1. I agree the band deserve a break but I don’t think a two week stint or so at the tail end of next year is really going to be too much of a strain. There won’t be too much pressure on them to work too hard, they could make it a relatively stripped back few shows (in terms of lighting etc, not having to co-ordinate everything to the nth degree) and rehearse some songs they enjoy playing. Playing music is what they enjoy doing, there’s pressures that must come with the music industry that probably aren’t that enjoyable but I really think they could do these shows with the pressure off.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:I'm very sorry for the fans down under but right now I just think they need to get a long and deserved break. They've been going pretty much non stop since 5 years ago. It's ironic that a band with a traditionally low output rate since 1983 has suddenly increased that rate in the latter years of their career, when the trend is usally the opposite!

This is only 8 (eight!) years ago. All of them, but specially Larry and Bono, look like 43985 years younger than they do now. They definitely need a break. They've earned it.

[image]
    I’d say more like 45679 years younger. But I guess you’re close enough
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:I'm very sorry for the fans down under but right now I just think they need to get a long and deserved break. They've been going pretty much non stop since 5 years ago. It's ironic that a band with a traditionally low output rate since 1983 has suddenly increased that rate in the latter years of their career, when the trend is usally the opposite!

This is only 8 (eight!) years ago. All of them, but specially Larry and Bono, look like 43985 years younger than they do now. They definitely need a break. They've earned it.

[image]
    that's how it goes at a certain point.. I don't think their looks should be in this discussion in any way.. it's more about what they need/want musically... I think for now, it's more like the fans need some time of (from touring and spending money)
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:I agree the band deserve a break but I don’t think a two week stint or so at the tail end of next year is really going to be too much of a strain. There won’t be too much pressure on them to work too hard, they could make it a relatively stripped back few shows (in terms of lighting etc, not having to co-ordinate everything to the nth degree) and rehearse some songs they enjoy playing. Playing music is what they enjoy doing, there’s pressures that must come with the music industry that probably aren’t that enjoyable but I really think they could do these shows with the pressure off.
    Hahaha, moving the whole U2 company down under for just a couple of standalone & stripped down shows? That's a funny one.
  5. Well when I say stripped down that’s pushing it a bit but less of the complexities of the E&I tour where the band had to probably rehearse not only the songs but to visuals etc and more like JT17 which kept it relatively simple. 6-8 shows in maybe 2 and a half weeks that doesn’t seem like too much, pairs of shows so 3-4 cities. They did a similar thing with the vertigo tour, this just would be it’s own tour.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:Well when I say stripped down that’s pushing it a bit but less of the complexities of the E&I tour where the band had to probably rehearse not only the songs but to visuals etc and more like JT17 which kept it relatively simple. 6-8 shows in maybe 2 and a half weeks that doesn’t seem like too much, pairs of shows so 3-4 cities. They did a similar thing with the vertigo tour, this just would be it’s own tour.
    I get what you say but the amount of work (both artistic, logistic and financial) needed for that small tour subdue by far the possible profit. U2 is a company, a business that pays dozens of payrolls - they can't just pack two guitars and a tambourine and go on the road. We wish
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I get what you say but the amount of work (both artistic, logistic and financial) needed for that small tour subdue by far the possible profit. U2 is a company, a business that pays dozens of payrolls - they can't just pack two guitars and a tambourine and go on the road. We wish
    I accept a lot goes into it all, financially and otherwise but I don’t think the band’s workload needs to be excessive and I definitely think there’s money in it for them. They could play 8 shows and looking at stadium capacities could end up grossing about half of what the whole E&I tour did, that seems to add up to me.
  8. Transporting all of the gear would cost a fortune. It is on the other side of the world.
  9. That’s true but we’re talking a lot of money from ticket sales. Look back at the vertigo tour Sydney shows and the attendance and money they brought in. They would bring in even more money with ticket prices increasing. Even looking at the other stadiums we’re talking them bringing in £50-£60million for 8 shows roughly, probably more in fact. I don’t think there expenses would outweigh that.
  10. Originally posted by ddarroch:Chili Peppers have just announced an Oz tour scheduled for next summer. It'll be an arena tour, with three festival dates (at wineries & a super car race) thrown in.

Actually starting the tour in Tasmania, at the tiny 7,500 seat Derwent Entertainment Centre!

Anthony K owns a property in NZ.
  11. Realistically it would be a tour that would run for maybe 6 weeks, depending on how they space the shows and where else they play besides AUS/NZ. If they play the largest stadiums (AFL grounds, 60k+ capacity) then I would guess it will be one show per city, two cities per week. But there are some smaller stadiums (25-40k) which the band might feel safer booking which may lead to 2 nights.
    Yes it will have been 9 years since they last toured Australia but that doesn't necessarily mean huge ticket sales. I never hear U2 on the radio, and the fanbase is not as large as it was. Madonna had a gap of over 20 years and still flopped, which might explain U2 and Guy Oseary's hesitance.
  12. I'm going to venture a guess that the JT 30 state sets are stored in South America. Not as expensive to ship from there to NZ/AUS.