1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    $320 for a seat or $90 for a GA is still more affordable (in % of monthly wage) than last tour's insane pricing for Latin America.

The main problem this tour is not the prices themselves (pretty similar to the last tour) but the amount of more expensive tickets there are, which increase the total gross per show but has no justification whatsoever other than pure greed. Same band, same stage, same venues, how can you charge 3 times more for the same seat only 3 years later? It's outrageous.

I posted this some months ago when US ticket sales were still not a complete debacle as they are now.

[..]
    cheers, got it!
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    $320 for a seat or $90 for a GA is still more affordable (in % of monthly wage) than last tour's insane pricing for Latin America.

The main problem this tour is not the prices themselves (pretty similar to the last tour) but the amount of more expensive tickets there are, which increase the total gross per show but has no justification whatsoever other than pure greed. Same band, same stage, same venues, how can you charge 3 times more for the same seat only 3 years later? It's outrageous.

I posted this some months ago when US ticket sales were still not a complete debacle as they are now.

[..]

We gad a similar discussion a couple of months back in the Radiohead forum . Radiohead are charging $99 for their MSG shows in July . The same ticket in the same section for U2 is $330..but you left out the fees Sergio .

Radiohead for section 108 at MSG is $99 plus fees $122 for 1 ticket on July 10th . U2 at MSG July 1 section 107 is $387 .
    Talk about greed . No rock concert is worth nearly $400 a ticket .

I could literally see all 4 Radiohead shows at MSG for the price of 1 U2 concert at MSG .
  3. U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018
    Fri, Jun 29 @ 8:00 PM-Prudential Center - Newark, NJ

USD $330.00
    Fees
    USD $7 (Order Processing Fee)
    USD $61.7 (Service Fee)
    Ticket Delivery
    Standard Mail: Allow 10 to 14 days for delivery
    USD $4.50
    Total
    USD $403.20

Whats with a $61 service fee ? The service fee is almost what I paid for my Radiohead ticket lol
  4. Thats for 1 ticket....1 .
  5. That's Ticketmasters cut.
  6. I can shed a little bit of light on the $61...not much, but a little.

When ticket prices are determined for these tours, they're generally done on the large scale, so every city's tickets are roughly the same. That being said, each specific venue has their own fees etc. that they impart on ticket sales - part of it is revenue that's allocated toward building repairs/preservation, some of it is a commission taken by the actual ticket vendor (in this case, Ticketmaster, as they do need to be paid somehow for selling these tickets - they are just an "agent" for U2* )...

No matter WHAT though, the arist's representatives will argue 100% of the time, that any percentage or fee that's not included in what they advise as a ticket price, needs to be added on top. These are almost always done in percentages.

For example, a relatively cheap ticket to see an arena band at United Center in Chicago might cost $40. The building may have an 8% fee that they build in to ticketing (hypothetical, but not an unrealistic number). That's what United Center has determined is a fair price to add on to a ticket for them to maintain their arena (and I can tell you firsthand even after just a month at the arena I work at - the wear and tear the building takes after just one show is worthy of a repair fund). An 8% fee tacked on to a $40 ticket only comes out to $3.20. Now sure, there are other fees and percentages all added in there, but you never see the breakdown.

The fees themselves aren't outlandish at all. If United Center needs to take an 8% cut for the building to be sustainable, fine. If Ticketmaster's policy to sign with them is to take a 5% commission on every ticket sold, fine. These are businesses that need to stay afloat. What's total bullshit is that they can't be transparent, and the artist's representatives have instead decided to push the problem onto the consumers. U2 won't eat the 8% and take it out of what they charge for tickets...they (and everyone else in the entire industry, hands down) make sure it is added on top, to maximize profits.

8% of $330 is $26.40. 5% of $330 is $16.50. There's two-thirds of your $60 "service fees" right there. Who knows what else is built in.

Everyone decided they needed to make THEIR money (artists, promoters, the buildings themselves), and stopped caring about the customer. Instead of playing the game, and adjusting ticket prices wherever possible to counter-act service fees, the entire music industry has just agreed that they can be thrown on top and charged directly to the consumer.

Obviously U2 doesn't need to be charging $330 for a ticket, but that's a bit beside my point.

*I understand that U2 is contracted by Live Nation, who owns Ticketmaster, so U2 are sorrrrrt of selling their own tickets. They don't need to add another fee for an "outside vendor" like a random club that sells its tickets on TM would. But the principle of TM still needing to make money still stands.
  7. (nevermind)
  8. Originally posted by EDDMB:U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018
    Fri, Jun 29 @ 8:00 PM-Prudential Center - Newark, NJ

USD $330.00
    Fees
    USD $7 (Order Processing Fee)
    USD $61.7 (Service Fee)
    Ticket Delivery
    Standard Mail: Allow 10 to 14 days for delivery
    USD $4.50
    Total
    USD $403.20

Whats with a $61 service fee ? The service fee is almost what I paid for my Radiohead ticket lol
    Outrageous falls quite short. What a disgrace.
  9. Ugh, I'm still hoping for a price drop or a GA available through ticketmaster (I have gift cards) for the LA show.
  10. I just saw those photos of curtain-downed sections from some of last week's shows. Is this the first time U2 hasn't sold out a show in the US in.... decades?

Then again, I don't know if it's the ticket prices (I don't know what the prices were for I+E, 360 & Vertigo were) or if their popularity is waning or if politics have alienated some people. Maybe all of the above?
  11. Originally posted by EDDMB:[..]

We gad a similar discussion a couple of months back in the Radiohead forum . Radiohead are charging $99 for their MSG shows in July . The same ticket in the same section for U2 is $330..but you left out the fees Sergio .

Radiohead for section 108 at MSG is $99 plus fees $122 for 1 ticket on July 10th . U2 at MSG July 1 section 107 is $387 .
    Talk about greed . No rock concert is worth nearly $400 a ticket .

I could literally see all 4 Radiohead shows at MSG for the price of 1 U2 concert at MSG .
    The thing is... Radiohead could double their prices (maybe triple in some markets) & they would still sell out. Hopefully they don't go that route...
  12. Originally posted by KleWdSide:I just saw those photos of curtain-downed sections from some of last week's shows. Is this the first time U2 hasn't sold out a show in the US in.... decades?

Then again, I don't know if it's the ticket prices (I don't know what the prices were for I+E, 360 & Vertigo were) or if their popularity is waning or if politics have alienated some people. Maybe all of the above?
    They didn't sell out stadium concerts in 360 and JT30. Even if they didn't sell out arenas in the past, it wasn't as bad as this.