1. Anybody listen to them? They've become one of my most listened to artists over the past 5 months after my cousin showed them to me (who dabbles in making similarly-styled music if you want to check it out here).

An excerpt from Wikipedia:
    Explosions in the Sky is an American instrumental post-rock band from Texas. The band has garnered popularity beyond the post-rock scene for their cinematic, elaborately developed guitar work, narratively styled instrumentals, what they refer to as "cathartic mini-symphonies," and their enthusiastic and emotional live shows. They primarily play with three electric guitars and a drum kit, although band member Michael James will at times exchange his electric guitar for a bass guitar.

Although stuff from Explosions is definitely meant to be listened to as a whole album, here are a few samples to draw you in to probably the best band you'll discover in 2011.

"First Breath After Coma" (from their 2003 album "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place" )

"Greet Death" (from their 2001 album "Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever" )

"Welcome, Ghosts" (from their 2007 album "All Of A Sudden, I Miss Everyone" )
    (click here to watch this song performed live on Conan O'Brien)

Here's a 20 minute, 3 song set they played at some record shop somewhere.

Discuss, tell me that you love them as much as I do and that their material has changed your view of music as much as it has mine.

Explosions in the Sky:
    Official Website
    on Wikipedia
    on Facebook
    on last.fm
  2. With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept is amazingggg so beautiful, so haunting, so dark, such a journey. but ill admit thats the only thing ive really listened of them.
  3. Almost bought "The Earth Is Not..." on a whim earlier this year, decided not to. I'll preview it via YouTube and re-decide. Thanks for the reminder about them!
  4. Your Hand in Mine
  5. Are all their songs over 6 minutes long?

EDIT: And instrumental?

6. Of the four albums of theirs I have in my iTunes, 17 of 24 songs are over 6 minutes, so pretty much, yeah. And they are an entirely instrumental band, yes. After a while, you don't notice the lack of vocals or if you do notice, you just don't care because the music is so uplifting and moving and anthemic and epic and beautiful.
  7. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:Almost bought "The World Is Not..." on a whim earlier this year, decided not to. I'll preview it via YouTube and re-decide. Thanks for the reminder about them!

You should definitely reconsider, it's become my 5th most played album over only five months. One of the most relaxing things you can do is lay on your bed or couch or whatever with your eyes closed and listen to this album all the way through.
  8. I've liked all I've heard so far! They remind me to the long, conceptual songs/albums of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I like it. But, from a quick online overview, this lads haven't arrived to Spain in physical format, or are very rare... So I think I'll surf eBay in search of some of their albums. Which is the best to start from? Thanks
  9. I started with The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, and it's my favorite of the four I've listened to so far, with All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone a fairly close second.
  10. Four albums and only 24 songs? 6 songs an album?

11. Yeah. "How Strange, Innocence" has 7 tracks, "Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever" has 6, "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place" has 5 and "All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone" has 6. The average song length is about 7:49, so that explains it.
  12. I'm seeing them live next November the 4th. EXCITED. It's amazing, since I didn't know they were doing an European tour (which kicks off in Madrid by the way), I learnt it this evening when I went to collect some other tickets, and instantly decided and bought the tix. Exciting.

Oh, and I'm planning to tape the show, by the way. EITS being an instrumental band helps a lot to my intentions - I virtually can't keep my mouth shut when I attend shows where I know the lyrics ...