1. Originally posted by ThomDorke:Is it just me or does the performance of Red Flag Day on the download sound different than the actual performance from Cologne? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like there are things missing in the actual performance, such as Bono saying the name of the song to the crowd in the intro that is present in the recording only. Also it sounds like his voice is noticably worse towards the end of the actual performance versus the recording, probably having to do with getting used to his voice again after the incident in Berlin 2. Perhaps they dubbed in vocals from another show for certain parts? Seems a little misleading if that is the case.
    It looks like the bit he introduces the song is actually from the gig the following night so maybe they’ve got the date wrong and it’s from that show or maybe it’s a mix from the 2. Listening further to the mix from night 2 the ends definitely different so they have probably used just bits from that performance. They did something similar with the little things, Bono introducing the song was different from what he said in Rome, doesn’t really bother me.
  2. Updated synched audio:

3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It looks like the bit he introduces the song is actually from the gig the following night so maybe they’ve got the date wrong and it’s from that show or maybe it’s a mix from the 2. Listening further to the mix from night 2 the ends definitely different so they have probably used just bits from that performance. They did something similar with the little things, Bono introducing the song was different from what he said in Rome, doesn’t really bother me.
    Wouldn't be the first time audio is added, removed, or polished up..the instruments are also edited as well
  4. Ugh. It's all fake, same like Little Things. Great performance but every time I listen I'm like yeah.. this isn't real.
  5. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    Ugh. It's all fake, same like Little Things. Great performance but every time I listen I'm like yeah.. this isn't real.
    Sad but true. To me it looks like they haven't got the drive anymore to know how to play their own songs. Like ASOH, RHMT, OTH where a bad joke during the JT Tour like also Dirty Day and the SOI songs during the E&I Tour.
  6. I don’t mind editing as long as it’s done well and the song doesn’t sound patched together and generally it is done well. Mercy from wide awake in Europe is probably the only version that I can’t listen to because it’s so blatant at the ‘time in a bed of rust’ and ‘rhyme for love and lust’ bits of the chorus. It would annoy me more if they kept mistakes in, when you’re there in person a mistake can happen and be over with in less than a second and it’s not a big deal but if you’re listening to that on multiple occasions on download or cd it starts to get really annoying.
  7. I take the opposite perspective and prefer the mistakes to be retained because it keeps the performance authentic. There's nothing worse than a "live" track that sounds no different to the studio track, or has been spliced together from multiple sources or doesn't sound like you heard it.

Sadly, this level of vanity is nothing new. Their first official live release was portrayed as being from Red Rocks but most of it was sourced from elsewhere.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:I don’t mind editing as long as it’s done well and the song doesn’t sound patched together and generally it is done well. Mercy from wide awake in Europe is probably the only version that I can’t listen to because it’s so blatant at the ‘time in a bed of rust’ and ‘rhyme for love and lust’ bits of the chorus. It would annoy me more if they kept mistakes in, when you’re there in person a mistake can happen and be over with in less than a second and it’s not a big deal but if you’re listening to that on multiple occasions on download or cd it starts to get really annoying.
    I gotta agree with this take. Nothing worse than hearing a "screw up" over and over again. For the most part, U2 does a nice job cleaning up errors and the new "mixes" flow quite nicely.
  9. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    Ugh. It's all fake, same like Little Things. Great performance but every time I listen I'm like yeah.. this isn't real.
    Reminds me of the 360 Rose Bowl recording...No Line has a changed intro by Bono. Magnificent also had Adam's screwed up chorus all cleaned up as well... They want perfection, not the raw recording with errors, etc
  10. If they wanted perfection Bono would have to re-record almost all vocals because he messes them up quite frequently . I don't mind them polishing some raw edges and including small bits from other performances. I think most of the dvds still include some mess-pups (Edge during Elevation at the Rose Bowl dvd) and it's logical that they want the songs to sound good. Concerning Mercy, I think that one was not edited at all?
  11. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:If they wanted perfection Bono would have to re-record almost all vocals because he messes them up quite frequently . I don't mind them polishing some raw edges and including small bits from other performances. I think most of the dvds still include some mess-pups (Edge during Elevation at the Rose Bowl dvd) and it's logical that they want the songs to sound good. Concerning Mercy, I think that one was not edited at all?
    Mercy was edited listen to the show they played it at (Brussels 22/09/10)which I attended he didn’t sing they lyrics. Even the editing’s terrible it sounds very clearly patched in but apart from that they usually do a good job.
  12. I remember years ago reading an interview with the engineer who worked on the Led Zep live dvd boxset. As well as working next to Jimmy Page, going through hours and hours of archive footage. He mentioned about how they would take, say the bass line from the 3rd chorus and use it for all the other choruses on the same song. Just because he thought it was played better. It's been going on for years. Pro Tools is such an amazing software for such jobs. The engineer was a massive Led Zep fan and said he was in heaven for working on that particular project. He'd agreed to do it before his fee was mentioned. He would've done it for free. I did think imagine being asked to work with, say The Edge on a similar project for a U2 boxset.