1. It’s true, U2 don’t really have a hit as big as Livin’ on a prayer, Don’t stop believing, etc. But the difference is you don’t see Journey still filling stadiums all over the world, or 25 show Vegas residencies at a 17,000 capacity arenas. It’s because the U2 Experience in itself means more to a lot of people than a couple mega hits on Spotify.
  2. I was wondering how popular U2 are nowadays. YouTube views don't necessarily say a lot, but I am quite surprised by the numbers on some recent videos: Bono's solo interview at Colbert just under 1 mil, Bono and Edge's latest Apple Las Vegas interview and NPR tiny desk concert close to 800k and 2.5 mil respectively. Their insta following keeps increasing at a slow rate and Spotify monthly listeners also seems to be on an upward trajectory. With the Las Vegas shows just a few months away, they'll probably get quite a lot of media coverage and headlines again. Media refer to them as one of the - or the - biggest / greatest bands in history, but is this how people in general think of them? I am just wondering what U2 are regarded as by non - U2 fans, how popular they are now and how popular they will be when they retire. I don't know what made me think of all that, but, yeah, feel free to share your thoughts on the matter.
  3. anyone cringed when saw new yellow/blue merch?
  4. I did not cringe. I think the shirts are a good idea. I wanted to support the Ukraine ambulances by buying a shirt but I just can't afford it. My budget is too tight right now.
  5. Originally posted by dagobah:[..]
    I did not cringe. I think the shirts are a good idea. I wanted to support the Ukraine ambulances by buying a shirt but I just can't afford it. My budget is too tight right now.
    Yeah partialy agree, but there arent ukraine ambulances drawn on shirts arn't they.
  6. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:I was wondering how popular U2 are nowadays. YouTube views don't necessarily say a lot, but I am quite surprised by the numbers on some recent videos: Bono's solo interview at Colbert just under 1 mil, Bono and Edge's latest Apple Las Vegas interview and NPR tiny desk concert close to 800k and 2.5 mil respectively. Their insta following keeps increasing at a slow rate and Spotify monthly listeners also seems to be on an upward trajectory. With the Las Vegas shows just a few months away, they'll probably get quite a lot of media coverage and headlines again. Media refer to them as one of the - or the - biggest / greatest bands in history, but is this how people in general think of them? I am just wondering what U2 are regarded as by non - U2 fans, how popular they are now and how popular they will be when they retire. I don't know what made me think of all that, but, yeah, feel free to share your thoughts on the matter.
    In the last 6 year there has been a concentrated campaign to focus on past glories (most other bands of their era are doing the same)JT tour,various re releases on Vinyl, SOS ,Letterman documentary ,Vegas residency,Sing 2 ,Remastering of their albums and videos for streaming sites all of which keeps people interested and entices new fans to check out their back catalogue. Its feels very much that the music industry has led them down this particular path of nostalgia as so many others are surfing that particular wave at present but hopefully it's something they move away from after the Vegas gigs.
  7. Maybe someone in this thread can help me out, I'm having a senior-moment this morning and am stumped.

Isn't there a story of Bono driving a random fan around in his car, playing them HTDAAB in full, prior to its release? I remember it being TOTALLY random, very unexpected, and that he played the music very loud.

Could have been NLOTH but I'm not certain. It's really hard to find through Google, for some reason. Probably because I have a key detail wrong or something.

Trying to relay the story and wanted to refamiliarize myself. Thanks!
  8. Originally posted by MattG:Maybe someone in this thread can help me out, I'm having a senior-moment this morning and am stumped.

Isn't there a story of Bono driving a random fan around in his car, playing them HTDAAB in full, prior to its release? I remember it being TOTALLY random, very unexpected, and that he played the music very loud.

Could have been NLOTH but I'm not certain. It's really hard to find through Google, for some reason. Probably because I have a key detail wrong or something.

Trying to relay the story and wanted to refamiliarize myself. Thanks!
    definately did happen. I would have said it was atyclb thou. or maybe Bomb.
  9. Originally posted by MattG:Isn't there a story of Bono driving a random fan around in his car, playing them HTDAAB in full, prior to its release? Could have been NLOTH but I'm not certain.

He was with me in my Toyota Tacoma [at the time, I lived at 634 Euclid Ave. Apt 106 in Miami Beach] . . . . . the album was Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1
    I love that album . . . . . well, most of it.
  10. It's really killing me, I've heard back from multiple people that they remember the gist of what I'm talking about but no one can track down the story / post / whatever
  11. Finally found it

12. ^ great read that (except maybe all the ipod apple shit) you got page 2?