1. For me, POP is a great album and comes 3rd after AB and JT

Discotheque - Great song and fab video
    Do You Feel Loved - Bass line gets me going, shame was dropped from our early on
    Mofo - Introduction is mesmerising
    If God Will Send His Angels - Possibly one of the songs not to get justice played live, my fave song on album.
    Staring At The Sun - IMO would have been better acoustic
    Last Night on Earth - Fantastic song, you'll be singing "You've gotta give it away" for days the 1st time you've heard that!
    Gone - Better than the Mike Hedges version IMO
    Miami - I like this, captures your imagination, great to listen to on a hot day!
    The Playboy Mansion - Some say the weak song and maybe would have to agree!
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Second fave on album, love Bono whispering at the start!
    Please - Defo listen to this! Fantastic Song!
    Wake Up Dead Man - Great album finish!

In all a great album in my opinon!! A must have
  2. Originally posted by notcomingdown:Mofo has to come back. How can it go from regular show opener to discard so quickly. It has not been played live since Pop-Mart, and that is a crime.

I agree with you, but since PopMart is just 2 tours...Elevation was totally not Mofo-like and Vertigo was more a sort of flashback to the early days...It will come back someday, it's too cool to not play it...

On the other side: hearing a 50 year old Bono sing 'Mother suckin rock and roll' is not really a nice picture.
  3. Discotheque - Great song. Great video. I like...it was either the 12" the single mix a bit better than the album mix. The 'Best of Mix' is shite without the "Boom Cha's" and fab video

Do You Feel Loved - Bass line is great. I love the song but Bono 'dirtied' it up chanting "Get into the groove" (ala Madonna) during the opening bits of the few live airings - and that sort of soured it a bit.

Mofo - Album and studio version is fantastic. I DIDN'T like the Mofo remixes.

If God Will Send His Angels - Studio version was good. A different mix could have been better. Live it never reached it's atmospheric possibilities.

Staring At The Sun - Album version is fine but sounds more like a B-side, a great idea that never quite got off the ground. Live? It never quite panned out either.

Last Night on Earth - Great song. Would be great to hear it live again.

Gone - Great song. I don't think the Mike Hedges version is better or worse - it just 'is'.

Miami - Album version if fine. Like most U2 songs, it was that much better live. I know many hate the song in any form but I respectfully disagree with the "Miami" haters.

The Playboy Mansion - Another possibly great idea but it didn't quite make it,in my view.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Good song. Live it was good fun. The intro is a bit TOO whispered but still 'vibey' and cool.

Please - Single version sparkles a bit more than the album version. Great live song. And for the few that didn't quite get the meaning of the tune at first - Larry was sure you did (LIVE) when he kicked in the "Sunday Bloody Sunday" drum part.

Wake Up Dead Man Don't love it / Don't hate it. I know that this was one of the tunes that had many many arrangements, dating back to the Zooropa sessions. I'd like to hear a few of the other arrangements / versions of this.

T'is my own personal view on the songs. I think that it deserves being looked at again by all. I think that opening night in Vegas was a clusterfuck - I was there - it was - and that lead many in the press to pan the album and the tour. Look at the Mex City DVD - Popmart was a great show!
  4. Pop was good, too bad many of the songs were not fully realised due to lack of production time.
  5. I've listened to the whole album tonight, and I've realised one thing: it's the only full album I listen regullary to. From Joshua, Boy, War, Achtung, etc. I just pick up 3 or 4 different songs and just listen to them, but when I listen to any PoP track, I just have the need to play back from Discoteque and play the whole stuff. Weird but true.
  6. Even Miami?
    AB I can listen to the whole album, JT, R&H, Pop, AB, HTDAAB I can listen to most of.
  7. I wasn't a huge fan of the Best Of mixes, mainly because they were trying to improve on something that should not be touched. It proved that they thought the original product just wasn't good enough, and mixed them to something completely unrecognisable and overproduced. To put 'wasn't a huge fan' is too light. I thought they were utter pieces of overproduced and stylised bullcrap.

All the songs still have live potential in one way or another. It was like another Passengers - a very conceptual record, yet still one of U2's best records to date. Either you hate it as a whole or you love it as the unfinished product it is - you don't have that same sort of reaction with The Joshua Tree or War.

It does make me wonder: if they had released the songs from the sessions that they thought were better, would they still be playing the songs live, and not distance themselves away from it? Obviously they would have had to change some of the names (Nosejob?) but could they have been better songs? If they weren't rushed and mixing the songs at the eleventh hour, would it have been better?
  8. I really love the song Miami, and even more when played live, it is such a hell of a rocker and the most a funky dance tune you've ever heard in one song
  9. Originally posted by drewhiggins:I wasn't a huge fan of the Best Of mixes (...) To put 'wasn't a huge fan' is too light. I thought they were utter pieces of overproduced and stylised bullcrap.
    Well, no one can say you're not clear enough
  10. Originally posted by thefly07:[..]

have you heard the Explicit remix of Mofo? it's essentially the same as Phunk Force only with the expletive.....i don't care, it's so much cooler lol

I like that one a lot as well.
    My favorite has to tbe the Romin remix.

11. My own little POP re-work lol. The track listing is different too...

1) POP Muzik [1]
    2) Mofo [2]
    3) Discotheque *
    4) Do You Feel Loved
    5) If God Will Send His Angels
    6) Staring At The Sun [3]
    7) Last Night On Earth [3]
    8) Gone [3]
    9) Holy Joe [4]
    10) Miami
    11) Please [3]
    12) If You Wear That Velvet Dress
    13) Wake Up Dead Man

1 - Cut out at 5:41
    2 - Cut in at 0:00:27.6
    3 - "New" / "Mike Hedge's" / "Single" Mix
    4 - Garage Mix
    * - Rock 2000 Mix (Found on the Strawberry Fruitleg)
    Everything without a number I left alone, because it was fine the way it is.
  12. Originally posted by U2Nick:[image]

My own little POP re-work lol. The track listing is different too...

1) POP Muzik [1]
    2) Mofo [2]
    3) Discotheque
    4) Do You Feel Loved
    5) If God Will Send His Angels
    6) Staring At The Sun [3]
    7) Last Night On Earth [3]
    8) Gone [3]
    9) Holy Joe [4]
    10) Miami
    11) Please [3]
    12) If You Wear That Velvet Dress
    13) Wake Up Dead Man

1 - Cut out at 5:41
    2 - Cut in at 0:00:27.6
    3 - "New" / "Mike Hedge's" / "Single" Mix
    4 - Garage Mix

Everything without a number I left alone, because it was fine the way it is.

WOW. Looks awesome! I'm definitely going to try out that playlist. Which version of Pop Muzik did you use?