1. Mos as a single. Sloww 7+ minute song. No thanks.
  2. They would have likely edited it down but still U2 could have released their best song in the last decade or so and it still wouldn’t be a hit anymore. Love is bigger, every Breaking wave and song for someone are all songs that would have charted well in the early-mid 00’s but the charts changed for the worse after that and rock music/bands in general don’t chart with singles any more.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:They would have likely edited it down but still U2 could have released their best song in the last decade or so and it still wouldn’t be a hit anymore. Love is bigger, every Breaking wave and song for someone are all songs that would have charted well in the early-mid 00’s but the charts changed for the worse after that and rock music/bands in general don’t chart with singles any more.
    Yep. They could release Vertigo, One or WOWY today and the world out there wouldn't give a shit about it.
  4. U2 could release an album as good as Achtung or TJT now and it wouldn't have half the creative or commercial impact that those albums had due to various factors however you could say the same about every other band that originated from the 70s to the 90s , however they still put out new music unlike a lot of other bands who solely trade on past glories.
  5. It’s crazy to think a song like All Because of You reached #4 in the uk charts, how times have changed. I don’t think you’d find many people that aren’t big U2 fans who even know the song and it isn’t a favourite amongst most U2 fans either.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:It’s crazy to think a song like All Because of You reached #4 in the uk charts, how times have changed. I don’t think you’d find many people that aren’t big U2 fans who even know the song and it isn’t a favourite amongst most U2 fans either.
    Haha ABOY reached #4? That's nuts. It wouldn't reach #104 if it was released today.
  7. Exactly, I really think the band might have had not just hits but #1’s with the songs I mentioned before love is bigger, song for someone and every Breaking wave any time up until about 2006 or 07. Window in the skies was also #4 in the uk, boots got to #12 and it was all pretty much downhill from there. I’ll go crazy did get to #32, still a top 40 so worth mentioning, magnificent just missed out at #42. Their U.S. chart success dipped a bit earlier really. Discotheque was their last top 10 in the states I believe. (For the billboard hot 100)
  8. And yet they will still desperately strive for relevance and bring in hot-shot producers looking for that elusive hit. I agree with @popmarter and still follow a diverse range of artists like Blondie, Simple Minds, Counting Crows and Garbage who continue to release new material and play shows but you’d never know it from the charts or radio. The world has moved on for them and U2 but then again so have I to a degree. None of the new artists I’m listening to (most of whom emerged in the last 10 years or so) are rating in the charts and I rarely listen to radio but that’s not to say they’re inferior artists. U2 putting out material that doesn’t set the charts on fire doesn’t mean it was bad or below their best. Hits songs like the Macarena, or Barbie Girl or Mambo #5 prove that popularity doesn’t correlate with quality.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:It’s crazy to think a song like All Because of You reached #4 in the uk charts, how times have changed. I don’t think you’d find many people that aren’t big U2 fans who even know the song and it isn’t a favourite amongst most U2 fans either.
    Besides all the arguments above: don't forget those were still the days of physical releases. ABOY had 3 formats. A lot of people bought all 3 of them, so that counted 3 times in the charts. COBL had 4 and Elevation had 5. So off course they were hits.
  10. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:[..]
    Besides all the arguments above: don't forget those were still the days of physical releases. ABOY had 3 formats. A lot of people bought all 3 of them, so that counted 3 times in the charts. COBL had 4 and Elevation had 5. So off course they were hits.
    Not only did people buy all three, but they weren’t released in North America, so they probably cleaned up on international sales as well from the UK. (I preordered from HMV, and all three would count as UK sales even though I’m in Canada…you don’t get that with digital.)
  11. Some good b sides as well on a few of they singles. COBL, All Because of you and Window in the skies in particular had some good stuff. Same for the ATYCLB singles and electrical storm as well.
  12. What was the last physical U2 single?