1. Went back and listened to it after reading this thread. A forgotten gem! I think the song would work great just before Bad if ever done live.
  2. its one I have always liked, I have a strong preference for soundscaped experiments ....
    and improvised lyrics can be very strong ....

in the book that comes with the deluxe remaster it says in the part by niall stokes : Quote:
    "it is a highly personal impressionistic love song, located in bray, inspired by the love of the singers life, Ali, gravitating to the martello tower, where he and she were living at the time. "turn me around tonight" he pleads "up trough a spiral staircase , to the higher ground"

ciaonow
  3. thats why UF is the best album to me as the level of JT and AB.
  4. there is avideo on you tube its on my faves look up luieu2 account on youtube :-)
  5. here the video this song is in my top ten faves.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]It's not that I dislike it, but it's kinda... unfinished and raw, isn't it? I like the general athmosphere but... Lacks something. Maybe it's that I haven't listened a lot to it

I love "Promenade". I think it works. I get that some don't. That's okay.

7. Agree, it's either something you get or you dont. I love how the song has the ability to almost transport you to some sleepy Irish seaside town
  8. when iwas 16 i didnt like this song Promenade now im 41 its in my top ten U2 songs the song just takes me somewhere.
  9. Originally posted by Luieu2:when iwas 16 i didnt like this song Promenade now im 41 its in my top ten U2 songs the song just takes me somewhere.

I could not agree more, funny what age does to your perspective. UF has always been my favorite album, the first one I ever purchased!
  10. Originally posted by Colin233:[..]

I could not agree more, funny what age does to your perspective. UF has always been my favorite album, the first one I ever purchased!

Funny, I thought it was the best ( certainly best executed) song on TUF, right from my first listen to the album.
  11. Now the band has been in Bray... Time to remember that Bono bought and owned the Martello Tower in the 80s and lived there with Ali, before moving to his current property in Killiney... And the Martello Tower was what inspired the song Promenade.

Turn me around tonight
    Up though spiral staircase
    To the higher ground

The tower had (has?) a beautiful spiral staircase, from the lower to the upper floor... Bono also got the tower a glass roof so he and Ali could look to the stars while lying there. Lovely amazing story, huh?

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WI®no=16301084

12. This statement changed radically when I first stood on an Irish cliff, staring at that dark sea, the wonderful shore, the spare houses surrounded by fields of green, blue and grey, with the grass-covered hills behind me... And Promenade on my ears. Then I realised what a beautiful, little song this is.