1. Yes, of course The Beatles were the pioneers with Sargent Pepper, but when Radiohead released Kid A I remember how much division it caused. That album made me a fan of the band; my brother hated it at first due to lack of guitar, I loved the electronic direction which they have incorporated ever since.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Absolutely. Plus the excellent lyric variations in the F-verse:

"When I was all fucked up and I heard opera in my head,
    Your love was like a symphony flying over my bed"

"When I was all messed up and I had opera in my head,
    Your love was just a lightbulb that flew over my bed"

"I was all fucked-UP!, and I heard opera in my bed,
    Your love was like a lifeboat you threw over my head"

(I might have made up the third one but I'd swear there is one May or June 92 show where he says lifeboat, which is brilliant. Otherwise I'll take the credit lol).
    I think it's true
  3. No it wasn't It was legitimate.

Radiohead weren't nearly as huge as U2 when OK Computer or Kid A were released. By the time the Rattle & Hum era ended U2 had released two #1 albums (four if we talk about UK) and scored around eight #1 singles... Not comparable imho.

I obviously had thought of The Beatles but their evolution was much more gradual than U2's though. There wasn't an album where you said "ok, this is old Beatles, this is new, groundbreaking Beatles". One could argue Revolver was that album but it still featured much of the "old Beatles" sound and aesthetics, so no.
  4. Weeeelll....Radiohead were pretty big upon Kid A’s release (still probably not as big as U2 at the time, granted) but I was thinking either In Rainbows or A Moon Shaped Pool when making my comparison since OKC and Kid A were only albums #3 and #4, respectively.
  5. How about REM?
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    (I might have made up the third one but I'd swear there is one May or June 92 show where he says lifeboat, which is brilliant. Otherwise I'll take the credit lol).

How long till a 'Mystery Ultraviolet' thread pops up?
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    No it wasn't It was legitimate.

Radiohead weren't nearly as huge as U2 when OK Computer or Kid A were released. By the time the Rattle & Hum era ended U2 had released two #1 albums (four if we talk about UK) and scored around eight #1 singles... Not comparable imho.

I obviously had thought of The Beatles but their evolution was much more gradual than U2's though. There wasn't an album where you said "ok, this is old Beatles, this is new, groundbreaking Beatles". One could argue Revolver was that album but it still featured much of the "old Beatles" sound and aesthetics, so no.
    I mean, I would argue that Tomorrow Never Knows is the only thing SERIOUSLY pushing an envelope on Revolver, and that Sgt. Peppers pretty clearly defines "old/new" Beatles sounds.

I don't think Radiohead going from OK Computer to Kid A is as big of a jump in change-of-style, although I will probably give them more credit than you have in terms of where Radiohead sat in the music scene in 1997-1999. In a large way, Kid A is extremely representative of a literal era of time in the world, whereas I think Achtung Baby is "just" a creative twist that, 30 years later, still sounds like a tour de force.

The difficult part of this is obviously "as big as U2"...when you expand the playing field, there are a ton of great examples.

Beck is perhaps as important of an artist in indie circles as U2 are in....whatever their genre is, big-dinosaurish-arena-rock? Anyway, Beck's first two records had SMASH singles on them. "Loser" and "Where Its At," not to mention "Devil's Haircut" were HUGE songs for him and he very clearly established a sound people LOVED with those albums. Mutations and Midnite Vultures followed (I believe within a year of each other) and people all of a sudden realized they'd just never knew what they'd get with Beck; both were departures (Mutations moreso than MV) and both were critically acclaimed.
  8. Almost afraid to type it...

But don’t underestimate what Taylor Swift has done. Country to pure pop to alternative. #1 albums, Grammys and begrudging respect from almost all music critic corners somewhere along the way.

She doesn’t approach AB greatness in my view, but her success in genre shifts and overall output is pretty incredible love her or hate her.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    They didn’t actually play like on the album until E&I, but I’m assuming for zoo tv they just thought it worked live to come in when they did .

can you detail how EI was first time like the album? (honest question)
  10. I don't disrespect Swift as much as plenty of others, and I don't disrespect your opinion either, but Taylor Swift made pop-country music and, slowly, over the course of many albums, filtered the country sounds out and kept distilling her pop sensibility.

I would call what she's done less like releasing Achtung Baby after JT, but rather honing her career to release her eventual "Joshua Tree" (probably Red) and then continued to make equal-or-better albums that showcased her craft. There was hardly a jump in style.
  11. -The entire sample from the intro is played without Larry cutting it off, like he did on ZooTV and PopMart (the "early" entrance as some have called it above where he clicks in while the sample is still playing)

-The drum part itself (Larry plays the exact toms, etc. from the recording, as opposed to a full drum beat, like on Elevation, Vertigo, and 360)

-The first time we hear Edge is the actual riff of the song, not with him playing that one-note intro over Larry's beat, like he has on - I believe - every tour prior to IE
  12. Solo acts have it easier than bands.
    Also i dont think none of them save for MJ, Madonna, Beyonce and possibly Adele are nearly as popular as U2 at their peak.

And much credit to Radiohead, nowhere near as huge as Beatles or U2 were at their peak.

Also, the only thing that remotely sounds like previous Beatles on Revolver is Yellow submarine. T