1. Originally posted by Zoo_Station_DW:U2 haven't been on my stereo for a while๐Ÿ˜”
    I love the band, so many memories and feelings throughout my life are entwined with them but this is a low point.

Exactly, same here.

Sorry to see many of you share my worry and my sadness. I hope we can all get our passion back
  2. Been grieving Sinead. She was a great artist who rejected pop stardom (and torpedoed her pop career in the bravest way possible). U2 on the other hand (or Bono at least) craved pop stardom, wanting to be the biggest, etc.

They pulled it off for a long time, making artistically great music while being popular. But for the second 20 years they (and we) would have been better served had they dropped those ambitions and embraced Sinead's angry integrity.

But back to Sinead. God, listen to those early records! I've always thought Bono was the Irish singer of my generation, but Sinead! That powerful mixture of clarity, tenderness, fierceness, and control. A force. A beautiful, tortured soul. RIP.
  3. Originally posted by dstankie:Been grieving Sinead. She was a great artist who rejected pop stardom (and torpedoed her pop career in the bravest way possible). U2 on the other hand (or Bono at least) craved pop stardom, wanting to be the biggest, etc.

They pulled it off for a long time, making artistically great music while being popular. But for the second 20 years they (and we) would have been better served had they dropped those ambitions and embraced Sinead's angry integrity.

But back to Sinead. God, listen to those early records! I've always thought Bono was the Irish singer of my generation, but Sinead! That powerful mixture of clarity, tenderness, fierceness, and control. A force. A beautiful, tortured soul. RIP.
    Agree those early records were fantastic but she didn't want to play the game and solely be a singer and entertainer more of an outspoken maverick which sometimes overshadowed her music, I saw some more recent interviews with her and it was all about her conversation to the Muslim religion and her views on the Catholic Church and it's troubled past and only a brief mention of her latest album and musical career, but she definitely did court controversy with some of her antics off stage she may have believed it to be right but to a lot of people thought it was bizzare. RIP.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:I feel pretty much detached from most things U2 related at the moment, and it's been like this for a good bunch of months already. It has happened plenty of times in the past during periods of low U2 activity (most usually between tours), but I always had the comfort of looking forward to a new album.

But what lies ahead is even more of the same disillusionment that's brought me here: a residency (dislike) in Vegas (dislike) paying tribute to a classic album (dislike) without Larry (huge disappointment) and very little hope of a new album in the near future (despair).

It's pretty safe to say this is my all time lowest point as a U2 fan

You're not exactly alone. I listened to SOS for a week after the release and that was that. I finished Bono's book but I've not really listened to any U2 stuff since. I recognise your feelings towards Vegas. Luckily I still hugely enjoy their older stuff such as Slane but with regards to new music they're hopelessly behind artists like Blur, DM, Suede of which I'm enjoying their new stuff last year.

I know that if they'll release new stuff I'll probably be excited and I'll keep an eye on the coming tour but I've got the feeling that something just isn't right.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:I feel pretty much detached from most things U2 related at the moment, and it's been like this for a good bunch of months already. It has happened plenty of times in the past during periods of low U2 activity (most usually between tours), but I always had the comfort of looking forward to a new album.

But what lies ahead is even more of the same disillusionment that's brought me here: a residency (dislike) in Vegas (dislike) paying tribute to a classic album (dislike) without Larry (huge disappointment) and very little hope of a new album in the near future (despair).

It's pretty safe to say this is my all time lowest point as a U2 fan

just wait until they decide to remaster SOS - then you'll really be in an all-time low
  6. Originally posted by dstankie:Been grieving Sinead. She was a great artist who rejected pop stardom (and torpedoed her pop career in the bravest way possible). U2 on the other hand (or Bono at least) craved pop stardom, wanting to be the biggest, etc.

just watched the 'nothing compares' docu-film and it seems she both wanted the fame and hated it at the same time

her tortured upbringing definitely had an affect on her outlook as both a woman and a star

she had more balls than most men but couldn't escape that awful childhood

RIP
  7. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:[..]

You're not exactly alone. I listened to SOS for a week after the release and that was that. I finished Bono's book but I've not really listened to any U2 stuff since. I recognise your feelings towards Vegas. Luckily I still hugely enjoy their older stuff such as Slane but with regards to new music they're hopelessly behind artists like Blur, DM, Suede of which I'm enjoying their new stuff last year.

I know that if they'll release new stuff I'll probably be excited and I'll keep an eye on the coming tour but I've got the feeling that something just isn't right.
    I have still hope U2 come with something good. I'm not into DM, but don't forget Blur released crap like Think Tank and Suede released rubbish like A New Morning.
  8. U2 thoughts?

i'm not as scared of the end of the band as i once was
  9. Everyone has released crap. Look at Dylan's 80s junk like Down in the Groove & Knocked Out Loaded. But then everything since Time Out of Mind has been pretty great.

Still, there were some good tracks in there. Brownsville Girl. Silvio.

Are the latest U2 the best? Uneven, but still some good things in there.
  10. I'm exactly the same. I would go as far as say that I hope it happens sooner rather than later.
    My fear is that this path of rehashing old material and having a Vegas residency and touring without a member continues and taints their legacy.
    My hope is one final incredible album and tour and then out.
    Fucking love U2, but hate some recent decisions ๐Ÿ˜”
  11. I’m indifferent towards the band now. Sad.
  12. As per my general vibe of the last ten years, thank god O have Brussels 87 and Milan 92. My memories of the Surrender show will remain very very fondly held too. If that’s my last in person interaction with ‘U2’ then I’d settle for that.