1. Originally posted by deanallison:I would say some of the lyrics in the refugee are a lot worse than anything in stand up comedy particularly the way they are sung makes them sound even worse.
    both songs sound very much like what their title indicates they might sound like
  2. And Red Light (spells dangerrrrrr)

3. I think the early version of Best Thing with the smell of freshly painted doors is pretty bad. The finished version also. Anyway.

I will still stand in defence of Cedars. Better than anything on SOE.

I've said this before but they just chickened out by not committing to one idea on NLOTH. They planned the tour and were worried about not having any rockers.
  4. For how awful Best Thing is, I've always loved Edge's part:

I can see it all so clearly
    I can see what you can't see
    I can see you love her loudly
    When she needs you quietly

Shame its buried in such a bland tune. Begging for a soaring U2 ballad a'la Kite and instead it got this.
  5. This thread has taken an interesting and unpredictable turn, most of the... hmmm 20-30? latest posts could go right into the Unpopular U2 opinions topic easily lol
  6. NLOTH is U2 heading in a really cool direction and chickening out halfway.

SOI and SOE is U2 heading in a somewhat boring direction and going all-in.

Each has some great songs, each has some lame songs.

Ultimately, U2 hasn’t honed in on an interesting musical direction for a full album since Pop - but ATYCLB and HTDAAB at least had some serious bangers to make up for it.

All my opinion of course!

Missed you guys
  7. I love the first half of NLOTH, MOS being my favourite. Imo the second half, excluding Breathe and Cedars, doesn’t hold up for me. I still think Breathe should’ve opened the album and NLOTH was 100% better live than on the record. I think Boots is so out of place on that record.
  8. Originally posted by MattG:For how awful Best Thing is, I've always loved Edge's part:

I can see it all so clearly
    I can see what you can't see
    I can see you love her loudly
    When she needs you quietly

Shame its buried in such a bland tune. Begging for a soaring U2 ballad a'la Kite and instead it got this.
    The middle 8 into this bit is the best part of the song
  9. The whole thing is very Miracle Drug
  10. I was put off by a couple of singles that sounded like poor imitations of earlier songs.

GOYB is like the creepy drunk uncle at the family Christmas lunch. It's descended from and related to Desire, The Fly, Elevation and Vertigo in terms of pace and rocking; but everyone looks at it with disgust and wonders why the hell is it here.

Magnificent is just cookie-cutter U2. Take a slow building song that reaches a soaring crescendo using a catchy Edge riff or two and there you go, magic! Worked on Streets, AIWIY and COBL but this one was as exciting as hanging out the laundry (which is pretty much how they filmed the video from memory).
  11. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    They fucked up the entire project. Boots was just one little cog in the disaster machine. Shades of Popmart around the whole thing. They were making something truly interesting in Morocco then the bulls started arriving for a behemoth of a tour. They’ve scaled back on the interesting stuff and tried to make the album more accessible.

The first two legs of the tour would sell out on hype but to get the next legs sold (and with the delays) they started to drop the new stuff and the tour morphed into something different entirely to keep the tickets selling.

A true missed opportunity but the album they wanted to make was not inline with the tour they wanted but there was no stopping the 360 project once the wheels were in motion.

360 would easily continue to sell even without major setlist changes. But AB anniversary came along.

Maybe stuff like Stand up or Cedars or White as snow would have gotten a chance in normal circumstances. (Nothing against FEZ but no way to do it justice live)

But instead we got a mess of a setlist in 2010 and 2011 became Zootv 2.0.