1. I agree; when a band says something like "You're the best!" its probably meant as a sign of appreciation rather than a literal statement of being better than the rest. And with something as subjective as concerts and crowds, it's difficult determining which is "best" anyway.
  2. I tried (unsuccessfully, haha) to start an "Interesting Banter" thread a while back. Instead of re-typing the 7 or so lengthy posts, here is a link. Lots of good stuff in there:

http://www.u2start.com/topic/1035/
  3. Originally posted by u2met86[..]

i'm sorry BelgianBono, i didn't mean to put words in your mouth there
    (...nobody here taking orders / when love took a train heading south sorry i couldn't resist, i should be slapped)

...ANYwho...

though i've never felt that what bono's banter is an issue, i very much understand your point.

---

i know i'm gonna sound like i'm angrily defending bono now (also which i don't mean to do), but just to toss out some other interpretations, perhaps a phrase like "you're the best" either 1) refers to the U2 audience at large, or 2) is used as an expression, not comparing one city to another (i.e. "thanks for helping me out! you're the best" is not meant to belittle other people, just used to express extreme gratitude to one particular person)

I know you didn't meant that but i was just thinking i sounded very negative

And i must admit i think i got it wrong all the time cause that's exactly what Bono says and means
    (sometimes it sounds different at a show )

But back to the banters...

Welcome to ZooTV ya'll
    I have a vision !!! I HAVE a vison !!! TELEVISON !!!
  4. Whooo...
    Just found a new one.

I was watching a vid for Miami during Popmart.
    The guys are doing the Ba Ba Ba-Ba-Ba Ba Ba Bah Ba, part...
    And Bono suddenly speaks up..

"Ba Ba Ba-Ba Ba Fuckin Ba Ba!"

Nearly spit out my Sunkist.
  5. From POPmart Mexico, Mexicofo!
  6. "I need to be blind sometimes"

before Desire on Boston DVD
  7. "Fuck Thiiiiiisssss !!!!"

Bono in the intro from Hold Me, Thrill Me Kiss Me, PopMart Mexico City
  8. I don't know how old the debate i'm replying to is, but i have nothing wrong with something like changing lyrics in Beautiful Day. He's making local references, but isn't suggesting anything like we love playing this city more than anywhere else.

Comments like 'you're great', 'you're beautiful' are just fine too. He's referring to the audience, moreso than the city.

Besides, there's no harm if you have a special connection to the city to say how much you like the place or how much the city means to you.

So, to answer the original question, i quite like some of the banter from Auckland

"Many countries have problems with their flag. Thats what makes a country great, flags. But we are so so so proud that our country is a freer and more peaceful place now blah blah blah...blessed indeed are the cheesemakers"

And at the start of Kite on the first night...."Somebody plant a tree on that beautiful hill. You cannot tear down poetry. You cannot chainsaw poetry"

Some very good speeches from before SYCMIOYO those two nights.

Also, it is criminal nobody has mentioned this ripper

"Good people of Yorkshire...you've made a terrible mistake, George Harrison says you shouldn't be here, it's all about big f***ing hats and lemons and ego. I've one thing for you George - pump it up!"