1. I put some bootlegs in my USB drive for the car radio every now and then, and Foxboro came up. I always have it in random, but when So Cruel I actually put it in normal order and listened to the rest of the bootleg because... they were SO GODDAMN GOOD back in 1992.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I put some bootlegs in my USB drive for the car radio every now and then, and Foxboro came up. I always have it in random, but when So Cruel I actually put it in normal order and listened to the rest of the bootleg because... they were SO GODDAMN GOOD back in 1992.
    Not that long ago I saw a really popular Canadian band live for the umpteenth time (Arkells - you should check em' out below) - and they have SUCH a command of an audience, such a presence in a huge building - it feels like you're at a big party, you're in a movie, you're their friend, you're at an event - all of it. At that recent show, for a moment I thought "this must've been what it was like to see U2 in their hay day".

One of their bigger songs (I was actually at this show - it was fucking unbelievable)

Might be time I made a thread here for these guys...they're so damn good. I'm sure other Canadian peeps around here can attest to it!
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Not that long ago I saw a really popular Canadian band live for the umpteenth time (Arkells - you should check em' out below) - and they have SUCH a command of an audience, such a presence in a huge building - it feels like you're at a big party, you're in a movie, you're their friend, you're at an event - all of it. At that recent show, for a moment I thought "this must've been what it was like to see U2 in their hay day".

One of their bigger songs (I was actually at this show - it was fucking unbelievable)

Might be time I made a thread here for these guys...they're so damn good. I'm sure other Canadian peeps around here can attest to it!

No, because U2 were good.

These seem like a boy band
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

[YouTube Video]

[YouTube Video]

I'm a Hamiltonian so I know of them. I haven't seen them live.
  5. Don't take offence but that's what I think - they sound just meh.

If you go to ANY gig they're usually full of people who want to be there so the fans are going to be up for it and it'll be a great atmosphere and they'll shout and sing and have a great time - but does this mean that an amazing crowd at a Taylor Swift or One Direction concert makes that artist any good? Popular maybe but not good.

My girl took me to a Bon Jovi concert and it was crazy - the crowd were amazing and the atmosphere was electric - and fair enough the band played really well but do I think they're any good? No.

But these guys ain't in U2's league in their heyday - that's a fact baby
  6. Bon Jovi (...) band played really well

Did you hear Bon Jovi's vocal? I'd say it's pretty far from "really well"
  7. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:Don't take offence but that's what I think - they sound just meh.

If you go to ANY gig they're usually full of people who want to be there so the fans are going to be up for it and it'll be a great atmosphere and they'll shout and sing and have a great time - but does this mean that an amazing crowd at a Taylor Swift or One Direction concert makes that artist any good? Popular maybe but not good.

My girl took me to a Bon Jovi concert and it was crazy - the crowd were amazing and the atmosphere was electric - and fair enough the band played really well but do I think they're any good? No.

But these guys ain't in U2's league in their heyday - that's a fact baby
    I didn't even mention the audience, only that the band had such a great stage presence and command of the audience - and I've been to many shows of many different artists, thanks - and not a lot of them have what these guys do (which is what made me think that thought). If you asked any Canadian who's seen these guys play, they'd say the same thing - there's just something special about their shows.

I wasn't trying to compare the quality of Arkells' music to U2's, just that stage presence - relax.
  8. WTF are you talking about?

I didn't know them until 4 minutes ago, and really, WTF are you on? I guess you're judging them based solely on their look (and still they don't look like a boy band at all but anyway), but you didn't LISTEN to them did you? It's modern pop-rock with some hints of hard rock, americana or even motown (listen to the second example because the first is a bit misleading, more soft/accessible sounding)

@Alex, even if we're extremely off topic by now, thanks for introducing them over here. I like them quite a lot, specially that second tune (Knocking At The Door). I can hear some The Band in there, as well as some classic Motown nuances, some Elvis Costello and even more modern influences like Modest Mouse and Arcade Fire? They sound really really good. I'll be digging in a bit more
  9. I was wondering why So Cruel had become such a popular thread all of a sudden...