1. Sure, we all enjoy the music...but what about the in-between song banter? Any particularly memorable moments that come to mind?

I must say, the all-time favorite for it's pure absurdity has to be Bono's "I can talk if I want to" speech in Milan...and "excusez moi". Haha.
  2. There is another one where he tries to break up a fight during I think between two people. Classic.

Or the 2005-07-23 show during I Will Follow where he gets the staff to take a bottle or a ball? off some people and that 'I don't think they need any more advertising'.

I think this topic is gonna get some great replies...
  3. Live at Slane Castle 2001:

It went something like this:

Bono: 'Edges old man was also a tenor, and my father was a tenor, and when my father and the Edgeds old man got together, things would go off, ya kno what Im saying, and I am remembering this second, my father and The Edges father, walking down Madison Avenue, New York City, 1 o'clock, two of them pissed as farts, singing the duet from the silver fish.'
  4. I'm glad this came up . . . I was thinking about a Lovetown show (maybe in Japan?) that I used to have on bootleg years ago where Bono says something about being the same as the audience except that the audience had made him "very, very rich." It was a truly awkward moment and completely out of character for the band.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Which show was it?
  5. Originally posted by ahittle(...)where Bono says something about being the same as the audience except that the audience had made him "very, very rich." It was a truly awkward moment and completely out of character for the band.

LOL that sounds as MacPhisto...
  6. Originally posted by drewhigginsThere is another one where he tries to break up a fight during I think between two people. Classic.

Any ideas where this was from? It does sound interesting...

And yeah, that does sound like MacPhisto...but during Lovetown Macphisto's predecessor.

Speaking of MacPhisto, one of the greatest has to be..."But you know there's someone who used to come and see us all the time and who hasn't been round for a while. We used to be so close. People think I've forgotten about Him but I haven't; I used to find Him so inspired back then. He invented me. I was His most magnificent creation; the brightest star in His sky. Now look at me. A tired old pop star in platform shoes. I try to speak to Him all the time but He won't take my calls."

Dublin, 8-28-1993
  7. Originally posted by ahittleI'm glad this came up . . . I was thinking about a Lovetown show (maybe in Japan?) that I used to have on bootleg years ago where Bono says something about being the same as the audience except that the audience had made him "very, very rich." It was a truly awkward moment and completely out of character for the band.

1989-12-01 - Osaka, Japan. I think in that show there´s another banter, where Bono threatens to kick a guy out of the stadium because he's annoying the band somehow. ('Another piece of shit from you, mister, and you're out, whether front row or not' Or something like that, free quotin').
  8. In one show (2004-11-22) Bono asks if the audience can hear very well. Lots of interesting talk in that show, two of my absolute faves are when he does his Revolution speech during Sunday Bloody Sunday in R&H. One of my favourite shows, a great version of COBL.

The other, numerous times however, is when he speaks of Christopher Nolan, the Irish poet with cystic fibrosis (or another illness?) who won a Nobel Prize for Damburst Of Dreams. Brilliant.
  9. I think about a lot of speeches from MacPhisto...

Eg that strait sentence "Goodbye all you Neo-Nazi's, i hope they give you Auschwitz"
    Or " I know your popstars need to be exciting, so i bought these..."

And actually all the banters during the show at Slane Castle...
    eg "... I wanna thank my old man for that 500 ponds..." just a few days after the death of his father...

Or when Bono takes a picture from 2 fans with their camera's, then asking the audience to teach him to dance and saying "Bono... Bono... sexy person" I thought, wauw, so long on stage and still having such a good time on stage...

But there are so many more...
  10. I love the band introduction in Boston, 2001. Someone got it?
  11. How about this one? At Slane when someone throws water on Bono, he smiles and points, saying 'All I want is f*ckin' you'. There are heaps of them, maybe the most known 'This song is not a rebel song. This song, is, Sunday Bloody Sunday'.
  12. Originally posted by dangit823Any ideas where this was from? It does sound interesting...
    It happened three or four times on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, but I only remeber one of them: in Phoenix, 1985-03-01, he stops the song The Unforgettable Fire and the group play Pride to pacify the crowd.