1. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Record company probably pushing some sort of compilation as they might be reluctant to get behind new material as it's a hard sell in today's climate for established acts particularly if the band aren't ready to tour it until the dust settles with the ongoing pandemic , nostalgia sells as we've seen with The Joshua Tree Tour and various remastered boxsets ,I don't think it's a path U2 necessarily want to take or need to take financially but they know whatever new material they release will probably make very little impact on the various music platforms which we've seen on the last 3 albums apart from 2 or 3 songs which had reasonable success.
    Wrong , it's not a hard thing to get behind if the band is hungry and they actually have some good tunes to unlock , look at the RHCP latest long player ! It's brilliant. They are only a decade behind U2 in terms of longevity. U2 have become lazy and to worried about taking risks for fear of failure.
  2. Maybe they don't have some good tunes to release and are using this time to fill in a gap by revisiting old material,something the record company would be delighted with as there is nothing as good as a bit of nostalgia for getting fans to open their wallets,and it could be they aren't ready to commit to a tour so they might wanna hold off on releasing new material until they are.
  3. The unplugged train has left. We have a completely different, fast-moving time in music. Heard today, obsolete tomorrow. I think the rearranged album with old songs won't go down well with U2 fans. They'll probably put some bonus tracks on it telling us to buy it because we haven't heard it. That's my opinion on that. Before talking about a new album, the part from 2017 with the JT tour film should be warmed up again.
  4. For me, live is the place to rework songs and play around with them. My biggest criticism of any concert experience is when the artist makes a perfect recreation of the album track; if I wanted that I'd stay home and play the CD/LP. It doesn't have to a major rewrite or radical interpretation; just sufficient variation to be interesting.
  5. This is by far my saddest day as a U2 fan of 37 plus years....A new version of Where The Streets Have No Name? What in the bloody hell? I think I am officially renouncing my U2 mega Fandom. I can now empathize with how Matt McGee felt when he shuttered atu2 a few years ago. I'll see U2 play live if they are near me but my days of spending my hard earned cash to travel around North America are over. This is a disgusting cash grab for the record label and a banal attempt to be relevant today. I am so disappointed and disgusted. The future doesn't need a big kiss from this band anymore...their future has dried up
    ..at least for me.
  6. So a (semi) acoustic version of Where The Streets Have No Name as a single? That's daring, curious how that turns out..
  7. Enjoy!
  8. These SOS announcements are really putting the subscription gift on the back burner.
  9. I would love to talk to Paul McGuiness for his honest assessment of the state of U2 right now.
  10. Originally posted by LostSailor:This is by far my saddest day as a U2 fan of 37 plus years....A new version of Where The Streets Have No Name? What in the bloody hell? I think I am officially renouncing my U2 mega Fandom. I can now empathize with how Matt McGee felt when he shuttered atu2 a few years ago. I'll see U2 play live if they are near me but my days of spending my hard earned cash to travel around North America are over. This is a disgusting cash grab for the record label and a banal attempt to be relevant today. I am so disappointed and disgusted. The future doesn't need a big kiss from this band anymore...their future has dried up
    ..at least for me.
    I don't get the negativity all the big bands have been milking their back catalogue for decades the Stones,Gnr have given up putting out new music and just rebrand their old classics U2 have dabbled here and there but haven't soley relied on past glories,this acoustic and new take on old songs is just a stopgap until they release a new album in 2023 which isn't that far off.
  11. There are no official announcements yet, so it makes no difference for the subscription gift