1. Originally posted by kezman:Does anyone think this is coming to its end??
    From what I can make out here in the UK people contracting Omricon reporting mild cold symptoms,had ONE night with a couple of friends days before Christmas,next day they have it,despite negative LFTs day before.Their entire family caught it- including the 70 year old dad and nothing more than a few sneezes.
    Positive vibes for 2022?
    No chance. Things will get better in time for spring and summer. But the next variant of concern will be along at some point, and as we go into autumn and winter cases will skyrocket once again.

I hate to be a negative nelly, as that's not really in my nature. But I really believe 2022 is going to be more of the same shit. At least at this time last year, we had the hope of vaccines to hold on to. Now there really is no light at the end of the tunnel.
  2. My home state of New South Wales peaked at around 1,600 cases a day last winter during the Delta wave. We're in summer now and hit 35,000 cases in one day yesterday with everyone expecting that record to be exceeded almost immediately. Omicron is certainly making a mockery of last year's concerns; with the one salvation being that over 93% are double vaxxed and we're very rapidly rolling out the booster shot, so the hospitals are coping (just). I'm optimistic that 2022 is the start of the end of the pandemic but who knows?
  3. italy, 100k cases a day
  4. Originally posted by kezman:Does anyone think this is coming to its end??
    From what I can make out here in the UK people contracting Omricon reporting mild cold symptoms,had ONE night with a couple of friends days before Christmas,next day they have it,despite negative LFTs day before.Their entire family caught it- including the 70 year old dad and nothing more than a few sneezes.
    Positive vibes for 2022?

Hope so, we had a record # of positive tests today in NL but the hospital numbers keep dropping. Hoping that Omnicron is the way out of this instead of lockdown after lockdown (Amsterdam is pretty much completely closed except for supermarkets)
  5. The hospitalisations and deaths is the key numbers really. It doesn’t really matter if the whole world is infected if it’s not severe enough to cause any significant medical problems. We’re obviously not at that stage, likely never will be to that extreme but the total cases are just headline grabbing numbers I think anyone who really cares about it or wants to read into should stick with hospitalisations and the death toll, you could use the total number of infections and relate that to they numbers to get an idea of the percentage of hospitalisations and deaths in comparison to number infected.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:The hospitalisations and deaths is the key numbers really. It doesn’t really matter if the whole world is infected if it’s not severe enough to cause any significant medical problems. We’re obviously not at that stage, likely never will be to that extreme but the total cases are just headline grabbing numbers I think anyone who really cares about it or wants to read into should stick with hospitalisations and the death toll, you could use the total number of infections and relate that to they numbers to get an idea of the percentage of hospitalisations and deaths in comparison to number infected.
    I agree that case numbers are irrelevant. But that seems to be the number that the media harps on about, and that seems to be the number that drives our leaders to make decisions about lockdowns, curfews, capacity limitations, etc.
  7. It’s great where I am.
  8. I get my third booster shot tonight. It is really hard to find at the moment. Log waiting lists!
  9. I think this is it, Covid will hopefully become endemic with omicron as it will be come the dominant strain.

Sure it will mutate but so does the flu every year. As long as we have medicine to treat and hospitals aren’t overflowing we will be okay.

I am optimistic this is the last big hoorah as we will all have omicron protection which helps for future infection.
  10. 1 in 3 are testing positive now here. They have stopped reporting for some reason.
  11. We have hit a wall on testing and are only testing those exposed or showing symptoms. No surprise we are over 50% on positive tests. Hospitalizations are rising here and they’ve just announced today they are hitting their limit at hospitals and will be turning away anyone except immediate emergencies (still a bit lower than the previous peak though). Far worse here than at any point during the pandemic so far. Yes hospitalizations may be less as a percentage, but so many more are catching this one it’s still ended up in the same spot. On a personal note they’ve stopped doing routine testing for chronic diseases as well. Means a whole bunch of us who are diabetics and require some guidance to control our disease are now not able to get blood work done. Hitting others hard as well with other issues.

And we are still being held up as doing things well, handling all this better than the rest of the country. We’ve just reached out for military support with testing. So still feeling pretty good about being where I am if I have to go through this.
  12. Similar 30% and more positivity rate here and I agree that it's the number in hospital and ICU that really is the key metric but resourcing seems to be a big problem. We have the beds but with so many frontline workers exposed, infected and furloughed, the ability to staff wards is a greater challenge.