1. Originally posted by muzika:[..]

360 would easily continue to sell even without major setlist changes. But AB anniversary came along.

Maybe stuff like Stand up or Cedars or White as snow would have gotten a chance in normal circumstances. (Nothing against FEZ but no way to do it justice live)

But instead we got a mess of a setlist in 2010 and 2011 became Zootv 2.0.
    I do totally agree with this. I felt they bottled the promotion of the album, used the claw to smooth over the disappointment of the album a little. Even though they started with four NLOTH songs to begin with, they start going in hiding with it. Disappointed me they never tried Fez live though, it was made for that stage. Then the sets became messier and messier, ending with an AB renaissance which everyone appreciated but in the grand scheme of things was just an easy way to satisfy participants to the tour end. Everybody had forgotten about NLOTH very quickly, they were smart about that one.
  2. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    I do totally agree with this. I felt they bottled the promotion of the album, used the claw to smooth over the disappointment of the album a little. Even though they started with four NLOTH songs to begin with, they start going in hiding with it. Disappointed me they never tried Fez live though, it was made for that stage. Then the sets became messier and messier, ending with an AB renaissance which everyone appreciated but in the grand scheme of things was just an easy way to satisfy participants to the tour end. Everybody had forgotten about NLOTH very quickly, they were smart about that one.
    Yes! And cutting Breathe from the official live release of the tour was the icing on the cake in that back-out.
  3. Yep, with the dodgiest jump-cut I've ever seen going straight into Boots.
  4. Dropping songs from the new album is a natural progression the tours have taken even since zoo tv. Albeit they usually end up with more than 3 songs in the set from the new album by the end of the tour but even if you look at the vertigo tour which was promoting a much more successful album there was a few shows near the end with quite little from HTDAAB. People will point to i&e/E&I as examples of them keeping songs in the set but even then the number dropped from opening night slightly and the tours were much shorter. I think with a combination of the postponement of the 3rd leg which became the 5th leg plus the eagerness to play some unreleased songs the NLOTH stuff was always going to be the first to go I don’t think it was that unusual. Not disagreeing that they did eventually show a bit of a lack of faith in the new stuff in favour of older material, I agree with a comment yesterday I think that the songs didn’t really fit the tour. The ones that did get the crowd going were probably the weakest of the new stuff they were playing live Boots and I’ll go crazy remix, both rotten imo but they stuck with them all tour.
  5. 11 years on and I still can't understand WTF they were thinking.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:Dropping songs from the new album is a natural progression the tours have taken even since zoo tv. Albeit they usually end up with more than 3 songs in the set from the new album by the end of the tour but even if you look at the vertigo tour which was promoting a much more successful album there was a few shows near the end with quite little from HTDAAB. People will point to i&e/E&I as examples of them keeping songs in the set but even then the number dropped from opening night slightly and the tours were much shorter. I think with a combination of the postponement of the 3rd leg which became the 5th leg plus the eagerness to play some unreleased songs the NLOTH stuff was always going to be the first to go I don’t think it was that unusual. Not disagreeing that they did eventually show a bit of a lack of faith in the new stuff in favour of older material, I agree with a comment yesterday I think that the songs didn’t really fit the tour. The ones that did get the crowd going were probably the weakest of the new stuff they were playing live Boots and I’ll go crazy remix, both rotten imo but they stuck with them all tour.
    ZooTV only had songs dropped because a new album arrived while the tour was still going. Popmart had very little songs dropped because they just simply didn't work. They were attempting songs from ATYCLB into the final leg of Elevation Tour. Vertigo Tour had the same effect as 360 Tour, as in legs got postponed so they were still technically promoting an album more than two years down the line. Yet with Vertigo Tour, even into the third leg they were still experimenting with other HTDAAB tracks. Maybe it's the difference between arenas and stadiums, I don't know. Yes, I suppose it's a "natural progression" of how the tour goes, but there's something about 360 Tour and the promotion of NLOTH that doesn't sit right with me and the band was maybe quite uncomfortable.

They were losing faith and commitment to NLOTH very early on. The title song was getting put down the order, they omitted Breathe from the DVD release, Unknown Caller began to drift away. But I suppose when you have a vast back-catalogue of music it's hard to fit everything in. I still think they weren't fully invested in promoting that album live and starting with four NLOTH songs was a huge mistake. Anyone can respond by saying "oh but they played eight AB songs at the start of ZooTV". Yeah, but they had confidence in that music. They wanted to promote the new music. 360 Tour felt like they wanted to promote the heritage act.
  7. Having a tour that isn’t named after anything remotely linked the the album helps. You weren’t going to see the promotion of NLOTH you were going to see the spectacle of 360.
  8. Blackberry got more promotion on that tour than NLOTH did. Incidentally, Blackberry is now as relevant as NLOTH.
  9. I spoke to hundreds of people while queuing for the opening night in Barcelona and many of them couldn't even name the album. It was already born irrelevant.
  10. I think what does separate NLOTH from other albums live which Kieran rightly touched upon is they didn’t try different songs from the album at different points of the tour. The 7 they played on opening night were the only 7 songs ever played from that album whereas with most of the other tours they maybe dropped a new song or 2 but they did try other ones out. There seemed to be a hint of them having plans to play white as snow from what was in the tour programme I’m sure.
  11. Yet Scarlet and Your Blue Room got turns. Scarlet was played more times than Breathe lol
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:I spoke to hundreds of people while queuing for the opening night in Barcelona and many of them couldn't even name the album. It was already born irrelevant.
    Sure a lot of casual U2 fans wouldn't know anything past Achtung baby same goes for a lot of bands of their vintage, AC⚡DC ,Depeche Mode,Def Leppard, The Cure etc they have their golden era where they released their big albums which a lot of fans know but try asking a casual fan what they released post 2000 and you will be met with silence.