1. Just as a random contribution/observation,from watching the new Coldplay documentary-however elaborate and expensive their 'Head Full Of Dreams' touring production must've been to transport,they had no problems going to central/south America,India,the far East,and Australia.
  2. Originally posted by BelfastBoy:Just as a random contribution/observation,from watching the new Coldplay documentary-however elaborate and expensive their 'Head Full Of Dreams' touring production must've been to transport,they had no problems going to central/south America,India,the far East,and Australia.
    It's a matter of willingness + money. Not only willingness, and not only money.
  3. Mostly just willingness I think
  4. U2 can afford to tour Australasia,they can afford to tour anywhere.They'd definitely s
  5. U2 can afford to tour Australasia etc,they can afford to tour anywhere.They'd definitely sell out in those rarely-visited territories.Would they make a profit,or break even?I don't know,but don't see why not.Do they want to go to those territories?I'm not so sure about that one.
  6. I don’t think they would need to worry about the financial side of things, despite all the additional costs the money they would bring in from only a handful of stadium gigs makes sense business wise. It is just a case of if they feel the need to disrupt there intended break but I reckon with 6-8 big stadium shows that would be enough to make a substantial profit so they really don’t need to make the work load heavy if they didn’t want to.
  7. U2 can't make a break even with a one off set of dates indoors in Aus/NZ/etc. The cost of rehearsals, gearing up a tour, and staging, staff, travel, means that it costs a lot before the first show.

As I understand it, the money U2 had laid down for 360 before they played the first show was somewhere in the region of $30m. Ei and TJT was probably less, but not enormously so.

For example, Neil Tennant from Pet Shop Boys once said "I realised during the middle of the 44th show we had just entered profitability on this tour".

Vertigo 2006 was an oddity really - the tour was meant to roll on near enough immediately after a two week break into stadiums in April 2006, and was only delayed several months for well known health reasons. Rescheduling the shows no doubt reduced their profit level considerably. Any Aus/NZ dates would likely have to be in stadiums and include Japan.
  8. Originally posted by markreed:U2 can't make a break even with a one off set of dates indoors in Aus/NZ/etc. The cost of rehearsals, gearing up a tour, and staging, staff, travel, means that it costs a lot before the first show.

As I understand it, the money U2 had laid down for 360 before they played the first show was somewhere in the region of $30m. Ei and TJT was probably less, but not enormously so.

For example, Neil Tennant from Pet Shop Boys once said "I realised during the middle of the 44th show we had just entered profitability on this tour".

Vertigo 2006 was an oddity really - the tour was meant to roll on near enough immediately after a two week break into stadiums in April 2006, and was only delayed several months for well known health reasons. Rescheduling the shows no doubt reduced their profit level considerably. Any Aus/NZ dates would likely have to be in stadiums and include Japan.

Well, I'm not sure what you'd consider a one off set of dates indoors. But I see no reason why e+i continuing in oz couldn't make a profit. Plenty of big artists tour indoors in oz. Did you see my link earlier, for artists that have toured in Sydney's 21,000 seat arena? A few pages back, so probably not.

Lots of indoor shows for some very poular acts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_events_at_the_Sydney_Super_Dome

As mentioned earlier, it's about money & willingness. I think they'd still turn a profit. But is the willingness of the band to tour there. Importantly, is the willingness of Live Nation to reduce it's share of the profit there.

Though the profit may be larger for a stadium tour, & importantly, the schedule would be a lot less demanding for the band - Sydney could probably cater for at least two stadium gigs, or at least six arena gigs.
  9. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]

Well, I'm not sure what you'd consider a one off set of dates indoors. But I see no reason why e+i continuing in oz couldn't make a profit. Plenty of big artists tour indoors in oz. Did you see my link earlier, for artists that have toured in Sydney's 21,000 seat arena? A few pages back, so probably not.

Lots of indoor shows for some very poular acts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_events_at_the_Sydney_Super_Dome

As mentioned earlier, it's about money & willingness. I think they'd still turn a profit. But is the willingness of the band to tour there. Importantly, is the willingness of Live Nation to reduce it's share of the profit there.

Though the profit may be larger for a stadium tour, & importantly, the schedule would be a lot less demanding for the band - Sydney could probably cater for at least two stadium gigs, or at least six arena gigs.
    Whether a band does one show or 50, the *core* cost of rehearsal time, tech, and similar is the same and so the number of shows would have to be sizable to match it.

If you remember, the original TJT30 shows discussed were something like 2 in US, and 2 in Europe, and the band realised they'd lose money on a set of one off dates, hence TJT30 grew to four legs and 50+ stadium shows.

What works for other bands does not work with U2. Doesn't matter if Pink tours indoor in Australia and makes it work for her, she ain't U2. U2 don't need the money, and haven't done for 30 years. But if they are going to tour, they aren't going to do it without making a profit.
  10. anyone got the actual numbers? I think the problem is that LiveNation is in charge and just prefers US and Europe over Australia. Of course it's possible to do Australia and make some profit, but margins will be a bit lower for sure. Also there was not much time left in the past years to go Australia. Now there is time, but I'm quite sure there're not going to restart E&I or JT30 tour. So maybe they are thinking about something like a LoveTown 30 tour? LoveTown also was a bit of a 'compilation tour', so my guess is they are thinking about something like that.
  11. There is no hope Australia. Move on, it ain't going to happen. Just go see Men at Work at the *smallclub.