1. Anyway, fantastic scenes when "The little things" gets played every night on this supposedly JT/Lovetown tour
  2. That doesn’t prove anything thats just a link that states that u2 have an agreement with live nation. It doesn’t say live nation get to decide when u2 tour. What I will say having read a few comments I do think it’s possible u2 did become obliged to tour in 2017 or suffer a financial loss because of staff etc (something u2 wouldn’t do live nation or no live nation) if they already put plans in place. However the key point is I still think the band made that initial decision to tour in 2017 and perhaps created there own problem when the album wasn’t ready. As I say even if they weren’t partners with livenation they would have to financially paid if they hadn’t toured and already had plans in place so the best solution was to do a different tour giving them time to work on the new album.

3. I don't recall them ever saying anything about doing a JT tour...until SOE stalled out and they weren't going out in Fall 2016.
  4. Nope. No word of it. And exactly, they've said they don't want to be a heritage act. So why would they do it if they're entirely in control of what they do? They had to do it.

A concert in Columbus, Ohio popped up on U2's official Facebook page as an event for autumn 2016.
  5. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Nope. No word of it. And exactly, they've said they don't want to be a heritage act. So why would they do it if they're entirely in control of what they do? They had to do it.

A concert in Columbus, Ohio popped up on U2's official Facebook page as an event for autumn 2016.
    You can be entirely in control of things and still financially responsible when you make plans that fall through. A postponed E&I tour due to SOE not being ready would probably cost quite a bit of money so why not turn that into a massive profit by playing a substitute tour in 2017 and still doing the E&I tour a year later, it makes complete sense.
  6. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Nope. No word of it. And exactly, they've said they don't want to be a heritage act. So why would they do it if they're entirely in control of what they do? They had to do it.

I don't think they saw it as a heritage act kind of move, but that may be splitting hairs. Just rewatched the bbc interview with Zane Low where Bono addresses that very issue, basically saying they didn't need to do it, they wanted to.
  7. Originally posted by thefly07:[..]
    I don't think they saw it as a heritage act kind of move, but that may be splitting hairs. Just rewatched the bbc interview with Zane Low where Bono addresses that very issue, basically saying they didn't need to do it, they wanted to.
    All that was definitely prepared statements. No chance the band are going to publicly state that they are touring an old album because they HAVE to.

Regardless as to how the tour came about it was always going to be marketed properly.
  8. Who cares anyway it was a great series of shows .
    As for the next tour, hang on to the End of the HMTMKMKM intermission visuals and then ending , To be continued.......
  9. Seems to be a lack of understanding of the corporate world in here
  10. Originally posted by SJKamal:1. The band always wanted to do some Joshua Tree shows. A couple in Europe and a couple in America.
    2. LiveNation nearly or probably even booked crew staff and transport etc, so they definitely needed a tour that year. SOE wasn't ready, so they told the band they would have to do the JT instead.
    3. LiveNation knew that they were going to do EI after JT. They've probably even worked out the costs for EI before JT even started. They needed a money maker to help increase profits because EI was so expensive.

All my own speculation of course.

Yeah I agree with this also I think Live Nation have a big influence on how and where the band tour since the 360 tour ended in 2011 U2 have dramatically scaled down the amount of shows and the countries they visit Aus/NZ has missed out on 3 tours and Eastern Europe has been ignored they seem to stick to big cities with guaranteed sell outs by playing smaller tours they can charge higher prices .It's also a tactic the Rolling Stones are doing small tours 3 or 4 months as opposed to 2 years on the road ,it does leave a lot of fans disappointed but also helps prolong the career of the band.
  11. Here’s the thing, most bands do have to sign a contract where they don’t have total control. U2 could afford to put the tour on themselves and make the money if they wanted, however, they allow live nation to make there cut and in return they receive a lump sum which helps to cover the initial costs and minimises the risks for the band but allows live nation to make there money for taking what is really an almost non existent risk really. Not every artist is u2, whilst I can accept an opposing view I find it hard to understand how anyone can think u2 sign a contract at this stage of there careers that puts them in a position that they are obligated to play shows except in the example I had previously given where the band had everything planned then changed there mind, of course then they would have an obligation. I think u2 can play when they want and how often they want, maybe there is some terms about the promoter getting there money back but the 360 tour would have covered that long ago. I’m fairly certain there next tour after this deal runs out (some time after 2020) will be a stadium one as well, allowing live nation to probably get there money back and more in one tour before making additional profits in years to come, assuming they have renewed there contract within live nation which I think they have or will.
  12. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Nope. No word of it. And exactly, they've said they don't want to be a heritage act. So why would they do it if they're entirely in control of what they do? They had to do it.

I remember when that Columbus show popped up on Facebook. I believe ticketmaster also had it up for a short time, before it was taken down. I recall it was still billed as the "Innocence and Experience Tour". I was so excited, because that's my city and they haven't been to Cbus since 2001.

My guess is that since they did Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Louisville on JT, all cities within a few hours of Columbus, they felt there was no need to go there again in 2018.