1. Didn't feel like making a new topic for the Vertigo//Chicago DVD so this will suffice.

Watching it now...I know a lot of people shit on Hamish for his editing style, but I think it suits the show pretty well. It's fast when the show has energy, and tasteful at other times (Miracle Drug, the whole opening sequence of COBL come to mind). I do wish we had a steadier show to compare it too, more of a "fly on the wall" approach to filming so you could get a real good sense of what it was like to be there...but most concert films don't really do that, either.

Also, I think it's one of Bono's finest vocal performances of New Years Day that we have on pro-shot footage. The "say its true" verse is astoundingly good for the shape his voice was in.

It could just be nostalgia since this DVD was what made me fall head over heels in love with U2, but I think this is one of the strongest concerts we have on tape. The Vertigo setlists were just amazing, even though performances of Pride and Bullet seemed kind of tired. How could they not?

Sound mix is just really on point, too.

What do people specifically like / dislike about this DVD? I'll probably keep chiming in and replying to myself below as the video plays.
  2. It is arena U2 at their finest, in my opinion. I love a lot of the performances on the Boston DVD but this is just a cooler show, IMO.
  3. The continuity error in Zoo Station
  4. Electric co is amazing RTSS,The Fly,Streets One without the cringe worthy intro at the start which amazingly you can skip to the start of the song on the DVD overall it's a great concert with a good varied long setlist ,however they should have filmed the 2nd leg of the US tour as they were on fire as the first leg they hadn't quite nailed some of the newer songs .So many shows were filmed professionally from this tour also Milan and the 3D film and shows in Brazil and Argentina were broadcast live on T.V. in 2006 hard to pick a winner but the 3D film was epic it needs to be released on Blu ray as it would definitely be a big seller however 3d TV has suffered a massive decline in the last year or so but it could be also released in dual format.
  5. I was there for the first 3 of 4 shows.
  6. I think it's a great great set, the only major thing for me is the Pride/Streets transition which I think is generally accepted to be the worst, was slightly better on TJT30 but I love the Zoo TV encore and ending with 40 was a great addition for the tour
  7. I’ve always thought it was a great dvd, an Cat Dubh/Into The heart is reason alone to revisit this one time and again, not only a great performance but very touching when he brings the boy on stage. Zoo station as the encore opener followed by the Fly, I wouldn’t complain if they did that literally every single show, then there’s plenty on there from HTDAAB, including my joint favourite opener, keeping it very different from other dvd’s. I also love the performance of RTSS and to top it all of 40. No with Or Without You but I can find that on plenty other dvd releases. If I wanted to be critical I prefer the performance of Original of the species in Milan but I still really like the Chicago performance anyway.
  8. Great set diversity. I really like this DVD.
  9. Yeah, Into the Heart inspired me to pick up the guitar and figure the whole thing out today...rewound the DVD and played along with Edge a few times! Just a gorgeous, more mature performance of such an amazing song. That's one they could get away with playing more often and it would keep the crowd, I think. An Cat Dubh is so mysterious and intriguing, and Into the Heart is just magnetizing.