1. Originally posted by haytrain:I think I'm the only one that's not that impressed with the guitar intro. He's picking out individual notes from variations on a chord. Oh well.

The right individual notes from variations on the right chord

It's not an impressive guitar-playing demonstration, I perfectly know that. (btw, most of Edge's playing isn't, either!!!)... But the melody is sweet and delicate, the audience is quiet... Moreover, the facts that this is played by Bono and not by The Edge, and that it's only been (improvisedly) played once, and therefore is highly unique.....
    I don't know why, but that little guitar part really strikes my chord (no pun intended).

2. There is only one really haunting version of Running To Stand Still, and that is the album version.
    So pure and emotional.

It used to be my older brother's favorite song on The Joshua Tree. That was the last U2 album he bought, before he died in an car accident in 1988. So, it makes the song really special to me.

It was in Amsterdam, the second Vertigo concert in 2005, that U2 played Running To Stand Still for the last time until now. I had some feeling that my brother was 'looking from above' that night. They played RTSS, and followed with a Bono solo of Amazing Grace, it send shivers down my spine. It was a special night and I am glad I was there, and, allthough a bit illegal to say on this topic, I don't mind they don 't play on the current tour. That way it stays a bit my very own song.
  3. When I listen or try to download this version, all I get is 4 seconds???
  4. Originally posted by gavinfriday:There is only one really haunting version of Running To Stand Still, and that is the album version.
    So pure and emotional.

It used to be my older brother's favorite song on The Joshua Tree. That was the last U2 album he bought, before he died in an car accident in 1988. So, it makes the song really special to me.

It was in Amsterdam, the second Vertigo concert in 2005, that U2 played Running To Stand Still for the last time until now. I had some feeling that my brother was 'looking from above' that night. They played RTSS, and followed with a Bono solo of Amazing Grace, it send shivers down my spine. It was a special night and I am glad I was there, and, allthough a bit illegal to say on this topic, I don't mind they don 't play on the current tour. That way it stays a bit my very own song.

Wow, that's really a special story... I'm very sorry about your brother, may he rest in peace. I'm sure that what you felt that night is one of your most special experiences; and trust me, hearing stories like yours make me realize the real power of the music. I really hope that they don't play it again, but in case they do it, I wish you're there, with your brohter besides you

5. That's a problem in your side, becuase it still works fine here. Check it out in a few minutes and, if it doesn't work yet, I'll sort you a Mediafire upload
  6. R.D.S. Arena

7. Excellent sound makes it more pleasing on the ear

To be fair though, the arrangment of the song is great. Although nothing can touch the album version, it certainly is great to hear a different take on it performed so well.
  8. Originally posted by iTim:Excellent sound makes it more pleasing on the ear

To be fair though, the arrangment of the song is great. Although nothing can touch the album version, it certainly is great to hear a different take on it performed so well.

I 100% agree on that, on both things. One of my favorite re-arrangements of all time, so different to the album version but so special in its own way. And the Halle, Halle, HalleluuuUUJAAAHH sounds absolutely desperate, and takes the song to another place, much darker, much deeper. So moving.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I 100% agree on that, on both things. One of my favorite re-arrangements of all time, so different to the album version but so special in its own way. And the Halle, Halle, HalleluuuUUJAAAHH sounds absolutely desperate, and takes the song to another place, much darker, much deeper. So moving.

I must admit, the hallelujah's are incredible.
  10. Running To Stand Still on the Sydney dvd was the single moment that turned me into a fan. Haunting.
  11. Bono just wrote this about Lou Reed:

(...)Velvet Underground, who then influenced pretty much every group that had a foot in the Seventies. (Witness our own "Running to Stand Still" for red-handed proof.)

Maybe I'm too blind/deaf but I can't see where is the VU influence in RTST. Anyone?