1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Mercy was edited listen to the show they played it at (Brussels 22/09/10)which I attended he didn’t sing they lyrics. Even the editing’s terrible it sounds very clearly patched in but apart from that they usually do a good job.
    I was there as well! I'll give it a listen then.
  2. For reference around 1.34 here for the first chorus bit that’s edited

And just over 1.30 here is what he really sang.
  3. I can see both sides here -- I definitely would prefer if the songs were unedited, warts and all. I can definitely imagine being a bit disappointed if a song I saw in person was tweaked to be different from what I saw (on that note, I'll need to check the officially-released With or Without from Boston 2017 to the bootleg version to see if it's been changed). On the other hand, I can get the wanting to put out the best possible version of a song - I think in almost all cases it's probably pretty minor tweaks, dubbing in a stronger line when Bono's voice wavers, using a different intro to make it less city-specific or something, but for the most part these are the actual performances, just dressed up a bit.

I think this gets a deeper problem - U2 does not put out anywhere near enough live material for a band so widely regarded as fundamentally live. So, when they do, they want it to be perfect and polished because they have this reputation as THE live band... But perhaps they don't release more official live material specifically because they're such notorious perfectionists and they'd simply be hearing nothing but flubs and errors and coulda-been-betters with anything they want to get out there? I suspect it may be something they'll gradually get over as they get older and slow down/stop touring and doing new stuff.
  4. Surprised they didn't edit out Bono saying Spemons instead of Demons on U22 at 3:40
  5. Well, on Vertigo Milan (U218) you can hear Edge sing the wrong line as well. I believe it’s somewhere in the second verse. When Bono starts with 'I have run I have crawled’ you hear Edge starting with ‘I have scaled..’
  6. I think there’s certain mistakes that they probably feel are acceptable. With the upcoming Berlin dvd for example I would expect them to edit the Fly where Bono came in late on the chorus and GOOYOW where he missed the opening line, they are pretty major errors and more than just a flubbed word or 2 but there will be other examples in the show that aren’t absolutely perfect but don’t take away from the performance either that probably will be kept in.
  7. Spemons is local Chicagoland slang for a drink after midnight.

"Do you want to get some Spemons after da Bears game?"

"Sure, after this cheeseborger"
  8. No mistake will ever top Edge coming in late for Hawkmoon 269's second chorus I wonder if they intentionally kept that in as an inside joke (given the amount of mixing work they had to put into that song).
  9. Hoping they announce shipping dates this week
  10. Hope...It's a name for a girl
    It's also a thought that, changed the world
    And when she walks on the street
    You can hear the strings
    Hope finds goodness in everything