1. Language doesn't bother me. But we'll see what others think.
  2. I won't be particularly bothered by other languages.

This coming week's album will be posted shortly!
  3. This week's Album of the Week was chosen by bartajax, and he has picked...

Pocket Revolution by dEUS!

Here's what he had to say about it:

I choose dEUS - Pocket Revolution. Belgium rock band, their best album for me. Most guys here probably haven't heard of them, so take this chance to get to know them.
    They have been around for quite a while but, if I'm correct, they aren't very succesful outside of Belgium.

1. Bad Timing
    2. 7 Days, 7 Weeks
    3. Stop-Start Nature
    4. If You Don't Get What You Want
    5. What We Talk About (when we talk about love)
    6. Include Me Out
    7. Pocket Revolution
    8. Nightshopping
    9. Cold Sun Of Circumstance
    10. The Real Sugar
    11. Sun Ra
    12. Nothing Really Ends

You can find the entire album streaming online at this link, since I don't believe it is on Spotify (not in the US, anyway).

Any posts about last week's album, Welcome to the Monkey House, can still be submitted and discussed through the end of the night, but please take this coming week to enjoy Bart's selection - Pocket Revolution!!
  4. I think the Dandy Warhols album is pretty cool. The songs have a cool dynamic as many have said with the singer going from what is almost a whisper, to a more full voice. I also think the album sometimes gets a bit annoying, with some quite repetitive stuff. As other people have said the lyrics could use some more meaning too. All in all, a nice album though. Good choice, Matt!

I think I've heard of dEUS before, never listened to them though. Found it on Spotify here in Sweden
  5. It's funny that the next album has been a dEUS one, since my review about the Dandy's album includes them hahaha
  6. Sorry Matt, didn't really think about the way people should listen to... Luckily you found a streaming option
  7. Ok, so about that BohemianLikeYou-guys album... I liked it a lot, even though I already knew about half of the songs.

The Dandy Warhols - Welcome To The Monkey House

1. Welcome to the Monkey House - great intro, gotta love it.
    2. We Used to Be Friends - I obviously knew it. The Dirty Day-rip-off bassline Great song
    3. Plan A - as you all have pointed out, it's great how the singer goes from a whispered, low-tuned intro to that reverbing falsetto. The music becomes a little boring after a while, and this is an issue that turns up too often throughout the rest of the album. They do a lot of chill-out, repeating songs and that isn't a bad thing on its own, but it surprised me since I was used to more straightforward rock by them.
    4. The Dope/Wonderful You - it would be a great song if it didn't had vocals, sincerely My least fav? Probably.
    5. Scientist - This one sounds totally like dEUS to me. I realized it on my first listen, and sucesive listens have confirmed it to me. And I love dEUS, so it's a good thing. If someone has listened to The Architect by dEUS will know what I'm talking about. Dynamic sound, guitar and keys/synths just complementing the song's main rhythm section, group vocals... Gotta love it.
    6. I Am Over It - Ok, so let's see if we can do this in one toke take. Another sonically great song that becomes boring from minute 2 on due to an excessive use of repetitive beats. BUT it's one of my favs in the album. Dull lyrics? Repetitive music? Maybe. But I like it. A lot.
    7. The Dandy Warhols Love Almost Everyone - WTF. WTF?
    8. Insincere - Same as I Am Over It (same theme too)... Gotta love it. It's all about the atmosphere here, and gotta love me some slow song in the middle of all the sonic frenzy. Greatttt.
    9. The Last High - what a great "depressed rock-star ballad"!! Wow. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with this song. Best of the album? Maybe. Probably.
    10. Heavenly - dEUS again. Like it. Repeating vocals complement repeating music to prove that the sum of the parts can be much greater than the parts alone
    11. I Am Sound - one of the best lyrics in the album (and some Beatles-ish doubled vocals) with a great trippy music background, gotta love it. The small guitar break at 2:50, with two guitars playing different parts on each channel, is gold. Like the Velvet Underground, but better. Hahaha.
    12. Rock Bottom - maybe too much going on in the background to properly enjoy the melody? Anyway, "The boys keep swinging, the girls keep bringing" sounds totally like Girls Keep Drinking by dEUS, and I obvioulsly like that. Likeable song.
    13. You Come In Burned - I knew this one due to a Youtube suggestion after watching a Sigur Rós video. If you know Sigur, you will understand the reason of the suggestion GREAT intro, amazing main beat, incredible soundscape from 3:05 on. "I am maybe a loser, maybe a sinner. Either way, a perpetual beginner." , if these ain't great lyrics I don't know what they are. By the way, it's AWESOME live: watch a live version. Fantastic closer for a very good album.

Summary
    7'5/10. Enjoyable. Repetitive at times, but the dEUS influences kept me into it

Anyway, and this is something I really recommend: listen to the "alternative" version of the same album, published a few years ago. Less synths, more guitars and atmospheres... 100% recommended. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dandy_Warhols_Are_Sound Anyway, good choice Matt!! Bring the rest of them on!!
  8. So funny that you included so much dEUS in your review! I love it!
  9. I'll be in for this one. The cover is intriguing - will listen and give thoughts in a week.
  10. Just to write a little review on Welcome to the Monkey House... I wish I was able to write more since I really liked the album.

I didn't know this band before so this was the first time I've been listening to their music, and the first impression was really great!

This album has some amazing tunes.

We Used To Be Friends: This song is really great. It got stucked in my mind during the hole weekend, since it's very catchy. Thumbs up to the assline and guitar on this song.

Plan A: To say the truth, is gets a little repetitive, and I had this impression about the biggest part of the album, but the song it's catchy and the guitar reef is really cool.

I Am Over: Nice chill out song! The beat is not boring at all, and the guitar part in the middle/end of the song is really nice. Volcals on this and on the next song are probably the best on the album

Insincere: Maybe my favorite song from the album. The intro creates an amazing atmosphere, and the rest of the song manages to keep this. Guitar, vocals, synthetizers...they're amazing!

The Last High: One of the best songs here. Lyrics, vocals, bassline and beats flow in a perfect synchrony.

Rock Bottom: It's a dirty song (lots of sounds and things to listen at the same time), but I really like it. Guitars are great here!

You Come In Burned: Another amazing song! Love every second of it. Beats and vocal flow so well... Great way to close the album.

Also, I have to say that there's not bad songs on this album. As I said before, it gets repetitive at some moments, but this can't take the good parts alway from your listening.

7/10 in my opinion, and I'll probably listen to it more and more during the next days.

On to dEUS now
  11. ^ Good review there.

I was getting some stuff from the shop on Sunday afternoon and 'We Used To Be Friends' was playing. It was quite a coincidence. Then heard 'Ordinary Love' as well.