1. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

No way!? You're serious! That's really a guitar?

I'm not joking, AB was my first venture into U2-fandom, which means for YEARS, I've been putzing around going 'love love lovvvvve;

Like, we're sure about this?

Edit/Update: Cause see, I thought it like all tied the song together...it being at the beginning, it being sung before/during the third verse ("In my dreams I was drowning..."), and also at the end, during the "bullfight" part. I also thought it fit so well with the theme of the Jesus and Judas, because I thought it started out chanting "love love love," and clearly at the end of that intro, it drops off a little bit, almost like it's Judas terminating the "love" of Jesus.

Im not 100% sure but I cant think of anything else it could be. Before getting 100% into U2 (like now) I had no idea how they made strange sounds like this and Mysterious Ways riff.
  2. Originally posted by dieder:[..]

Im not 100% sure but I cant think of anything else it could be. Before getting 100% into U2 (like now) I had no idea how they made strange sounds like this and Mysterious Ways riff.

I'm now absolutely determined to get to the bottom of this. Not to prove either of us right or wrong, but because that's pretty much my favorite U2 song EVER if it came down to it, and I just simply need to know.

Just listened to the intro from the Go Home DVD (best version of that song, IMO), and it does sound like a guitar is scratching between some of the lines...hmmm...
  3. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

I'm now absolutely determined to get to the bottom of this. Not to prove either of us right or wrong, but because that's pretty much my favorite U2 song EVER if it came down to it, and I just simply need to know.

Just listened to the intro from the Go Home DVD (best version of that song, IMO), and it does sound like a guitar is scratching between some of the lines...hmmm...

beste version is wembley 2009 imo... just that major punch in riff the new version has. and live that sound is exactly the same as on the album, because they don't play it live.
  4. Originally posted by dieder:[..]

beste version is wembley 2009 imo... just that major punch in riff the new version has. and live that sound is exactly the same as on the album, because they don't play it live.

Right, I understand that, but the key gets changed around to suit the tuning of the song on that particular tour, and they played it higher up on the Elevation Tour, meaning the trebles in the sound (that would identify the scratches the best) are more audible.
  5. The Pop version, for sure, alot better.
  6. The Pop version, for sure, alot better.
  7. Going, going...

But not gone!

💣 💥
  8. Any musicians/drummers out there ever notice that the beat in the verses of Gone is literally 100% identical to the beat in the verses of Mysterious Ways? Even down to the side-on played cowbell. Also pretty much the same goes for The Fly and Ultraviolet. I'm sure there's more.

Lazy Larry!
  9. Originally posted by ric:Any musicians/drummers out there ever notice that the beat in the verses of Gone is literally 100% identical to the beat in the verses of Mysterious Ways? Even down to the side-on played cowbell. Also pretty much the same goes for The Fly and Ultraviolet. I'm sure there's more.

Lazy Larry!
    Haha that's fun, gonna check it out. Fly and UV both have the same pattern, but differently processed to my ears. For The Fly they boosted the snare en UV sounds like the drums are doubled and they left out the hi-hat.

Both songs came out of the original UV demo, which later became Lady With The Spinning Head. That has a slightly different pattern though. I'm pretty sure they used that (sampled) drum track on Mofo as well
  10. fuckin hell i go 3 posts up and it's 13 years ago

one of their finest tracks

pop version for me though remix ain't too bad either
  11. Weird one this for me,adore the live version but can't stand the studio recording,very often play the Boston one where Edge kicks off at the end.
  12. Album version isn't a favorite.. remix is.cool but live is the best for me.. my favorite live version is either the Boston one or 11/14/97 Miami...to my ears it sounds better than Mexico City, all the instruments are really clear