U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Legs (1): 2023-2024
Shows: 40
Tickets:
  1. As the token Aussie, let me speak into this space a bit...

NRL
    NRL is the 'National Rugby League' - the Australian league of Rugby League. Only 13 players + 4 substitutions in an 80 min game broken into two halves. Similar structure and plays to NFL in some ways, but it's more physically brutal, no forward passes and overall a faster game.

Australia have been trying to crack with US market with it for decades - huge potential appeal and Australia are the dominant country for the sport both in terms of quality of the games and positional power. It would be very lucrative financially and politically for Australia to achieve US engagement.

US Games
    These rumors are another attempt to do so starting from 2024. From multiple sources, the aim is to have two games a year for 5 years in Las Vegas to launch the season in Australia and to market it in the US. This is what is referred to as the 'double-header' over 3 days. 2 games supported by other sporting, tv/movie, cultural and Australian engagements. This seems to have transformed into a potential 'Australia Week' concept.

U2 Speculation
    U2's involvement is very much per speculation and has come from the Board Chair of the NRL mentioning them. I find it unlikely he would mention U2 if there hadn't been discussions but don't know the scope or U2's intent.

Why It Could Work
    If something was to occur, I would imagine it would be as part of a larger licensing/U2 tie-in. The NRL has had a long history during this with Tina Turner (Simply the Best - 1990 to 1995), Tom Jones (What a Games - 2000), and Jon Bon Jovi (This is Our House - 2011-2012) where it has included a theme song, unique recordings of songs to fit the league and performances at the Grand Final in October. Should anything like this be agreed, I can also see the potential for an Australian tour given the prime stadium touring opportunity in Australia in Oct/Nov/Dec immediately after the finals of the main winter sporting codes.

Why It Won't Work
    What makes this unlikely? Well to date we have been told that the Sphere dates in December are the last ones so there would be nothing left to tie/hold U2 to Vegas in March or April of 2024. While U2 has allowed their tunes to be used across a number of different sporting and cultural events (perhaps most notably the US International Football (Soccer) team), this hasn't extended to a wider commercial tie-in with adverts, appearances, and specialized versions of songs. I can imagine if this were to occur the reaction from fans may be mixed. The biggest reason I don't see it happening is why? I see no strong links between U2, the NRL and Australia. If the aim is to market the NRL and Australia more to America for a one-off event I believe there are much better-suited musical artists.
  2. Happy Australia week! Here's an Irish band (plus a Dutch lad).
  3. Saw this on Facebook. There's now an overhang on the 200 sections. Although I notice the seating chart doesn't include the overhang for the 100 sections. Maybe the diagram is wrong and the overhang has been put in the wrong place?

4. How many overhangs can a venue have
  5. Also GA looks tiny . Red Zone described as a "riser" , does that move up on hydraulics ?
  6. from u2songs

A General Admission floor will be priced at $267.88, and at each show there will be a (RED) Zone riser at the back of the GA area which will hold 50 people, priced at $600.00.

reddit user

Red zone will be a platform elevated about 3 feet off the GA floor to see over GA, should you decide to stay in the redzone section.
  7. Originally posted by SJKamal:Saw this on Facebook. There's now an overhang on the 200 sections. Although I notice the seating chart doesn't include the overhang for the 100 sections. Maybe the diagram is wrong and the overhang has been put in the wrong place?

[image]
    It comes from a secondary ticketing site. I’m guessing they have just put the overhand at the wrong spot. The Ticketmaster still shows the overhang at the 100/200 sections. Which makes sense - the venue is a circle, and you can see the above photo doesn’t make a circle unless you move the 100 section to the right…
  8. GA supposedly holds about 4500 people, so I don’t think it’s all that small.

“Riser” has been used before to describe the VIP area for the 2018 shows etc. It just means it’s elevated off the floor itself, not that it moves.