1. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    -The entire sample from the intro is played without Larry cutting it off, like he did on ZooTV and PopMart (the "early" entrance as some have called it above where he clicks in while the sample is still playing)

-The drum part itself (Larry plays the exact toms, etc. from the recording, as opposed to a full drum beat, like on Elevation, Vertigo, and 360)

-The first time we hear Edge is the actual riff of the song, not with him playing that one-note intro over Larry's beat, like he has on - I believe - every tour prior to IE
    Explained it better than I could thank you.
  2. Originally posted by EridescoFly:[..]
    Yes, of course The Beatles were the pioneers with Sargent Pepper, but when Radiohead released Kid A I remember how much division it caused. That album made me a fan of the band; my brother hated it at first due to lack of guitar, I loved the electronic direction which they have incorporated ever since.

I am with your brother in respect to Kid A.... lack of guitar is the main reason of my disliking of Radiohead or any other band claiming themselves to be a rock band.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:I’m with miryclay, think the 360 versions are better but still nothing wrong with the zoo tv version just different levels of great.

100% this.
  4. Originally posted by TRISTAN:[..]

I am with your brother in respect to Kid A.... lack of guitar is the main reason of my disliking of Radiohead or any other band claiming themselves to be a rock band.
    I don't think Radiohead regard themselves as that anymore, Thom Yorke himself has said how he hates that whole mythology. The irony was a lot of sounds on that album were actually guitars even if they sounded like ambient noise. But each to their own, I also remember some of the complaints of Achtung Baby sounding too 'produced' and some not liking the distortion in vocals etc. It'll always be subjective.
  5. Originally posted by muzika:Solo acts have it easier than bands.
    Also, the only thing that remotely sounds like previous Beatles on Revolver is Yellow submarine. T

what?
  6. You could argue a lot of the sounds on Achtung Baby were down to Eno and Lanois they were the masterminds behind a lot of U2's best albums as we all know, It's the same with The Beatles George Martin was responsible for a lot of the orchestral arrangements and sonic breakthroughs that they are so famous for yes the band had input and ideas but you need a musical genius to help implement those ideas which goes for a lot of successful bands who can afford to bring in the best producers.
  7. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    -The entire sample from the intro is played without Larry cutting it off, like he did on ZooTV and PopMart (the "early" entrance as some have called it above where he clicks in while the sample is still playing)

-The drum part itself (Larry plays the exact toms, etc. from the recording, as opposed to a full drum beat, like on Elevation, Vertigo, and 360)

-The first time we hear Edge is the actual riff of the song, not with him playing that one-note intro over Larry's beat, like he has on - I believe - every tour prior to IE

Thanks for this break-down. I went back to compare each tour version, and what was throwing me off was that for E+I i was using LA2 - which oddly doesn't use the toms and reverts back to their normal way of playing it live. But then I checked out some other 2018 performance and see what you mean. Odd that LA2 they went back... I wonder if it was more or less a mistake and Larry forgot and just jumped in??
  8. Originally posted by marik:[..]

Thanks for this break-down. I went back to compare each tour version, and what was throwing me off was that for E+I i was using LA2 - which oddly doesn't use the toms and reverts back to their normal way of playing it live. But then I checked out some other 2018 performance and see what you mean. Odd that LA2 they went back... I wonder if it was more or less a mistake and Larry forgot and just jumped in??
    I'm gonna have to go check that out! I would bet you that is what happened. For some reason I think Larry was more off his game than usual on the IE/EI tours...he was ALWAYS starting Vertigo or Out of Control wrong. It became a game to listen for it during every setlist party.
  9. Originally posted by marik:[..]

I don’t think they’d started playing it that way yet, it wasn’t played like the album until maybe midway through the first leg of E&I. In fact it was just after the L.A. Shows when they started it, in Omaha. In fact just checked again they did it in St Louis as well but in Tulsa it was the early kick in and after St Louis they kicked in early up until Omaha, so they must have been trying things out.

Makes sense now, Raised By Wolves wasn’t played in St Louis and was dropped from Omaha onwards. They played Until the end of the world after Sunday Bloody Sunday. Larry was standing in the middle of the catwalk during Sunday Bloody Sunday so I’m guessing the drum intro (with toms is it?) was pre recorded to give him time to get to his drum kit for when it really kicks in.
  10. What I recall seeing it in Nashville and New York 1 was immediately after the explosion, he played the SBS drum beat again as he walked back to the drum set on the main stage while the Justice for the Forgotten video was sped up leading into UTEOTW.

11. I agree with you Rummy and have been meaning to plot the respective album timelines for R.E.M vs U2 because there was a similar evolution in their albums and then a dramatic left turn in 1994 with the release of Monster. The sound of that album is so different from anything else they did before; winning new fans and losing others with their fuzzy, noisy and highly personal songs.
  12. I guess the issue with Monster is that it isn’t that highly regarded nowadays.