
  9. I've been that fan at other gigs. As long as everyone has fun, there's no problem.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yep. I've even come across with people on the first row of a U2 show who doesn't know the name of more than 10 or 15 songs from the top of their heads. I don't have anything against that, all the best for them bc their minds are about to be blown
    There's several artist that I consider myself a fan of them, and I'd love to go to a live show, but I'd struggle as well to name more than 15 songs of them or to name all members of that band.

We live in a U2 bubble.
  11. I'm in the same bag too, I've attended many shows by bands I couldn't name all albums or didn't know the name of all their members. There's no problem and depending on the kind of show they put on, you might enjoy them even more than bands you're so passionate about (because you care less!).