1. MJB - No Drama

2. A beautiful and talented lady. No doubt.
  3. I don't hate hip hop as whole even though It's definitely not my kind of music. I just don't like modern commercial hip hop which is way far from the roots. I kinda like Beastie Boys or something from Cypress Hill...
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]

Loads of people are talented at music, I know guitarists that would be more than good enough to play in some of the best rock bands out there but they just didn’t happen to write a song that made them popular or perhaps they don’t have the image as unfortunately that is a big part of the music industry as well. So just because some rapper has sold millions of records and is widely acclaimed isn’t going to make me appreciate what they do. Yes that’s great they are maybe talented on a technical level at whatever it is they do but that ability isn’t going to make me like or appreciate a song I don’t like the sound of.

You have written my thoughts.
  5. People know what they know and like what they like.
  6. It was so bad last night, every halftime show is getting worse and worse, the guys are the greatest in hip hop, I understand and I see their talent, but are they part of the best musicians in history? No, not for a second.

The only who has a singing voice is Mary, she has an AMAZING voice. But the other guys just talk with rythm, and anybody can do that.

However, what makes them relevant is that Kendrick, Snoop Dog, etc have been able to tell their story in a time where hip hop, rap,rb are one of the only genres where (mostly young) people can relate to their anger and frustrations regarding inequality, growing up, racial disparities, and social criticism. And that is something positive.

That the music is not melodical, that the lyrics are not so profound, that the language is obscene, yes, that is not good from a musical pov. But some people like it and we have to respect it. Some like me are disappointed, music is mostly bad nowadays, but these are the times we live in. But hey, all people can hear what they like
  7. Originally posted by Juandi08:It was so bad last night, every halftime show is getting worse and worse, the guys are the greatest in hip hop, I understand and I see their talent, but are they part of the best musicians in history? No, not for a second.

The only who has a singing voice is Mary, she has an AMAZING voice. But the other guys just talk with rythm, and anybody can do that.

However, what makes them relevant is that Kendrick, Snoop Dog, etc have been able to tell their story in a time where hip hop, rap,rb are one of the only genres where (mostly young) people can relate to their anger and frustrations regarding inequality, growing up, racial disparities, and social criticism. And that is something positive.

That the music is not melodical, that the lyrics are not so profound, that the language is obscene, yes, that is not good from a musical pov. But some people like it and we have to respect it. Some like me are disappointed, music is mostly bad nowadays, but these are the times we live in. But hey, all people can hear what they like
    yes
  8. The halftime show was pre-ordained by NBC and the social media zeitgeist to be “one of, if not the, best ever” before it even occurred. Barring a literal breakdown of the show it was going to be largely praised in the media. It was the anti-Coldplay / Maroon 5 halftime show reception.

That said, whether anyone individually liked the musical genre or not, it was unquestionably a change of pace for the stodgy NFL and a relative corporate cultural breakthrough.

It was not particularly music that I am personal a fan of, but the production value was high, the performances were top notch and for a whole lot of people these were the legends of their musical youth. Well done NFL on giving rap and hip hop an opportunity to shine.
  9. Spot on.
  10. I don't mean this to sound the wrong way (genuinely curious), but for the posters here criticizing this type of music - are any of you under 40yrs old?

rap/hip-hop is by far more mainstream than "rock" is nowadays, and has been for quite a long time. So I'm just shocked how you can avoid it enough, to not have developed ANY appresh for it.

The people saying Eminem's "non melodic" ,"crappy one song he played", make me think of old out-of-touch parents and grandparents back in the days when their teenager's rock "was the devil's music!".
    That song (studio version) is so good, it deserved to beat the pants off U2 for that Oscar.
  11. It’s been mainstream for so long that the artists (Kendrick aside) who featured last night are as much heritage acts as U2 are at this stage of the game.