2011-06-24 - Glastonbury
Tournée: Various Dates
Morceaux joués: 20
Enregistrement audio: 2
Vidéos: 1
  1. Originally posted by wbarenno:[..]
    Yeah I totally see what your saying mate. Everyone’s opinions are different, the show does seem to divide people. The show definitely came across better on tv then it did being there. The bootleg is very good I think.

Would a perfect Glastonbury show be as good as a 360 show?Yeah I think you might be right the 360 show would always maybe be better. Agree with you to a certain degree.

U2 at Glastonbury should have been “THE”Glastonbury gig though . It had the potential to be. There’s been a lot of Glastonbury footage on this weekend. Radiohead 97 REM 99 best of’s etc U2 don’t get mentioned at all.

I’d been to Glastonbury numerous times beforehand and it was a dream seeing u2 there. Even though I don’t think it lived up to expectations and could have been better it was still incredible seeing them there and a good u2 gig is still better then 99% of other gigs 😃
    Just to expand further on your opinion of the recordings are they tarnished somewhat by your personal experience or is it actually nice to have a better listening/watching experience to remember the show by compared to what it was like in person? I agree btw that yes even if it wouldn’t have been as good as a great u2 tour show U2’s performance at Glastonbury did have the potential to be one of the special Glastonbury performances in general compared to other Glastonbury performances. Part of me would love to see them have another go at it. What’s the worst that could happen.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Just to expand further on your opinion of the recordings are they tarnished somewhat by your personal experience or is it actually nice to have a better listening/watching experience to remember the show by compared to what it was like in person? I agree btw that yes even if it wouldn’t have been as good as a great u2 tour show U2’s performance at Glastonbury did have the potential to be one of the special Glastonbury performances in general compared to other Glastonbury performances. Part of me would love to see them have another go at it. What’s the worst that could happen.
    Nah I enjoy listening to it . It’s very rare I’ll actually watch the gig back but I do listen to the recording now and again. I enjoy listening to it.

Yeah there’s a part of me that would love to see them have another crack at it but i don’t ever see that happening.

One thing that I thought was guaranteed to happen was when love comes to town with bb king. He was there so I’m not sure why that didn’t happen
  3. The set I think they should have done

1 Where the streets have no name ( Joshua tree 87 style)
    2 I will follow
    3 vertigo
    4 beautiful day
    5 until the end of the world
    6 New Year’s Day
    7 sunday Bloody Sunday
    8 still haven’t found what I’m looking for ( with choir)
    9 elevation
    10 mysterious ways
    11 Desire
    12 Angel of Harlem
    13 When Love Comes to town ( BB King)
    14 Pride
    15 Bad
    16 with or without you

17 even better then the real thing
    18 the fly
    19 one
  4. Or if they wanted to have the achtung baby material at the beginning

1 even better then the real thing
    2 the fly
    3 mysterious ways
    4 until the end of the world
    5 one
    6 New Year’s Day
    7 Sunday Bloody Sunday
    8 still haven’t found what I’m looking for
    9 I will follow
    10 desire
    11 angel of Harlem
    12 when love comes to town
    13 bad /40
    14 where the streets have no name
    15 with or without you
    16 pride

17 beautiful day
    18 elevation
    19 vertigo

Get on your boots, moment of surrender, stay and out of control shouldn’t have been in the set in my opinion
  5. Here’s my idea

1. Real Thing
    2. The fly
    3. Mysterious ways
    4. Until the end of the world
    5. One
    6. Pride
    7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
    8. City Of Blinding Lights
    9. Vertigo
    10. I Will Follow
    11. Magnificent (Some NLOTH representation)
    12. Stay
    13. Elevation
    14. Beautiful Day
    15. Bad/40 snippet
    16. Where The Streets Have No Name

Encore
    17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    18. New Years Day
    19. With Or Without You
  6. The whole flop was: greatest hit show instead playing the new stuff
    Like u2 only plays their greatest hits every show you see them
  7. Originally posted by Pipo:The whole flop was: greatest hit show instead playing the new stuff
    The whole flop was that it wasn't very good.
  8. Originally posted by Pipo:The whole flop was: greatest hit show instead playing the new stuff
    That’s a nonsense, the band have been playing anything upwards of 6 new songs at the vast majority of tour shows right from the beginning of their career. The only times they dropped below that were the very end of the Vertigo tour and a fair bit of the 360 tour. I doubt there’s any band that have promoted new material the way u2 have. Glastonbury however wasn’t the time to be promoting a 2 year old album which wasn’t really a crowd pleasing album either, playing Boots and moment of surrender were 2 of the biggest mistakes on the night imo.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    That’s a nonsense, the band have been playing anything upwards of 6 new songs at the vast majority of tour shows right from the beginning of their career. The only times they dropped below that were the very end of the Vertigo tour and a fair bit of the 360 tour. I doubt there’s any band that have promoted new material the way u2 have. Glastonbury however wasn’t the time to be promoting a 2 year old album which wasn’t really a crowd pleasing album either, playing Boots and moment of surrender were 2 of the biggest mistakes on the night imo.
    You didn't get Papo's point.

The band sold themselves as a greatest hits act - which you and I know they aren't, but not the wide audience out there. They play the biggest festival on Earth and their first in 25 years and they go all-in with a greatest hits set - what do people out there think of U2? That they are a greatest hits act.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    You didn't get Papo's point.

The band sold themselves as a greatest hits act - which you and I know they aren't, but not the wide audience out there. They play the biggest festival on Earth and their first in 25 years and they go all-in with a greatest hits set - what do people out there think of U2? That they are a greatest hits act.
    I see now when he said ‘like u2 only plays their greatest hits…’ he was being sarcastic. I guess maybe people would think that, but most bands stick with the hits at Glastonbury when they’ve got the hits to play. I don’t think playing 5 or 6 songs of NLOTH would have went down as well with fans at glastonbury or the fans at home compared to what they did play even though that didn’t fully please people either. Songs like ultra Violet and Zooropa might have added something to the set for die hard fans plus I think even though they wouldn’t have been the most well known they could have done something with the lighting and screen to make them stand out.
  11. Originally posted by Pipo:The whole flop was: greatest hit show instead playing the new stuff
    When you play a festival you cannot play what ypu would to your regular audience.
  12. At least we are still talking about it ten years later.