1. Originally posted by mattfromcanadaNot sure how to post a picture to add to my message, but I've been trying to figure out which guitar they gave me when I played 'Party Girl' in Dublin in 2005.....can someone assist me in uploading it, and then hopefully identify the guitar? Also, for any guitar players out there, are there any resources for effects and settings to play U2 songs? Ie, which delay should I use for Bad, distortion for UTTEOTW, all that stuff. I'm novice at best, but being a Mac guy I've got GarageBand at my disposal....which is a fantastic program, and has an immeasureable amount of guitar settings at my disposal. Thanks all!

mattfromcanada

Looks like Bono's Elvis Presley model Gibson Dove. He took two on the Vertigo Tour. You can find more about it here.
  2. Originally posted by AAV711[..]

Looks like Bono's Elvis Presley model Gibson Dove. He took two on the Vertigo Tour. You can find more about it here.

Yepper... the black guitar you are playing appears to be one of Bono's Gibson Elvis Presley Dove's. (He's a few of them) NICE guitars. Quality built with a 'quality' price - $3,160.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Elvis-Presley-Dove-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=517806

Gibson Elvis Presley Dove Acoustic Guitar Features:

Solid Sitka spruce top
    Solid curly maple back and sides
    Round profile curly maple neck
    Rosewood fretboard
    Split parallelogram mother-of-pearl fretboard inlays
    Rosewood bridge
    Checkerboard marquetry
    6-ply top binding
    4-ply back binding
    25-3/4" scale
    Nickel Grover tuners
    Gibson Elvis Presley Dove Acoustic Guitar Includes:

hardshell case
    Order today, this is definitely one you won't return to sender. (Cute tag line!)

3. Originally posted by mattfromcanadaNot sure how to post a picture to add to my message, but I've been trying to figure out which guitar they gave me when I played 'Party Girl' in Dublin in 2005.....can someone assist me in uploading it, and then hopefully identify the guitar? Also, for any guitar players out there, are there any resources for effects and settings to play U2 songs? Ie, which delay should I use for Bad, distortion for UTTEOTW, all that stuff. I'm novice at best, but being a Mac guy I've got GarageBand at my disposal....which is a fantastic program, and has an immeasureable amount of guitar settings at my disposal. Thanks all!

mattfromcanada

The U2 Recording Yahoo Group is full of fun and U2 information on how to play U2 songs and what gear Edge uses and also alternate more cost effective ways to get Edge-tones.
    Many a tribute Edge are on the list, including Chas from The Joshua Tree in LA and Mick from NY's The Unforgettable Fire.

Go here to join. U2_recording-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Once you're approved, and you will be, I own the group.... search the archive and you will find many answers to your questions. If you don't find the answer there, ask and others will help you along. Cheers!

One quick hint on Overdrive tone for UTEOTW, the Boss OD-2 does this tone quite well. And as Edge had one around the time, it probably was one of the things he used.
  4. Jeff, another couple of questions - do you know what guitars Edge used for God Part II and Instant Karma live?
  5. Originally posted by WojBhoyJeff, another couple of questions - do you know what guitars Edge used for God Part II and Instant Karma live?

From the footage I've seen... For "God Part II", The Edge used his yellow 1989 Fender Eric Clapton model Strat. Odd bird that Strat. Had a "Do The Right Thang" sticker on it. I think a Celtics sticker too.

- Sydney

- Rotterdam

For live Vertigo era performances of "Instant Karma, it was a 1966 Lake Placid Blue Telecaster. Edge had been using this guitar for Vertigo during promo shows and on the HTDAAB bonus DVD, if memory serves.

- Buffalo

- Buffalo, diff angle
  6. I remember reading somewhere on the site a while ago that there is a boot where Edge's guitar goes, during Streets (right before the "Love, love, love" part) I was just wondering which one it was. Thanks
  7. How many Clapton Strats did he have on the Lovetown Tour? They seem to have completely replace old blackie, as wel as some others.
  8. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01How many Clapton Strats did he have on the Lovetown Tour? They seem to have completely replace old blackie, as wel as some others.

First, why the Clapton's? Again, Edge was experimenting. One of the experiments lead to his using the Danvel/Nelson Strat during The Joshua Tree tour.

As for the Claptons... Edge had three distiguishible Clapton's on Love Town. Although there may have been a back-ups.

The charcoal Clapton that Rene' Castro painted with the skeleton and snake:

The yellow Clapton seen in the Love Town special and You Tube footage from Sydney 1989:

And the red Clapton Strat:
  9. If I recall right the Clapton sig had only been out a year or so at the time.
  10. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01If I recall right the Clapton sig had only been out a year or so at the time.

Yep. The Clapton model came out in 1988. Eric needed to retire his highly battered "Blackie" and Fender approached him about a signature model.

Battered Blackie:

Clapton Strats came in Olympic White, Torino Red, Candy Green. Black was not an original option. Only Clapton could get them in black. That changed around 1991-ish.

Edge's were more than likely proto-types as he had charcoal and yellow (red was a stock colour).

The 7-Up / Candy Green is HIDEOUS. I saw a used one at Guitar Center recently. SOunded great but the finish... ack~!
  11. Check out Adam playing some distorted bass goodness on a vintage 1960's era "burgundy mist" Fender Jazz Bass.

The Bassman Cometh - … and this time Adam’s in front of the camera. Another peak behind the scenes in Dublin where the band are making their new record. Looks like there could be some bass guitar involved.

http://www.u2.com/highlights/?hid=462
  12. Bit more on Adam and his Sherwood Green and Shoreline Gold 1960s Fender Jazz Bass guitars...

...someone recently thought that those finishes were custom. Nope, them'z was stock colours.

WHERE do these finishes come from? Oddly enough (or not so oddly), many of the finishes that were introduced in the 1960's were inspired by automakers.

Gibson's Les Paul Goldtop was probably the most radical finish of the late 1950's. Most guitars were natural wood or tobacco sunburst type finishes... some in basic black...

But the 1960's saw many of the guitar makers looking to the auto world for new finishes.

Where does SHERWOOD GREEN come from? Fender used it from 1960-1965. [Although, it's recently been seen on some new Strats.] So where did it orginate? It was originally a 1957 finish for Mercury cars.

Adam and his SHERWOOD GREEN Fender Jazz bass

And SHORELINE GOLD? Used in 1960-1965 Fender guitars and basses, it was originally a 1959 & 1960 Pontiac finish.

Adam and his SHORELINE GOLD Fender Jazz bass

Just some odd, fun and ultimately probably not so useful information... but hey... it's lunchtime at work and I was bored.

Cheers!