1. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I've always considered 'Trying to throw your arms' the weakest song on AB but that's like saying the person who runs last in the 100m finals at the Olympics can't run fast - dude, they're still the 8th fastest on the planet!. It is a good song, it just happens to be surrounded by 11 great and stellar songs.

For me, So Cruel has the best lyrics on the album and the best narration Bono's ever written. Some of those couplets are exquisitely beautiful and totally heart breaking; starting right from the opening lines:

We crossed the line; who pushed who over?
    It doesn't matter to you; it matters to me?

There are other songs, as a whole I would rank ahead, but from a purely lyrical perspective this song sits at the summit of his writing.
    Couldn't have put it any better. 120% agreed Mike.
  2. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:
    For me, So Cruel has the best lyrics on the album and the best narration Bono's ever written. Some of those couplets are exquisitely beautiful and totally heart breaking; starting right from the opening lines:

There are other songs, as a whole I would rank ahead, but from a purely lyrical perspective this song sits at the summit of his writing.

Totally agree. Every lyric is poetry.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah there’s no way they tracks mentioned would make my top 25. I can think of at least 2 songs from every album I like more. Even top 50 would be pushing it for mysterious ways which is my favourite of the 3.
    Fine, I'll start another Thread
  4. With the band playing Acrobat in 2018 and showing a lot of love to AB generally in their last tours, I still keep faith that they might play So Cruel on the next tour. With AB's 30th anniversary, there's an even better chance the band may consider revisiting songs like So Cruel, Love is blindness & TTTYAATW.
  5. And raw. I would have to say the rawest lyric IMO is Wake Up Dead Man

Jesus help me, I'm alone in this world, and a fucked up world it is too

I absolutely love the honesty. I've yelled at God many times in the same way.

Back to So Cruel though, the narrative is incredible. The back & forth of it, the contrasting emotions & states of mind. Is this a love song? A break-up song? Love vs Lust. There's so much packed in to it.
  6. Man, I gotta go home & listen to AB......
    The wife will enjoy the break from '40'
  7. Agree Matt, there are some equally and even more raw lyrics in other songs; with Wake Up Dead Man certainly one of those. But it's the multiplicity of them in So Cruel that astounds me and makes the song so incredible.

Another similarly desperate verse that challenges me at times is from The First Time where he talks of how God "Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming...But I left by the back door...And I threw away the key" If you share in his faith; that is an incredibly sad and confronting set of lyrics.

I guess that's why the 90's is seen as the pinnacle of their career. From AB, to Zooropa to Pop, the lyrics alone are at a level they haven't [yet] been able to replicate. I still hold out hope they can reach that level again..
  8. It’s been awhile since I actually thought about what a good lyricist he used to be. Man, he was fucking on point in the late 80’s and all of the 90’s.

Now we get crap like American Soul, Best thing to happen a boy, little old lady, etc.
  9. it's simple, when they stop being afraid they will do good things (they almost do it in NLOTH)
  10. Originally posted by podiumboy:It’s been awhile since I actually thought about what a good lyricist he used to be. Man, he was fucking on point in the late 80’s and all of the 90’s.

Now we get crap like American Soul, Best thing to happen a boy, little old lady, etc.
    do we have a "greatest / favorite lyrics thread" ?
  11. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I've always considered 'Trying to throw your arms' the weakest song on AB but that's like saying the person who runs last in the 100m finals at the Olympics can't run fast - dude, they're still the 8th fastest on the planet!. It is a good song, it just happens to be surrounded by 11 great and stellar songs.

written by a man who is happily married.. so many girls that should take notice of this song.. but we can't even blame them.. we (men) are just too stupid