1. i think the thematic (if not musical) consistency of SOI+SOE show in hindsight just how much of a directionless mess NLOTH was.

they tried for experimental and huge pop success at the same time and landed squarely in a middling no-man's land in between due to their bottling it half way through.

there's some great songs (MoS is their latter-day masterpiece, for example) and i have fond memories of following the tour religiously and seeing my first U2 show, but looking back it seems like it was another teething phase after settling into their 'godfathers of stadium rock' image following ATCYLB and Bomb.
  2. Originally posted by Anam:When you are young and discovering a group and their work for the first time, the way that music imprints on you is magical. I totally get why some people love this record, but I don't feel that way.

I wonder if there are any fans, for whom 1987-1993 were the magical years, that champion NLOTH?
    I started to be fan in 93/94 and NLOTH is in my top 5-6 (higher than JT)
  3. I am a U2 fan since 1984/85, NLOTH is not in my top 5 U2 albums, the 3 opening songs are very good, but but then collapses, Unkown Caller is boring, then 2 of the worst U2 songs ever, Stand up Comedy is ok. But then the last 4 songs are good to very good. the order of the songs is simply not correct. Somewhat mixed feelings about NLOTH.

4. This should have been the cover with the Linear tracklist. I don't know what it is, but the songs just sound so much better in this order. I love it.
  5. One thing in which they haven't topped (and probably will never top again) NLOTH is the design. NLOTH's booklet is a work of art on its own. The glossy pages, the transparencies, the reliefs and reflections, the coordinates, the different fonts, the minimalistic yet rich style overall. SOI and SOE have been very very poor in this respect, with lame cardboard boxes and plain, boring recycled paper-like booklets.
  6. Wasn't my favorite. As a whole, I rather like the flow of the album. But honestly I regularly perhaps to only a third of it; Mag, MoS, Stand Up, and Fez. If I'm in the right mood I'll let the last three songs run, but that's rare.
  7. It seems to me an incomplete album
    I don't listen to it very much but when i do i skip
    Favourites : Go crazy.unknown caller.moment of.fez\being born
    Vote : Didn't pass the test of time
  8. One of their worst albums ever, possibly the worst in fact
  9. It’s the most overblown mess of an album. Bono in full on mid life crisis mode.
  10. I dislike it enough that i want to revisit it.

NLOTH is still one of the best songs they’ve managed this millennium.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:One thing in which they haven't topped (and probably will never top again) NLOTH is the design. NLOTH's booklet is a work of art on its own. The glossy pages, the transparencies, the reliefs and reflections, the coordinates, the different fonts, the minimalistic yet rich style overall. SOI and SOE have been very very poor in this respect, with lame cardboard boxes and plain, boring recycled paper-like booklets.
    100% agree. My favourite album art. The box was superb. But yeah, a very uneven affair.
  12. To me Edge has done real good job on this album... Bono is the worst with his lyrics.. Get on your boots has very good guitar sound but lyrics omg and totally destroy the song