2011-06-24 - Glastonbury
Tour: Various Dates
Songs played: 20
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by LikeASong:Let's not forget that, while half of the Joshua Tree wasn't what we'd consider "hits", THE REST of the setlist was mostly a greatest hits compilation with a few obscure/unreleased songs scattered around every now and then. Starting with their 4 biggest hits of the pre-Joshua era (SBS > NYD > Bad > Pride) and then the encore consisting mostly of Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, One, ocasionally I Will Follow? It doesn't get much more mainstream/greatest hits/dad rock than that.

JT30 was the closest they've ever been to playing a Greatest Hits show... if we exclude Glastonbury, that is.
    No Slane was the closest we’ve been to a greatest hits if we exclude Glastonbury. Half of the JT not being hits is the same as playing 6 new songs at a show. Like I mentioned earlier I&E paris had the exact same balance. Slane had 5 new songs some of which were already well known hits by that gig. Only wake up dead man was an obscure song. But the rest of the elevation tour they played 6 or 7 new songs and the rest hits. Vertigo and 360 had less from the albums at points but did have a few songs in the set by that point that weren’t hits although the balance was probably still similar. It’s easy to call JT a hits tour but when you actually analyse it there wasn’t much difference to their other tours and it definitely wasn’t the most hits heavy tour show when comparing to Slane.
  2. JT30 was not GH. Take RTSS, RHMT, IGC, TTYW, OTH, Exit, MOTD and put them into any other tour setlist (360, eXperience, etc) and the response is not "oh, they added 7 GH's", it would be "Holy Sh*t, they played 7 rarities"
  3. Maybe not technically greatest hits but JT30 was definitely a Nostalgia Act move.
  4. I was claiming it wasn’t a nostalgia tour at the time but I’m sure I posted since saying that it could be described as that. It was a tour celebrating an album from the past so yes that is nostalgia. But only a nostalgia tour u2 didn’t suddenly become a nostalgia act despite some claiming that. They released and toured a brand new album right on the back of JT30, if JT30 was a nostalgia tour by definition the new album and tour proved that the band weren’t a nostalgia act by definition. Same with AB30, people saying if they were to do that they will have cemented their place as a nostalgia act but again by definition no they wouldn’t have if they followed it up with a new album and tour. But yes JT30/32 a nostalgia tour but not any more of a greatest hits show than several other shows and tours they’ve done.
  5. Glastonbury was just an average gig by their standards, the only reason it's still talked about is because it's a case of 'what could have been'. There was potential for it to join the all-time great Glasto sets but it simply didn't live up to expectations.

They were very unfortunate with the weather - they missed out on the perfect conditions of 2010 and it must be hard work performing in the pouring rain when the crowd's spirits aren't exactly at their highest. They could have tweaked the setlist better too; Boots, MoS and Stay (as good as the latter is) have no place in a festival set. NYD, Desire. AIWIY and/or AoH would have recieved far better reactions. The order was off too, ending with OoC is great for us but a bit of a damp squib for a casual crowd. They should have stuck with their original version of the set as that was far better.

Excluding that horrendous timing error during the opening moments and the Streets intro wobble, it still has its moments. I often go back to One and WOWY, they defintitely had the crowd for those two.
  6. Originally posted by cyborgninja117:Glastonbury was just an average gig by their standards, the only reason it's still talked about is because it's a case of 'what could have been'. There was potential for it to join the all-time great Glasto sets but it simply didn't live up to expectations.

They were very unfortunate with the weather - they missed out on the perfect conditions of 2010 and it must be hard work performing in the pouring rain when the crowd's spirits aren't exactly at their highest. They could have tweaked the setlist better too; Boots, MoS and Stay (as good as the latter is) have no place in a festival set. NYD, Desire. AIWIY and/or AoH would have recieved far better reactions. The order was off too, ending with OoC is great for us but a bit of a damp squib for a casual crowd. They should have stuck with their original version of the set as that was far better.

Excluding that horrendous timing error during the opening moments and the Streets intro wobble, it still has its moments. I often go back to One and WOWY, they defintitely had the crowd for those two.
    100% agree đź‘Ť
  7. Originally posted by cyborgninja117:Glastonbury was just an average gig by their standards, the only reason it's still talked about is because it's a case of 'what could have been'. There was potential for it to join the all-time great Glasto sets but it simply didn't live up to expectations.

Agree đź‘Ť"40 "would have been a great way to end it the whole crowd would have joined in ,I will follow ,Bad,WOWY ,Streets were the stand out moments for me.I think the problem with regards some of the song choices was that they hadn't played a festival in such a long time so they were taking a gamble with some of the song choices not knowing how'd they work in front of festival audience however if they were to play there again which is possible (as Michael Eavis has told them they are welcome to come back) they'd probably take a completely different approach and play a more appropriate setlist.
  8. I wonder how the JT performance at Bonnaroo festival went. No reviews on the show page and that was a very bold set to play at a festival compared to Glastonbury.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:I wonder how the JT performance at Bonnaroo festival went. No reviews on the show page and that was a very bold set to play at a festival compared to Glastonbury.
    I was just thinking about this too.
    First of all, im surprised Glasto in middle of their own tour, didnt turn them off trying another festival mid-tour again...
    2ndly, it seems they didnt have to cater anything to Bonnarro like they did for Glasto. Meaning, they kept their own stage, same stage time, kept their setlist exactly the same as any other JT tour stop...
  10. U2 turn down Glastonbury headliner ( source RTE.ie)

U2 - Declined Glastonbury 2005

After months of speculation, U2 have ruled themselves out of headlining next year's Glastonbury Festival.

The Irish band had been the favourites to play the Saturday night slot that was last year filled by Paul McCartney.

Festival founder Michael Eavis told Virtual Festivals that the band have reluctantly declined his invitation due to a world tour next summer.

"U2 are not doing it. We heard last week," he explained. "They are doing a tour with Clear Channel and it would get in the way of their schedule. But their manager said they will do it at some point in the future."

Now that would have been interesting they basically had them signed up at the time but they pulled out .
  11. Originally posted by popmarter:U2 turn down Glastonbury headliner ( source RTE.ie)

U2 - Declined Glastonbury 2005

After months of speculation, U2 have ruled themselves out of headlining next year's Glastonbury Festival.

The Irish band had been the favourites to play the Saturday night slot that was last year filled by Paul McCartney.

Festival founder Michael Eavis told Virtual Festivals that the band have reluctantly declined his invitation due to a world tour next summer.

"U2 are not doing it. We heard last week," he explained. "They are doing a tour with Clear Channel and it would get in the way of their schedule. But their manager said they will do it at some point in the future."

Now that would have been interesting they basically had them signed up at the time but they pulled out .

Not so - "ruled out" is not the same as "pulled out"

It was a wish that remained unfulfilled in 2005.
  12. Originally posted by MattG:[..]

Not so - "ruled out" is not the same as "pulled out"

It was a wish that remained unfulfilled in 2005.
    They had given him a verbal agreement to do it that year which he has said in various interviews so yeah it is pulled out ,and they had agreed to do it other years but messed him around by not signing on the dotted line.