1. I do like Smashing Pumpkins, but don't know if I could get into them now from scratch now.

They definately reflect a specific time period when grunge was breaking. Saw them at Nottingham Rock City just after Siamese Dream came out again at Glastonbury after Mellon Collie.

Lost it just before Machina although I do love Try, Try, Try.

Occasionaly listen to them again particularly Mellon. As someone else said Nivana defined my late teens but played it so much can't listen to it anymore.

2. Originally posted by SlammerKenya:I do like Smashing Pumpkins, but don't know if I could get into them now from scratch now.

They definately reflect a specific time period when grunge was breaking. Saw them at Nottingham Rock City just after Siamese Dream came out again at Glastonbury after Mellon Collie.

Lost it just before Machina although I do love Try, Try, Try.

Occasionaly listen to them again particularly Mellon. As someone else said Nivana defined my late teens but played it so much can't listen to it anymore.

They are a "nineties" band to me. As I have stated (several times), I love Siamese Dream and a few other tracks but I do feel that their time has passed for me.
  3. I happen to be a huge fan of The Pumpkins.
    Let me ask you all, what do you think of the songs the band have released periodically through their website?
    So far my favourite one is the latest, "Lightning Strikes", Pukka.
  4. I'm really into the Pumpkins at the moment, and I'm currently listening to Pisces Iscariot - starting to branch out onto their b-sides.

Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are all great records, and I really could not decide which is better.

Also, they are releasing a new album called 'Oceania' in June. Looking forward to what it sounds like. And reportedly, they are releasing Mellon Collie as a re-issue late this year. I'd kill to get that on 180gram triple-vinyl.
  5. That reissue is gonna be expensive as all hell. Expect $100 or over. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Siamese Dream is their best for me, without a doubt.
  6. I was a pretty big Pumpkins fan back in the 1990's - their first three studio albums are all excellent with Siamese Dream being their best. I picked up the deluxe version of it last December. The accompanying concert is absolutely outstanding.

Pisces Iscariot has some solid tracks - "Starla" is one of the band's best tunes.

Not too sure if I'll get their new album. I haven't really liked much of their work since Machina, although the song "Taranchula" from a few years back was pretty solid and I liked that song "Honestly" by Zwan.

(after reading a few previous posts of mine in this thread, I have added nothing new/relevant - in other words, I am a broken record).
  7. The reissue will be expensive, no doubt about it. If they release Mellon Collie on remastered vinyl, I would not be surprised if it passes triple vinyl and goes to quadtriple 180gram vinyl. If it's anything over £50, I won't buy it.
  8. I believe they issued MC&IS on vinyl back in 1995. I think it was three LP's(six sides) long. It also contained two "bonus tracks" - one with the same title as the album itself and "Tonite Reprise" which was too bad (I have the Tonight, Tonight CD single - and the 1979 one, too).

Yeah, I was really a big fan of Billy and friends in 1995/1996. They were at the top of the world but things changed with the whole keyboardist incident and kicking Jimmy out. I eagerly anticipated the release of Adore in 1998 which, to me anyway, was a bit of a disappointment. Anyway, they left their mark on the music industry and anything else after this is "gravy" to me.
  9. Yup, Mellon Collie is 3 LP's, and the cheapest I've ever seen it is £150.
  10. Wow...that's expensive.

Did you get either of the Siamese Dream or Gish reissues?
  11. Nah, I didn't. I'm hoping to get the Gish one. I'm not sure if I'll get the Siamese Dream reissue as I already have the original copy.

You got the Siamese Dream one, didn't you?