Stories of Surrender Tour
Legs (3): Promo appearances, 2022, 2023
Shows: 42
  1. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

Glad you enjoyed it. I certainly loved seeing him in Chicago.

Question: U2gigs describes the guy running up to the stage and security needing to prevent him from getting onstage, with Bono being unhappy about the incident. Was your reaction more favorable, it seems?
    I wouldn’t say he was trying to get on the stage, just got to the front edge of the stage and held out his book and pen from what I could see. The security seemed a bit late to the game considering they were sitting on chairs in front of the stage. As for Bonos reaction, certainly not happy but took the time to draw a pic rather than just sign it.
  2. I have to say, that was far better that I could’ve imagined. Bono is in fine voice, he sounds better than I’ve heard him for a while. There’s some lovely stories told throughout the night, which will of course be very familiar if you’ve dug into the book. If you’ve only read the book and not listened to the audiobook, then I think the show will add that extra dimension to what you’ve read. It’s a rather heartwarming evening and I’m grateful I got the chance to experience it.
  3. Originally posted by iTim:I have to say, that was far better that I could’ve imagined. Bono is in fine voice, he sounds better than I’ve heard him for a while. There’s some lovely stories told throughout the night, which will of course be very familiar if you’ve dug into the book. If you’ve only read the book and not listened to the audiobook, then I think the show will add that extra dimension to what you’ve read. It’s a rather heartwarming evening and I’m grateful I got the chance to experience it.
    Yeah I enjoyed it more than I thought, although from where i was sat (far right near the back), it was hard to hear the sound from the speakers on stage, which caused some of audience members to shout “shut the **** up” or “can you stop eating I can’t hear!”

I presume this was a venue issue though, most places have speakers hanging up by the stalls, the apollo did not.

There were also some venue staff stood next to me also, all I could hear was the chatter from there radios, which takes you away from stories…. So nothing against the show, maybe just the wrong venue?
  4. Loved the show in Manchester last night. And it is a “show”. As a lifelong fan, even though the stories weren’t new to me, hearing them from Bono’s mouth while the song intro’s swelled was really emotional. A unique event never to be forgotten. And as others have said, Bono is in fine voice.

(Gutted I picked the wrong book-shop earlier. I was one of the dozens of folk hovering in Waterstones, only to be disappointed!).
  5. Originally posted by flopro:[..]
    Yeah I enjoyed it more than I thought, although from where i was sat (far right near the back), it was hard to hear the sound from the speakers on stage, which caused some of audience members to shout “shut the **** up” or “can you stop eating I can’t hear!”

I presume this was a venue issue though, most places have speakers hanging up by the stalls, the apollo did not.

There were also some venue staff stood next to me also, all I could hear was the chatter from there radios, which takes you away from stories…. So nothing against the show, maybe just the wrong venue?
    Oh god yeah, there were a fair number of distractions in that place. I thought a fight was going to break out when he was talking about Iris. With it being so quiet as well, even the creaking of the doors as people took a break was significant.
  6. Originally posted by iTim:[..]
    Oh god yeah, there were a fair number of distractions in that place. I thought a fight was going to break out when he was talking about Iris. With it being so quiet as well, even the creaking of the doors as people took a break was significant.
    Yeah, terrible timing with that one! Not sure what it was over, I presume just people talking through the performance.

Where about’s were you sat?
  7. Originally posted by flopro:[..]
    Yeah, terrible timing with that one! Not sure what it was over, I presume just people talking through the performance.

Where about’s were you sat?
    I was in row CC, sat just left of centre about 4-5 rows behind the mixing desk. Had a great view of the teleprompter
  8. Did you take a picture of the teleprompter(s)? Real star of the show...
  9. I was in row DD. There were a couple of problems. In the row behind us was a drunk couple arguing with each other. The lady had sneaked her phone in & was filming it.

A few rows further back, there was a bigger disturbance. Two guys & one guy arguing. I think the two had had quite a few beers & were shouting even in the quieter pieces of the show.

They were taken out by security, but were allowed back in about 15 mins later.

It did take a bit away from the show as it was hard to concentrate with all the idiotic behaviour.

It was still fantastic though !
  10. Was up in the circle seats.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the show.
    Was a strange experience, a couple near me thought they were at a U2 concert.
    Amusing when the reworked tracks came an abrupt end & their confused looks.
    Generally a good & respectful crowd for a Saturday-the normal drunk idiots & the "look at me" types shouting pathetic comments excepted.