1. to the discussion from before: each to his own

concerning xbox 360 games.. only recently got one (for christmas) and am only owning assassin's creed and prince of persia so far (bought command & conquer red alert 3 for pc after all. and I suck at the game LOL). while those two have nice graphics, and especially pop got some nice little dialogue going on (for the german version, the dub voice of heath ledger for the prince is speaking sounds pretty good), but they're both kind of repetitive.

not saying they aren't good or not any fun, but some might feel bothered by that. it's always lots of climbing (in both games), but then again it's fun and nice to look at only thing really annoying me in pop is 1) navigation of the jumps etc are noticeably bad, especially compared to assassin's creed. 2) the prince can't die, elika (the woman/princess who he's helping) is always saving him once he jumps into a gap - that is, actually, a good thing, but not if you jump off a wall to the ground (2 metres or something) and she's still saving him and teleporting him to the platform you've been on last. kinda stupid
  2. Originally posted by drewhiggins:Excellent post. Yeah, movie tie-ins have convinced me (as have you) that they do suck badly. Strangehold wasn't a bad game, it was too short. Six levels??? WTF???

FPS aren't my favourite kind of game. I love action games and RPGs. And I did play GTA4 for a while and I really liked it, and Mercenaries was so much fun - I didn't want to give it back! I might just get it, Mercenaries and GTA4, because JB have a sale on - tomorrow morning likely. Now I'm remembering...Kane and Lynch royally sucked. I might check out a couple of those you've suggested on XBLA...was it Portal I read about in some magazine - PC User, was it? I think.

Another question I have for you...how do you get points for XBL? There's games I want to buy and other stuff, but I don't have enough credits or points, whatever it is.

Edit: And the new Xbox interface is horrible as well. It looks like Vista.

You can buy them from stores like EB, but I just buy them online either on PC or directly on my 360, using a credit card.

And if you like Resident Evil, you will definitely love Gears of War 2, I can guarantee it.
    I actually have the Japan-only RE5 demo myself, it was quite good, but I'm not a big fan of the 'tank' control scheme. Heres a torrent, if you want to check it out, you just burn it to CD or DVD. http://digiex.net/games-downloads/768-resident-evil-5-demo-download-xbox-360-a.html

But have you connected to Xbox Live yet? If you do you have access to hundreds of demos and XBLA trials to help you make up your mind.

And Fallout 3 is an excellent RPG, otherwise you can pick up Bioshock for cheap these days another excellent FPS/RPG hybrid. Another open world game you may like is Far Cry 2, but I think you can't go past GTA4, it really is a must have for the system and is really funny to boot.
  3. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]
    But have you connected to Xbox Live yet? If you do you have access to hundreds of demos and XBLA trials to help you make up your mind.

is it really for free? haven't checked it out yet, since my online connection is connected to my pc only.

4. Yes to play games online you need a gold account, which is $10 a month or $100 a year.
    But to download demos, trials and game videos and buy XBLA games is absolutely free (you have to pay for the games though, but you don't have to pay to be able to download games).

And if you have bought any 360 you automatically get a 1 month free trial of gold Xbox Live (which means you can play online). You just have to register a Xbox Live Account.

To connect is also quite easy, you just disconnect the ethernet cable connecting your PC to your modem/gateway and plug it into the 360's ethernet port, if you have a laptop with wifi you can use it to connect to Live as well (by sharing the connection with the 360), though this is a bit harder to set up, it's what I use.

5. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Yes to play games online you need a gold account, which is $10 a month or $100 a year.
    But to download demos, trials and game videos and buy XBLA games is absolutely free.

And if you have bought any 360 you automatically get a 1 month free trial of gold Xbox Live (which means you can play online). You just have to register a Xbox Live Account.

To connect is also quite easy, you just disconnect the ethernet cable connecting your PC to your modem/gateway and plug it into the 360's ethernet port, if you have a laptop with wifi you can use it to connect to Live as well (by sharing the connection with the 360), though this is a bit harder to set up it's what I use.

cool, thanks. will try that asap!
  6. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

You can buy them from stores like EB, but I just buy them online either on PC or directly on my 360, using a credit card.

And if you like Resident Evil, you will definitely love Gears of War 2, I can guarantee it.
    I actually have the Japan-only RE5 demo myself, it was quite good, but I'm not a big fan of the 'tank' control scheme. Heres a torrent, if you want to check it out, you just burn it to CD or DVD. http://digiex.net/games-downloads/768-resident-evil-5-demo-download-xbox-360-a.html

And Fallout 3 is an excellent RPG, otherwise you can pick up Bioshock for cheap these days another excellent FPS/RPG hybrid. Another open world game you may like is Far Cry 2, but I think you can't go past GTA4, it really is a must have for the system and is really funny to boot.

Yeah, I've connected to Live - if you wanna add me it's drewbee88, might check out some more Live tomorrow. Thanks for the link too. Oh yeah - FEAR was the first game I ever got and I really liked it, great for multiplayer. For me, I just go via ethernet and hook it through that way, which is easiest, without having to worry about unreliable wireless - it's bad enough as it is. No way I'm coughing up another day of work just to go wireless, but I do need some new games. Far Cry is a great game on PC but dead in the water on consoles.

I got some golf game from Live, which I liked and had four or five levels, so that's damned good value for money.

Originally posted by germcevoyWill Microsoft ever srop charging their customers for the priviledge of playing online? Sony manage just fine. Screw it, ill wait for the next xbox.

It becomes annoying. $120 for a wireless dongle, $100 for the privelege of playing online, $20 - $30 for game cards - that's a lot of money right there. Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
  7. Will Microsoft ever srop charging their customers for the priviledge of playing online? Sony manage just fine. Screw it, ill wait for the next xbox.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:Will Microsoft ever srop charging their customers for the priviledge of playing online? Sony manage just fine. Screw it, ill wait for the next xbox.

Yeah, but its not really that expensive, especially if you compare it to something like WoW.

And the online service is really good, better than my PS3's.

They charge because they host servers, while for PS3 it's up to the game publishers and players to host games, like with PC.

So it's usually a better experience on Live, i remember playing the Battlefield Bad Company demo (which is a great demo btw), and it was quite hard to get connected to games at times, you had to try quite a few times before you got into a match. And the downloads are faster as well.

I also play Tekken DR online, and it is just impossible to play, due to the lag and long waits between games, and the most annoying thing is when you win a match, only to have whoever is hosting the game (and who was formerly champion) kick you.

But I wouldn't mind if they stopped charging for it, perhaps they will, although probably not in the current economic climate.

PS: @ Drew, wow the, wireless dongle really is $120. I just use my wireless laptop to connect and it works fine, and new XBLA games are from $10 to $15 (though some older titles are as low as $5). Game cards cost more because you buy points not games.
  9. Ah, now I know why. Do they have Tekken on 360? Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....between that and GTA4...

Yeah, the wireless dongles (the MS ones) are about that price. I couldn't believe it. Those $5 games...are they really that price like in the store or on Live?
  10. Originally posted by drewhiggins:Ah, now I know why. Do they have Tekken on 360? Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....between that and GTA4...

Yeah, the wireless dongles (the MS ones) are about that price. I couldn't believe it. Those $5 games...are they really that price like in the store or on Live?

Yes it is, you can imagine how annoyed I was when they (the traitors ) announced Tekken 6 for 360 (my friend was very happy though). but its only coming out in late 2009.

Yup there are really $5 games like Playstation Platinum titles though for XBLA, called Arcarde Hits or something. Theres a list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games
    400 points was around $5 bucks the last time I checked, and 1200 points was $16.50

but remember you can dl free trials for all Arcade games, so try before you buy, or just try everything like I do.

Theres also some free games like Dash of Destruction (which is 'advertainment' for Doritos). Also you should have some full XBLA titles and game demos preloaded onto your 360's HDD have you checked?
  11. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Yes it is, you can imagine how annoyed I was when they (the traitors ) announced Tekken 6 for 360 (my friend was very happy though). but its only coming out in late 2009.

Yup there are really $5 games like Playstation Platinum titles though for XBLA, called Arcarde Hits or something. Theres a list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games
    400 points was around $5 bucks the last time I checked, and 1200 points was $16.50

but remember you can dl free trials for all Arcade games, so try before you buy, or just try everything like I do.

Theres also some free games like Dash of Destruction (which is 'advertainment' for Doritos). Also you should have some full XBLA titles and game demos preloaded onto your 360's HDD have you checked?

That's alright. I'll wait. Dash of Destruction looks like good fun. Yeah, I've seen the the games on the HDD, some are good, some not. Metal Slug is in the list!!!!!!
  12. I understand the argument for Live being better than PS3 but how much better can it be. I've never ever once got kicked out of a game, or never found a host. Sure you occasionally might get lag but sure. I can also download trailers and demos etc. Then you have to pay more for the wireless dongle etc and thats all on top of actually buying the game you plan on playing.

And standard batteries in the controllers wouldn't be a big us point for me. Ill wait for the net txbox before buying. PS3 has all my bases covered for the time being.