1. So, I think this came up vaguely in a topic ages ago, but I don't remember the discussion particularly well.

I posted in general chat originally, but thought it would warrant it's own discussion so have started this. Here's what I posted:-

Originally posted by djrlewis[..] - how long has Bono been using teleprompter/autocue??

I was watching the BA Vertigo DVD last night and it's clearly visible. At first I thought it was just for his speeches and the Argentinian he attempts, but then noticed it scrolling lyrics during One. WOWY and OOTS at the very least. Also noticed him looking at it quite a lot.

I understand it's better than forgetting lyrics but he never used to use one that I can see (Paris DVD for example) and doesn't it cut down on improvisation and 'feel' in the song (esp songs like WOWY - I compared the performance with Paris immediately after and the difference was staggering!!).

Any comments for me on this one?

So; are there any comments!?
  2. Bono looked physically and mentally exhausted during that BA show. He was completely burnt out. Perhaps that was something to di with it perhaps? He shouldn't really need it for WOWY though should he? Saying that, listen to Croke 3 . . .
  3. Originally posted by germcevoyBono looked physically and mentally exhausted during that BA show. He was completely burnt out. Perhaps that was something to di with it perhaps? He shouldn't really need it for WOWY though should he? Saying that, listen to Croke 3 . . .

He did look below par. Voice struggled too.
    I wouldn't have thought he'd need it for One either but he looked at it at least 5 times.

Have you seen it in any other show? I'm guessing if they are there during filmed shows they get edited out?
  4. Live 8 he used it for his speech before One in that American accent he seems to have developed........
  5. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]
    Have you seen it in any other show? I'm guessing if they are there during filmed shows they get edited out?

i'm gonna have to look at some DVD's later. Nothings springing to mind
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

He needs to spend less time fannying around with trying to cure all the worlds ills (which he can't anyway), and spend more time rehearsing his lyrics. Its a kinda kick in the teeth to watch him lumbering his way through the lyrics via a teleprompter on stage.

If he can't be arsed to go DEVOTE all his time on stage, then he should pack it all in.
  7. Originally posted by SIRBONO[..]
    Its a kinda kick in the teeth to watch him lumbering his way through the lyrics via a teleprompter on stage.

I did feel it decreased the genuine emotion I've always picked up on from him. It's only this show I've seen it though. Certainly none of the official releases have given me this feel....
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

Let's see then....
  9. Not recent but LikeASong pointed out a while back on Sydney '93 DVD...Macphisto reads his speech off a teleprompter.
  10. Originally posted by drewhigginsNot recent but LikeASong pointed out a while back on Sydney '93 DVD...Macphisto reads his speech off a teleprompter.

ZooTV was all scripted though. No secret there.
  11. Originally posted by drewhigginsNot recent but LikeASong pointed out a while back on Sydney '93 DVD...Macphisto reads his speech off a teleprompter.

It can clearly be seen in the Vertigo// Chicago DVD.

12. Originally posted by drewhigginsNot recent but LikeASong pointed out a while back on Sydney '93 DVD...Macphisto reads his speech off a teleprompter.

I've no problem with reading speeches off teleprompter. Especially when it's in a foreign language.

My concern (I feel I have no right to have a problem with it; if it's felt necessary) is that if he's reading lyrics of their too then he won't 'get into' it as much. Part of Bono's presence on stage has always been his connection with the audience. At the BA gig I was referring to thsi only happened on the B-stage where there is no prompter. On the main stage he seemed distant and isolated.