1. This thread is pointless speculation. We have known for a long time that he wasn't going to be at The Sphere.

Time to move on.
  2. The good news for me is: They now have a stand-in/sit-in for Larry Mullen for future tours, if needed. Will make it easier to tour, insurance-wise, imho.
  3. For many bands, various members are ancillary to the group and not necessarily, for lack of a better word, important. I think of The Rolling Stones, Van Halen or Pink Floyd as perfect examples. They both have had major overhauls of line ups but have always kept a very core membership. The rhythm section is usually the most susceptible to replacement. There are other bands who have zero original members but continue to perform to great effect, they tend to be lesser fame bands but nonetheless they exist. The situation is a bit different with a band like U2. Unlike The Rolling Stones, Van Halen or Pink Floyd, U2 has never had a replacement (other than a date or two). The four members are all synonymous with the title of the band. There are four members of a band that have been solid since the late 1970's. They have a longer history than the other four member band that can make the claim of being together and their members each bringing to mind the name of the band when you hear their names. I would prefer that U2 disband if Larry is no longer able to proceed rather then see them slog on like The Rolling Stones or any of the others I mentioned. It becomes slightly depressing after some point.

4. Bono is more replaceable than The Edge ... hot take ? Maybe.

For me the true core to this band is The Edge. The Edge could sing on some new tunes as well as the old ones and not be too dissimilar to Bono's vocal tone.

That said Bono is definitely the heart of the band!
  5. Nobody except U2 tributes would be able to learn Edge's parts. They are highly individualized.
  6. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]

You're stating the obvious. It's far easier to replace a drummer or bassist (depending on the band) than a lead vocalist or guitarist. Bono and Edge arguably have the biggest personalities of the band. It's quite obvious that any band would want the prestige and money of opening the Sphere. By all accounts all members of the band had to sign off on the Sphere plans but if you want to think Larry was outvoted 🤷‍♂️

Also stating the obvious.
    All members of the band signing off /Larry being outvoted can coexist.
  7. U2 is allways the sum of parts. Larry and Adam are always a great part of the U2 sound. No Edge without the rythmsection.