1. the question to me is, what 00's song is more recognized, BD or vertigo? many people think in "1,2,3,14..." immediately when i talk about U2
  2. the most reasonable thing about "signature' U2's song that i can conclude is: 70,80,90's kids is WOWY, 00's kids is Vertigo. (talking about the general public, not anyone else's personal taste)
  3. Originally posted by hedyzera:the most reasonable thing about "signature' U2's song that i can conclude is: 70,80,90's kids is WOWY, 00's kids is Vertigo. (talking about the general public, not anyone else's personal taste)
    Again, I think the "U2's signature song" varies from country to country and also between the different age groups / generations.

Pretty sure in Holland "I Will Follow (live)" will rank high as U2 signature song, especially for those born before, say, 1972...
  4. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Again, I think the "U2's signature song" varies from country to country and also between the different age groups / generations.

Pretty sure in Holland "I Will Follow (live)" will rank high as U2 signature song, especially for those born before, say, 1972...
    I think that the intention is to say what is the signature song worldwide, no? i will follow is not even the top 20 U2's recognized song in many countries
  5. Originally posted by hedyzera:[..]
    I think that the intention is to say what is the signature song worldwide, no? i will follow is not even the top 20 U2's recognized song in many countries
    Well perhaps there was something of an intention to find the worldwide signature song - I call that the starting "hypothesis" - but now I come to think that there isn't such a thing as a universal "signature song" for U2. Not like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody anyway (and even that might be disputed as universal Queen signature song).

Perhaps a bit of a let down that the conclusion might be that there is no signature U2 song for all generations across the world, but sometimes "no" is just the correct answer.

But apart from that, I'm still interested to hear the various signature U2 songs from all over the world and from all generations
  6. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Well perhaps there was something of an intention to find the worldwide signature song - I call that the starting "hypothesis" - but now I come to think that there isn't such a thing as a universal "signature song" for U2. Not like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody anyway (and even that might be disputed as universal Queen signature song).

Perhaps a bit of a let down that the conclusion might be that there is no signature U2 song for all generations across the world, but sometimes "no" is just the correct answer.

But apart from that, I'm still interested to hear the various signature U2 songs from all over the world and from all generations
    well, here in brazil i can say that, talking about U2, WOWY is a signature song for "Old people", and vertigo to "new people".
  7. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]

Another good point in my opinion is that, for bands with shorter careers, it's easier to choose a signature song - while for bands whose career spans through several decades (and our guys are well into their FIFTH decade together, holy crap!- it's significantly harder. The Beatles generated their whole massive legacy in just 9 years, Led Zeppelin in 12, etc. U2 have been going on for 42 years and have explored mostly every mainstream music genre out there, from post-punk to electronics to pop-rock to atmospheric to rock ballad to... Hence the big variation in opinions and answers to your question.

PS. Just for the record, I disagree with your opening post where you say The Beatles' signature song is Yesterday. It would be a tie between Let It Be and Hey Jude I think. Or maybe She Loves You.
  8. I totally agree...Yesterday would not be the Beatles song, but Let it Be, Hey Jude or Day in the Life (which a lot of rock experts would say is the greatest song of all time.)

For Queen are you sure it’s Bohemian Rhapsody and not We Will Rock You/We are the Champions?

And for U2 it’s WOWY without a doubt.
  9. @LikeASong and @JimmyMac91 : perfectly alright to disagree

But, I was thinking of the song people associate first with that particular band. Not the song that would represent their oeuvre (or "catalogue")
    the most. And, again, that song might indeed be different for various generations (or age groups).

And, true, you might also want to argue about what exactly needs to be understood as signature song. Pretty sure though that for Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" will hold for most.
  10. Originally posted by BigGiRL:@LikeASong and @JimmyMac91 : perfectly alright to disagree

But, I was thinking of the song people associate first with that particular band. Not the song that would represent their oeuvre (or "catalogue")
    the most. And, again, that song might indeed be different for various generations (or age groups).

And, true, you might also want to argue about what exactly needs to be understood as signature song. Pretty sure though that for Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" will hold for most.
    Another approach: think of it as if it was another band's concert. Say The Stones, or Bruce Springsteen, or Pearl Jam, or Radiohead, you name it. And they decide to play a U2 cover. Which one do you think would get a bigger audience reaction? The most hands raised, sing-along, etc? I think the answer is obvious: WOWY.

PS. Totally agreed about Bohemian. It IS Queen's signature song, it has everything the band has come to be known for: great vocals, piano, a good rocking section, fantastic guitar playing all around... And it's definitely the song that most people associate the band with. @jimmymac91 has a good point with We Will Rock You / Are The Champions though, they're definitely good contenders. But Bohemian plays in another league, it's like... well, like WOWY
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Another approach: think of it as if it was another band's concert. Say The Stones, or Bruce Springsteen, or Pearl Jam, or Radiohead, you name it. And they decide to play a U2 cover. Which one do you think would get a bigger audience reaction? The most hands raised, sing-along, etc? I think the answer is obvious: WOWY.

PS. Totally agreed about Bohemian. It IS Queen's signature song, it has everything the band has come to be known for: great vocals, piano, a good rocking section, fantastic guitar playing all around... And it's definitely the song that most people associate the band with. @jimmymac91 has a good point with We Will Rock You / Are The Champions though, they're definitely good contenders. But Bohemian plays in another league, it's like... well, like WOWY
    I think the most covered song is Still haven't found... Although it's my least favorite,
  12. Yes, I'd say Still Haven't Found is the most covered song, closely followed by One and WOWY. I think Running To Stand Still and AIWIY are way high too (probably higher than other more mainstream/known songs like Beautiful Day, Desire, etc) since there's a lot of artists which cover these two songs on a regular basis.

And yet all of that doesn't imply it would get a bigger reaction which was my point